American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is interesting as we have booked American Airlines for our trip in November. Traveling from Wednesday to Wednesday from Atlanta to DFW to CZM. Delta has abandoned me again, as they are fickle regarding the seasons they fly directly from Atlanta to CZM. This is frustrating as I get a very spoiled and entitled feeling only to have it snatched out from under me.

Originally our AA departing flight was from Atlanta to Miami to CZM, but that one has already been cancelled and AA switched the flights from a layover in Miami to a layover in DFW. I don't really care except for now we only have a 45 minute layover in DFW.

Is 45 minutes enough time?
Going out, you may be OK if the weather doesn't screw up your plans, but coming back a 45 minute layover likely wouldn't be nearly enough. By the time you get off the plane from CZM your continuing flight would already be boarding and you wouldn't have been through Immigration, Customs, and TSA screening yet. I always schedule a two hour minimum layover at my point of entry into the US, and even then I have missed my connection a couple of times.

Going out, you may be OK if the weather doesn't screw up your plans, but coming back a 45 minute layover likely wouldn't be nearly enough. By the time you get off the plane from CZM your continuing flight would already be boarding and you wouldn't have been through Immigration, Customs, and TSA screening yet. I always schedule a two hour minimum layover at my point of entry into the US, and even then I have missed my connection a couple of times.
Hopefully we’ll be okay. We have an hour and 20 minute layover on our way home in DFW. If I miss that flight, I won’t care as much. I don’t want to miss our departing flight when we are going on vacation.

Is 45 minutes enough time?
If your inbound flight is on time and the departing flight is in the same terminal. I have done many similar, but sometimes you get rerouted to the next plane to Cancun. You can complain to customer care and maybe get refunds for bus & ferry.

There's a sale for Iberostar but I'm reluctant to book this non-refundable rate since our dates are too far out for me to see fares on American. I've always been able to fly from Chicago to Cozumel on AA for well under $500/pp but if we're going to have to pay $700 range, I'd rather go to Roatan or Bonaire.

There's a sale for Iberostar but I'm reluctant to book this non-refundable rate since our dates are too far out for me to see fares on American. I've always been able to fly from Chicago to Cozumel on AA for well under $500/pp but if we're going to have to pay $700 range, I'd rather go to Roatan or Bonaire.
Then again I remember the signs on McDonalds for a 'Meal on a Bun for under 1', lately that Big Mac combo meal is running $12 plus tax

i flew to roatan on miles both times (~$850+)
Miles or $850? Or did you spend miles that They value at $850? The mileage game was fun in the 80s, a riot in 1988 when Delta kicked off the triple mileage fun, but it's deteriorated so much since, since they've tied miles to credit card spending. The 2% rebates on some cards is much rmore rewarding. I see tickets from DFW to RTB at under $700 RT.

Sadly, $700 is probably the new normal to Cozumel for any ‘decent’ flight. Even more to Roatan or Bonaire.
I've never spent more than $650 to fly to Roatan or Bonaire and awards for both destinations have been good for the past several years - 25k miles or less for RT on American. Part of the appeal of Mexico for me has been airfare in the $300-range so if that's eliminated (along with nonstop flights) then it's harder for Cozumel to compete with other Caribbean destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom