Thank you United Airlines ... NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the airlines are going through turmoil right now. American just announced they are preemptively cancelling a bunch of flights in November.

I'm expecting the remaining major carriers to do something similar.

I was going to post this link, I'm guessing multiple airlines are doing the exact same thing. Kinda interesting though, because it seems like in Nov/Dec the airlines add additional flights into places like Bonaire.

Careful what you wish for. Our flight home on American Airlines from Bonaire last Wednesday was delayed. Being able to make our connection was questionable. After taxiing to the end of the runway in preparation for takeoff we had to return to the terminal due to a rain. Now it would be impossible to make our connection. We finally arrived in Miami and proceeded to wait for an excruciating amount of time for the bags to appear from the depths of the luggage carousel. We spent the night at one of the Miami airport hotels. All expenses paid…by us!

Careful what you wish for. Our flight home on American Airlines from Bonaire last Wednesday was delayed. Being able to make our connection was questionable. After taxiing to the end of the runway in preparation for takeoff we had to return to the terminal due to a rain. Now it would be impossible to make our connection. We finally arrived in Miami and proceeded to wait for an excruciating amount of time for the bags to appear from the depths of the luggage carousel. We spent the night at one of the Miami airport hotels. All expenses paid…by us!

sounds like a weather delay and would fall under the below in AA's Conditions of Carriage:

Delays beyond our control (like weather)

If the delay is beyond our control, or you book your own arrangements without written authorization from American Airlines, you're responsible to pay for your hotel, meals and other expenses. An American Airlines agent may be able to help you find a hotel.

Most, if not all airline passenger contracts will have the same language. Whether they chose to make exceptions I can't say.

SMH at those who seek the lowest price but then expect the best performance. :(

Your comment is valid on a task that can be subjective. Like carpentry or a paint job or a haircut or a meal at a restaurant.

OP exchanged money for two tickets on defined days and specified timings.
The airline failed to keep part of the deal.
This failure is objective.

There's no performance involved.

sounds like a weather delay and would fall under the below in AA's Conditions of Carriage:
I’m aware and my intent was not to imply the airline was responsible for our overnight stay. Rather, all the airlines are increasingly overwhelmed, understaffed and very susceptible to disruption.

And a lot of fine print that you and the OP conveniently have ignored.
The airline sold a ticket on a plane for a price that they were unable or unwilling to fly. The guy didn't go to the airline and haggle for weeks to force them to sell a ticket at that price. If they decide at a later date that they don't want to fly the flight and refuse to accommodate the guy in some other way to get him to his destination on the day they agreed to, they deserve all the scorn they have earned. Nobody forced these airlines to sell cheap tickets or to schedule flights they would be unable to provide crews for. It is completely on them if they wait until a few days before the date to decide they don't want to fly it. It is laughable to blame somebody for buying a discounted plane ticket on an airline that is not a "budget" airline for getting screwed by that airline.

Don’t like how things are with the airlines, then don’t fly. Simple solution. I flew ORD to Cancun recently. I’d not flown domestically since 2015 and my last international flight was in 1998 to Canada. The whole experience was utterly miserable. I will not be repeating it any time soon.

This is not unique to United nor even AA. It is very frustrating and seems to have nothing to do with cheap flights or discounts. We have had 2 flights with Delta now cancelled and moved to days not compatible with our trips, Phoenix and just recently to Grand Cayman. Fortunately I was able to switch to AA.

As Soloist said our most recent flight from Bonaire was originally delayed by a late arrival from Miami then rain delayed but the icing on the cake was the late luggage after breezing through customs. My understanding is that luggage delays have been an ongoing problem from lack of crew.

Now with AA announcement of planned cancellations I am just waiting for the email changing my fall trips…

The airline sold a ticket on a plane for a price that they were unable or unwilling to fly. The guy didn't go to the airline and haggle for weeks to force them to sell a ticket at that price. If they decide at a later date that they don't want to fly the flight and refuse to accommodate the guy in some other way to get him to his destination on the day they agreed to, they deserve all the scorn they have earned. Nobody forced these airlines to sell cheap tickets or to schedule flights they would be unable to provide crews for. It is completely on them if they wait until a few days before the date to decide they don't want to fly it. It is laughable to blame somebody for buying a discounted plane ticket on an airline that is not a "budget" airline for getting screwed by that airline.
LOL. Good luck making that case with United.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom