Thank you United Airlines ... NOT!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had similar problems with Air Canada, AA, and United over the past year. All of the airlines seem to be changing flight times and or cancelling last minute these days. I was on the AA flight last week from Bon to MIA the flight was delayed by an hour before the later rain delay. In MIA or bags were lost and we missed our connection. To their credit, AA did cover the overnight stay in MIA but I still lost a days's income. I'm learning to expect more delays and cancellations and trying to book much longer layovers than previous. I am also learning not to plan anything important the day after returning from a trip. I also think it better to book tickets directly with the airline and not to book a single trip through multiple carriers.
Travel ain't what it used to be.

I fly a lot for work. This is just how it is now. You can get upset, yell scream, say it's unfair but it's the new reality. I'm pleasantly surprised when my flight does get me where I'm supposed to be on time. I used to get worked up about it but have come to find the peace and inner tranquility that comes from just accepting this is the new normal. Flight to Miami on Saturday for a Key Largo diving trip, wish me luck!

The airline sold a ticket on a plane for a price that they were unable or unwilling to fly...
Did they?

To my knowledge Op still hasn't indicated the details of the flight that caused the issue. Unless I'm missing something, I am seeing flights every Saturday in Dec going between EWR and BON.

What I also see is there aren't BOS to EWR connections early enough on the way down, nor late enough on the way back, to actually work as connections. Without any info to the contrary, I'm inclined to think the problem with OP's flights in the EWR to BOS part, not the EWR to BON part.

Did they?

To my knowledge Op still hasn't indicated the details of the flight that caused the issue. Unless I'm missing something, I am seeing flights every Saturday in Dec going between EWR and BON.

What I also see is there aren't BOS to EWR connections early enough on the way down, nor late enough on the way back, to actually work as connections. Without any info to the contrary, I'm inclined to think the problem with OP's flights in the EWR to BOS part, not the EWR to BON part.
Well, they sold him a ticket allowing him to fly back from Bonaire to Boston without overnighting in Newark for a trip in December. Unless they have some futuristic weather forecasting skill they haven't shared with the world, they didn't cancel the flight from EWR to Boston due to weather. Therefore, it is likely that this was a situation like we have seen at all airlines recently, where they are cutting back from the ambitious post-covid schedules that they sold millions of tickets to fly, but now find they cannot adequately staff, or turn a profit on. So they are cutting thousands of flights to trim their schedule to what they can afford to staff.

All of which is to say that the criticism of the OP for buying a discounted fare during a fare sale shouldn't be seen as "you get what you pay for" when the fare was purchased from a major international carrier, not a discount airline with a reputation for poor service. If the OP was complaining about this on JetBlue or Spirit, I would be right there with Tursiops in telling him he should have expected this kind of thing from them. But up until a few months ago, this was not something United was known for. Surly and unfriendly FAs and gate agents, yes; cancelling flights, no.

Don’t like how things are with the airlines, then don’t fly. Simple solution. I flew ORD to Cancun recently. I’d not flown domestically since 2015 and my last international flight was in 1998 to Canada. The whole experience was utterly miserable. I will not be repeating it any time soon.
So you broke down and went diving in warm water? Disregarding the joys of flying these days, how was the diving? Bit more to see (and see farther) than what you're used to I'd wager. Just lacking (a lot) if one is into wreck diving.

So you broke down and went diving in warm water? Disregarding the joys of flying these days, how was the diving? Bit more to see (and see farther) than what you're used to I'd wager. Just lacking (a lot) if one is into wreck diving.

Full cave class. Very specific reasons/timeline to do it in MX. I passed my class. Very intense. Weather was horrid. I’ll stick to FL in the winter for non-Midwest cave diving in the future.

They have cancelled my return flights and say that thay cannot rebook me on any same day return flight, instead they expect me to overnight (at my own expense) at some intermediate airport and take a connecting flight to Boston the next day.
The OP's problem was the EWR-BOS leg, not any other segment.
I strongly suspect United Airlines purposely cancelled my return flights as some sort of a cost saving measure because they sold so many of the seats at a low price and now regret it.
Pure supposition. No evidence. Also -- I think -- against FAA regs. This is the start of the conspiracy theory.
I'm inclined to think the problem with OP's flights in the EWR to BOS part, not the EWR to BON part.
Yes, see above.
or turn a profit on.
Piling on to the conspiracy theory.
So they are cutting thousands of flights to trim their schedule to what they can afford to staff.
More piling on. If they haven't got the people, then affording them is not the issue.

The airlines are in disarray....WE are traveling at an unanticipated rate, and they have not got the people to staff the flights they scheduled to accommodate us. This is not just a problem with the airlines; it is true of nearly every restaurant and other service establishment I've been in in the last year.

I think all the airlines are having trouble. But yesterday, I had the very first one for this. Next week, I fly AA from Bonaire to Ind. So they changed my flight. I land in Miami at 6 pm. They say you need 2 hours for customs. Well they book me 1.5 hours later, flying out of Ft. Lauderdale. So they expected me to clear customs and drive to Ft. Lauderdale in 1.5 hours. Now that is what I call CRAZY!!! I am so use to doing customs in Aruba, I decide to fly from Bon to Cur to Aruba. Then AA from Aruba to Indiana. Never done that one before.

Back
Top Bottom