Question LAX to Cozumel via Hobby airport on Southwest Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue steal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see that Southwest Airlines has flights from LAX to Hobby airport/Houston and to Cozumel.
Was looking at flights mid April to May and see where the layover in Hobby is 1 hour and 20 minutes on Sundays and about 1 hour 5 minutes during the week.
Is this enough time to change planes.
Returning is a 3 hour layover so no problems there.
Never flew into Hobby only IAH on United so not sure how quick things go.
Love the 2 bags checked free on SW and the no change fees, even refundable for a few dollars more.
Prices seems quite favorable compared to United with RT on SW around $360.
United has pricing in the 600 dollar range with the shortest layovers around 5 hours in Houston each way.
Any thoughts?

It'll probably work. I haven't been in Hobby in decades, and I'm sure it's changed a lot, but I'm fine with one-hour changes in DFW and IAH. Chief will probably chime in tomorrow.
United has pricing in the 600 dollar range
American and United have fares in the $300+range almost every day from April 15 to May 15 depending on how many nights you want to stay.
1643784363754.png

If no delay, you should be fine. I haven't had a connection in HOU myself but when flying out never come to it more than ~1hr before the flight and that includes security. Southwest is in the same terminal so it will be less than 10min walk.

We are frequent fliers out of Hobby. You should have no problem at all making your connection provided your arriving flight is on time or even reasonably late.

Chiming in tomorrow:

Hobby is AWESOME. We have been running SWA BWI-Hobby-CZM as the wife likes arriving on Isla rather than CUN, even though CUN gets us on the island faster.

Having gone through Hou and DFW, Hobby seems much more laid back. Immigration/Customs never has been busy. Like one plane in line at a time. (I had to sit and watch a couple waiting to do my Global Entry renewal.)

If I have to change planes and do immigration between flights, this is the place.

And we love SWA. Their companion pass from their rewards program has to be the best in the business.

Weather delays do happen so make sure they have backup flights, to the island or at least Cancun in case you get to Houston late. DFW & Houston are infamous for weather problems, poor choices for airline hubs, but oh well.

Weather delays do happen so make sure they have backup flights, to the island or at least Cancun in case you get to Houston late. DFW & Houston are infamous for weather problems, poor choices for airline hubs, but oh well.

Weather is also better at Hobby.....

Weather is also better at Hobby.....
:funny: IAH elevation is 97 feet while Hobby is 46. Houston was built in a swamp, one of the early land scams in the state, and flooding happens. Galveston was the original up-and-coming city in the area until it got leveled by the 1900 hurricane.

DFW & Houston are infamous for weather problems...
So are the airports in Chicago, New York, Miami, New Orleans, etc. The time of year that they have problems varies, though.

DFW is #3 for weather related delays, IAH wasn’t listed in the top 10. I didn’t look further. Newark was #1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom