More silly airline games

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always think its hilarious they charge people to put luggage under the plane and its free to carry on.

Well that depends on the airline and the ticket category.... Even the Major US carries are now charging for carry ons for certain budget tickets.

Conversely SouthWest still gives you checked bags for free, but you could are they have this built into the ticket.

That happened on a United flight for us a few years ago. We were in row 30 or something, third from last and figured we'd be sitting awhile and was surprised when the back door opened and we were quick to exit. Also heard someone nearby grumbling that their bags were way up front.

I recall front and back debark for nearly every United flight I've had to Cozumel (going through IAH). This was certainly the case for our trip in May.... Got a good deal on airfare so paid for one person to move up to mid plane as a hedge for getting a good spot in the immigration line. The person first off the plane in our group was randomly seated, so go figure.

It was mythbusters episode 222. They tested several boarding strategies. The two major factors are boarding time AND satisfaction. The boarding process with decent times and highest satisfaction was a complicated reverse pyramid strategy... zones > back to front in multiple zones and windows out to isle. See the link for full summary of results.

Makes sense as you are spreading the drag asses across multiple areas simultaneously. But, I don't see people in small groups wanting to split up at boarding time nor the airlines willing to give up revenue for those that will pay more for priority boarding. Then there is a certain level of expectation by passengers who bought into higher categories of seats.
And in the experiment, all of the passengers were paying attention, could understand the announcements, and did as instructed. In real life, we feel herded anyway and tend to follow the herd, except we're not paying close attention even if we could understand the announcements.

United is my airline of choice due to CC perks and location (near IAH). Either they are going to jack up prices to pay for all these new aircraft or they will over purchase capacity and have to run fare sales... hoping for the later.

We had an office in The Woodlands. I flew weekly for 5 years from EWR. Then we acquired Transco. So I flew for another 5 to the Galleria. Made 2M the hard way. Continental was a great airline. United meh. But I'm stuck with them.

I recall front and back debark for nearly every United flight I've had to Cozumel (going through IAH).
That's weird to see. Except for the past two years I have been flying into Cozumel from IAH on United (the flight that gets to CZM around noon) at least once a year ever since they devoured Continental, and not once could I get on or off the plane through a rear door.

I called this morning and got on the callback list with a promised to call me back in less than an hour, and they did. The agent was very courteous, helpful, and accommodating. The dates and flights that I said that I could live with were at least $200 more than I paid, but she made those happen at no extra charge.
And the trip worked fine. I took a seat further back on the DFW-CZM flight, and we deplaned from the rear door getting into the Immigration line earlier than half of the plane. My return CZM-DFW plane was only 10% full it seemed. Checking in for my departure from CZM was easy enough with my printed negative Covid test. There was an additional form to fill out, but the agent was very helpful. We got into DFW early, I breezed thru I&C, and cleared standby on an earlier connection to Lubbock. My bags didn't make it, but they delivered those the next day. No FF-miles were awarded since I used the credit card voucher I guess. The biggest challenge was finding a convenience store with milk on the way home. I had to hit three stores, and the last one had a closed register, but I talked her into taking my cash.

At least your changes don't involve a reroute through IAH, then switching airports HOU to DFW, like they screwed me with one year coming back from TnC :rofl3:

Edit: forgot to mention the 5 hr layover, we could have driven home faster!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom