American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not understand the title of this thread; many other airlines provide service to and from Cozumel.

Nonstop direct doesn't mean stopping anywhere 😂
Is the second quoted statement meant to be a rebuttal of the first? If so, I don't get it.

mcohen1021:
Nonstop direct doesn't mean stopping anywhere
Those are two separate terms being conflated into one and doesn't exist. Non-stop means going from A to B without stopping anywhere. Direct means that you have one flight number, stay on the plane, but make one (or more) stop(s) along the way.

Those are two separate terms being conflated into one and doesn't exist. Non-stop means going from A to B without stopping anywhere. Direct means that you have one flight number, stay on the plane, but make one (or more) stop(s) along the way.
I think that a direct flight can also be nonstop, i.e., all nonstop flights are direct but not all direct flights are nonstop.

I think that a direct flight can also be nonstop, i.e., all nonstop flights are direct but not all direct flights are nonstop.
Yes, correct. For industry usage, the two terms are not interchangeable and in discussions, it'd be best if members would use the appropriate terms. If you want a nonstop flight, do not ask for direct.

Not by industry definition. They are two seperate things and should not be used interchangeably. If a direct flight is non-stop, it's not, by definition, a direct flight - it's non-stop.

Not by industry definition. They are two seperate things and should not be used interchangeably. If a direct flight is non-stop, it's not, by definition, a direct flight - it's non-stop.
FWIW, I didn't say they were interchangeable, but I can see why they would be used that way.

I haven't been on a direct flight under that definition/distinction in many years.

I can see why they would be used that way.
A mistake that leads to confusion.
I haven't been on a direct flight under that definition/distinction in many years.
Southwest used to have multistop direct flights. I don't know if they still do.

I think that a direct flight can also be nonstop

FWIW, I didn't say they were interchangeable

It does kinda read that way...

What have you been on that would require a new definition?

The funny part is that AA offers a flight from MIA-BON that has the same flight number as the return flight, BON-MIA. So, I guess, one could say that MIA-MIA, with a stop in BON, is a direct flight.
The MIA-CZM flight has the same number as the CZM-MIA flight, so it is also a direct MIA-MIA flight.

Back
Top Bottom