Trip Report Puerto Galera Philippines: March 23 - April 2, 2024 - SCANDI DIVERS - Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Kimela

very nice trip report, thank you...

Few things:
1. Philippine Airlines is fine for flights in and around Asia, but across the Pacific I will avoid them at any cost. The planes are older, they are almost always crowded, and the service is average at best.

There are other options... United now flies direct to Manila from SFO. United is significanlty better than PAL. If flying through LAX is a requirement, EVA now flies 3x a day from LAX to TPE, and the flight from TPE to MNL is just about 2 hours, and they also fly this 3x a day (EVA is much better than PAL). This also gives you a chance to get off the plane, walk around for an hour or so in the Taipei Airport (which is nice), then fly to Manila. Basically. I will always try to avoid PAL across the Pacific...

The other thing I often do is spend the day in Manila vs. taking the transfer to Batangas right after getting of the flight.

2. The vis in PG. It's never much better (reagrdless of the moon phase) - the area is not known for great vis, because all that stuff in the water is what makes the life so abundant. If you want great vis in the Philippines you need to try places like Tubbataha (which can only be dived by liveaboard - but vis is great). The trade off is you don't get the diversity of critters.

3. On the delay in LAX: PAL gets their planes serviced in MNL. If something needs work in LAX it's a much bigger hassle for them. PAL flies that route twice a day (different planes, departing ~6 hours apart). There is a chance you were delayed by ~10 hours because your plane was swapped out for the next one, and it was going to take them ~4 hours to turn it around after landing (~6 hours before your eventual departure).

They could have done this for a couple of reasons:
1. There was a maintenance issue with your plane
2. Between the two flights scheduled, one was only lightly booked. They have cancelled one of the two flights quite often when that is the case. The problem is that in the US if they cancel a flight they owe a credit (meals, potentially a hotel stay,etc.). Eaiser for them to "delay" the flight, vs. cancelling it (in the US). In MNL, they will just cancel it (happens somewhat frequently).

Last - yes the winds across the Pacific (during the northern hemisphere winter and spring) are significant. A two hour flight different is about right. I was on a flight (last year) from HKG to SFO that was over 3 hours faster going east to west than what the pilot said was the typical time flying the same route west to east.

What you are saying about PAL seems to be right on the money. Won't fly them again. They ended up doing with our outbound flight was keep the flight number and called it a delay. We thought we were all going to be fighting for a spot on the next flight to MNL. Either way, it was frustrating - goes with the territory, but still painful. We were supposed to have a day in Manila and go to Batangas the next day, but that 10 hour delay ruined that for us. :(

We fly American most of the time and want to take advantage of the status we've built up for upgrades, the lounge, etc. When you get used to those things it's hard to not have them as options. Over the years we have chosen hotels in order to get loyalty points so that status has been hard-won (paid for in different ways)! We'll do our best to find an American or affiliate flight if/when we do that region again. But if not, I'll be using your advice, thank you.

The dive guides also said the viz was about average once the moon tides resolved. I just wasn't aware of it going there, so it caught me off guard. As much as possible we prefer to do land based trips - for local culture, the off chance there are troubles with the boat, bad weather, and the occasional drama of being on a boat with a bunch of folks you may not particularly love (that happened to us once - so much drama).

What you are saying about PAL seems to be right on the money. Won't fly them again. They ended up doing with our outbound flight was keep the flight number and called it a delay. We thought we were all going to be fighting for a spot on the next flight to MNL. Either way, it was frustrating - goes with the territory, but still painful. We were supposed to have a day in Manila and go to Batangas the next day, but that 10 hour delay ruined that for us. :(

We fly American most of the time and want to take advantage of the status we've built up for upgrades, the lounge, etc. When you get used to those things it's hard to not have them as options. Over the years we have chosen hotels in order to get loyalty points so that status has been hard-won (paid for in different ways)! We'll do our best to find an American or affiliate flight if/when we do that region again. But if not, I'll be using your advice, thank you.

The dive guides also said the viz was about average once the moon tides resolved. I just wasn't aware of it going there, so it caught me off guard. As much as possible we prefer to do land based trips - for local culture, the off chance there are troubles with the boat, bad weather, and the occasional drama of being on a boat with a bunch of folks you may not particularly love (that happened to us once - so much drama).
@Kimela

Completely understand the "staying with American and partners" thing - I try to exclusively fly Star Alliance flights for the same reason.

Given that PAL isn't a partner of anyone (the truth is, none of the big airlines want them in their Alliance - they've been trying), you have much better options. Both Cathay Pacific and JAL are One Wolrd partners, and both offer decent flight schedules to MNL (Cathay Pacific fly 5 times a day from HKG, and it's just a 2.5 hour flight). And if you want to fly American Airlines flights part of the way there (usually more points, etc.) you can fly an AA flight to Tokyo, then catch the once a day JAL flight to MNL (though the connection through HKG is more convenient).

The Philippines has some of the very best diving in the world (rivaling several places in Indonesia, depending on what you're looking for). The following is a somewhat unpopular opinion on this board, but PG is both convenient (I know, given the amount of travel...), and reasonably priced, but not some of the best diving (nor some of the more interesting areas to explore topside).

PG is often the first place people try in PH. My (strong) recommendation is look at it like landing in LAX, driving to Disneyland, and then assuming the rest of the US is like LA... there are much better, more interesting places to dive & explore - it will take a little more work to get there, but very much worthwhile (pardon the tortured comparison, because PG is definitely not "Disneyland" either...)

Last - you likely heard this while there - the trip you took to Verde Island put you at the very center of the Coral Triangle - themarine environment around the island is believed to be the center of marine biodiversity in the world. They aren't the easiest dives, but worth doing once...

@Kimela

Completely understand the "staying with American and partners" thing - I try to exclusively fly Star Alliance flights for the same reason.

Given that PAL isn't a partner of anyone (the truth is, none of the big airlines want them in their Alliance - they've been trying), you have much better options. Both Cathay Pacific and JAL are One Wolrd partners, and both offer decent flight schedules to MNL (Cathay Pacific fly 5 times a day from HKG, and it's just a 2.5 hour flight). And if you want to fly American Airlines flights part of the way there (usually more points, etc.) you can fly an AA flight to Tokyo, then catch the once a day JAL flight to MNL (though the connection through HKG is more convenient).

The Philippines has some of the very best diving in the world (rivaling several places in Indonesia, depending on what you're looking for). The following is a somewhat unpopular opinion on this board, but PG is both convenient (I know, given the amount of travel...), and reasonably priced, but not some of the best diving (nor some of the more interesting areas to explore topside).

PG is often the first place people try in PH. My (strong) recommendation is look at it like landing in LAX, driving to Disneyland, and then assuming the rest of the US is like LA... there are much better, more interesting places to dive & explore - it will take a little more work to get there, but very much worthwhile (pardon the tortured comparison, because PG is definitely not "Disneyland" either...)

Last - you likely heard this while there - the trip you took to Verde Island put you at the very center of the Coral Triangle - themarine environment around the island is believed to be the center of marine biodiversity in the world. They aren't the easiest dives, but worth doing once...
Verde Island was a good trip, but when offered the chance to do it a second time (at a reasonable cost) we chose to stay back to do a couple of muck dives (that's when I got my sheep nudi).

We may spend the money on Premium Economy next time around. I'm too old to be that uncomfortable and not sleep for that long. If I were in my 20s-40s I think I'd tough it out again. But at almost 64 - and we don't have a goal to participate in the 'transfer of wealth' when we die - why not spend the money? We'll continue to do our other trips 'on the cheap'. And we're not considering expensive resorts if we go back.

We are thinking of Anilao. Is that a place you would recommend? Or would you go elsewhere?

Verde Island was a good trip, but when offered the chance to do it a second time (at a reasonable cost) we chose to stay back to do a couple of muck dives (that's when I got my sheep nudi).

We may spend the money on Premium Economy next time around. I'm too old to be that uncomfortable and not sleep for that long. If I were in my 20s-40s I think I'd tough it out again. But at almost 64 - and we don't have a goal to participate in the 'transfer of wealth' when we die - why not spend the money? We'll continue to do our other trips 'on the cheap'. And we're not considering expensive resorts if we go back.

We are thinking of Anilao. Is that a place you would recommend? Or would you go elsewhere?
@Kimela

If you like muck diving, Anilao is awesome.

My son and I recently came back from my 5th trip to Anilao, and in a couple of months our family is headed for Lembeh (my 4th time there). So, you can assume we live for muck diving :wink:

Anilao is amazing for critters. I know you mentioned the sheep nudi - during the night dive at "the pier" (not really a pier) you can usually find many of them... along with octopi, bobbit worms, etc. - all in about 15 feet of water.

Anilao is slightly more convenient than PG (no boat ride from Manila). You have a choice of many dive resorts, however a majority of them are a little more basic than what you find in PG. My favorite is Crystal Blue Dive Resort - in part because they have great DMs (who find the critters), the dive operation is very good, and Mike Bartick runs the best blackwater dive operation in the Philippines (he's one of the thought leaders worldwide, designed the model that virtually everyone else in PH follows, and runs the blackwater dive group on Facebook). Don't go just for the blackwater diving (although Mike runs "blackwater weeks" where you dive one or two dives during the day, and then multiple bw dives at night), go because the critters (nudis, octopi, frogfish, cuttlefish, etc.) are there in numbers. There are also some really beautiful coral reef dives...

One other thing:
Most of the resorts are built on the side of the hill - so there will be stairs (no way to avoid this in Anilao). Some rooms are closer to the beach (less stairs), some are nearer the top (lots of stairs). It's never bothered me, but others have complained.

Beyond Anilao:
1. Dumaguete (often called the "frogfish capital of the world") - more muck diving, in a more culturally interesting environment (also more visually appealing). The Atmosphere Resort is about as nice a dive resort as you can find in PH - a little expensive, but worth it if you want to be comfortable. We also like the Atlantis Dumaguete Resort (less expensive, very good diving op). There are several other options along this coast (the Dauin coast), depending on what you are looking for and want to pay. They all dive the same sites...

2. Malapascua:
Thresher sharks and very good macro - potentially one of the handful of places in the world where you have a very good chance of diving with thresher sharks (note: this is an early morning start to see them).

3. Palawan:
this is the most visually stunning part of the Philippines (think white sand beaches, incredible water colors, etc.). Usually with great vis,, schools of fish, some macro, etc.There are many resorts to choose from.

There are others (like Bohol), however this is a good starting point...

3. Palawan:
this is the most visually stunning part of the Philippines (think white sand beaches, incredible water colors, etc.). Usually with great vis,, schools of fish, some macro, etc.There are many resorts to choose from.
Where in Palawan?

@Centrals

Depends what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay (also if you want to avoid the "beginner scuba crowd").

We really liked Sangat Island Dive Resort...

Also - been to Tubbatah twice - great trip.
That is in Coron.
Dived those wrecks many times and mostly on LoB(tec).
I am talking the main province Palawan.
Tubattaha! Have been there 3 times many yrs ago, nothing to write home about.

I thought you might have been to places in Palawan that I never heard of.

@Kimela

If you like muck diving, Anilao is awesome.

My son and I recently came back from my 5th trip to Anilao, and in a couple of months our family is headed for Lembeh (my 4th time there). So, you can assume we live for muck diving :wink:

Anilao is amazing for critters. I know you mentioned the sheep nudi - during the night dive at "the pier" (not really a pier) you can usually find many of them... along with octopi, bobbit worms, etc. - all in about 15 feet of water.

Anilao is slightly more convenient than PG (no boat ride from Manila). You have a choice of many dive resorts, however a majority of them are a little more basic than what you find in PG. My favorite is Crystal Blue Dive Resort - in part because they have great DMs (who find the critters), the dive operation is very good, and Mike Bartick runs the best blackwater dive operation in the Philippines (he's one of the thought leaders worldwide, designed the model that virtually everyone else in PH follows, and runs the blackwater dive group on Facebook). Don't go just for the blackwater diving (although Mike runs "blackwater weeks" where you dive one or two dives during the day, and then multiple bw dives at night), go because the critters (nudis, octopi, frogfish, cuttlefish, etc.) are there in numbers. There are also some really beautiful coral reef dives...

One other thing:
Most of the resorts are built on the side of the hill - so there will be stairs (no way to avoid this in Anilao). Some rooms are closer to the beach (less stairs), some are nearer the top (lots of stairs). It's never bothered me, but others have complained.

Beyond Anilao:
1. Dumaguete (often called the "frogfish capital of the world") - more muck diving, in a more culturally interesting environment (also more visually appealing). The Atmosphere Resort is about as nice a dive resort as you can find in PH - a little expensive, but worth it if you want to be comfortable. We also like the Atlantis Dumaguete Resort (less expensive, very good diving op). There are several other options along this coast (the Dauin coast), depending on what you are looking for and want to pay. They all dive the same sites...

2. Malapascua:
Thresher sharks and very good macro - potentially one of the handful of places in the world where you have a very good chance of diving with thresher sharks (note: this is an early morning start to see them).

3. Palawan:

There are others (like Bohol), however this is a good starting point...
This is getting me excited about maybe going to Anilao! We had looked at Crystal Blue, for the reasons you're talking about. Also looked at Mike's Beach Resort. The macro sounds amazing. Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom