Thank you United Airlines ... NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drip Dry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This past March I bought round trip Boston to Bonaire (connecting in Newark) airfare on United Airlines for my trip this December, got a really good price of $558 (hadn't see it that low since 2009).

Last Friday I get a 'contact us about your trip' message from United Airlines. They have cancelled my return flights and say that thay cannot rebook me on any same day return flight, instead they expect me to overnight (at my own expense) at some intermediate airport and take a connecting flight to Boston the next day.

To heck with that! I cancelled the entire reservation and rebooked on American Airlines, which was less expensive than Delta Airlines but still significantly more expensive than my original United Airlines airfare. The cost differential is probably a bit more than the cost of an overnight hotel would have been, but I did not want my return trip to drag out over two days.

I strongly suspect United Airlines purposely cancelled my return flights as some sort of a cost saving measure because they sold so many of the seats at a low price and now regret it.

Thank you United Airlines ... NOT!

I strongly suspect United Airlines purposely cancelled my return flights as some sort of a cost saving measure because they sold so many of the seats at a low price and now regret it.
Do you subscribe to a lot of conspiracy theories? 🤔

AA you say? :wink:

I'm guessing the EWR to BOS leg was the problem. If the BON to EWR portion remained essentially the same, then your conspiracy theory doesn't hold any water. Seems the easiest thing would have been to change destination airport to EWR and get a car and drive home. I don't know the details of your AA flight, but mine connected through MIA and going through passport control there sucked.

SMH at those who seek the lowest price but then expect the best performance. :(
That's probably the dumbest thing I'll read here today. Not cancelling a flight is not an example of "best performance", that's just basic expected delivery of a service such as not crashing or having the FA spit in your drink. It's not like he booked the original flight with a new low cost carrier; it's UAL , the 3rd largest in the USA.

That's probably the dumbest thing I'll read here today. Not cancelling a flight is not an example of "best performance", that's just basic expected delivery of a service such as not crashing or having the FA spit in your drink. It's not like he booked the original flight with a new low cost carrier; it's UAL , the 3rd largest in the USA.
It's not just the OP who booked the lowest price; there are many similar complaints....people are proud that they booked the lowest price and then complain when things go badly.

It's not just the OP who booked the lowest price; there are many similar complaints....people are proud that they booked the lowest price and then complain when things go badly.

Or people expecting things to go nicely with connecting flights these days.

United has been booking and then cancelling an exceptionally high percentage of international flights. It's a real PITA when a domestic flight gets changed or cancelled; even worse when dealing with flights overseas. They are now on my "do not fly" list unless they are the ONLY option. And then I just hope they don't screw up my itinerary.
To say we shouldn't expect proper service because we found the lowest advertised airfare for a given trip is ludicrous. Btw, from what I've seen, those paying the fare to sit up front are getting service that is just as bad as the economy seats. The first class ticket holders had the same flights cancelled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom