American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many times throughout a year is American willing to fly half-empty planes to the island? Is it really a profitable destination for the airline, or are the others getting out of a losing site? I wonder? The new Tulum airport might be a significant competitor, and the excessive Mexican taxes & fees could well be a business problem.

How many times throughout a year is American willing to fly half-empty planes to the island? Is it really a profitable destination for the airline, or are the others getting out of a losing site? I wonder? The new Tulum airport might be a significant competitor, and the excessive Mexican taxes & fees could well be a business problem.
I don't see how flying into Tulum would be any better than flying into Cancun. They are about the same distance from the PdC ferry.

Why doesn’t a Mexican airline run trips to the island from Hobby ?
Not profitable?

May be more complicated than just that... Same way SWA didnt fly from DFW becauseof the wright ammendment ....

IDK to be honest. but we have seens many flights eliminated from the mix from DFW to CZM: Sun Country was the most recent, but there was ATA and several others.

Sun Country DFW to Cancun was $477, thats as far as I got because I know there will be bag feees and carry on fees.

Then I see Spirit to cancun - $350 without bag fees.

1714155514938.png

Then you consider the 3 hrs or time, aggravation and added cost for the bag drag, and you come to the conclusion that the bag drag is not worth it.

So thank you AA for chopping our nuts off. 🖕

Then you consider the 3 hrs or time, aggravation and added cost for the bag drag, and you come to the conclusion that the bag drag is not worth it.
That's my take on it, but DSFDF and YMMV.
So thank you AA for chopping our nuts off. 🖕
That's pretty harsh. I don't equate paying an extra couple hundred bucks to get to Cozumel with losing my testicles. :D

Sun Country DFW to Cancun was $477, thats as far as I got because I know there will be bag feees and carry on fees.
LBB-CZM RT would run me $3 more, and I have paid more for some years. American is worse for you from DFW for August, at least $553, but being nonstop is nice, and worth it really. I hate those 4-hour connections I usually get.
Then I see Spirit to cancun - $350 without bag fees.

1714155514938.png
Good lord, that sucks.
Then you consider the 3 hrs or time, aggravation and added cost for the bag drag,
The few times I have gone through Cancun haven't been so bad except for the times I had to go into the city to see a dentist first, dragging bags thru a department store. Usually, it's easy enough to hop on the bus, take a nap, wake up to watch for my bags if we make an interim stop, then get off in PDC to hail a porter - if the ferries are running ok. At least you can get a private cab when you arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom