Trip Report BVI Aggressor - Awesome Trip and Crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just got back from the BVI Aggressor trip Jan 27-Feb 3. Thought I'd post a review.

The boat: Tons of space. Loved the room (I was even at the back). Service, Food and Diving was awesome.

Service wise, they went out of their way to help with gear, getting on / off the skiffs, etc. but bc it was so labor intensive, and they were short staffed, some of the smaller things you come to expect on Aggressor like a hot towel at the end of the dive, you had to DIY. No big deal though.

Food was good and plentiful, but bc the normal highly acclaimed chef was away, I did not feel it was as good as it would have been. Morning coffee service was not possible bc of being short staffed. Also, not a big deal. It gave me an excuse to get to the dive deck and get equipment ready and get my own coffee (and wifes coffee - got to keep her caffenated lol).

Diving was great, but BVIs I felt 1st 2 days were geared towards beginners until we got to end of week with the deeper sites. Water was 78-80, but bc of the winds, you could get chilled before / after on your way to the dive sites. I wore a 5 mil and was happy with it (no spare tire on me). Others went in tshirt and shorts.

I think where a major improvement could be made is the transfer to / from the dive sites. I felt it was inefficient. Here is why. Too many people needed too much help with gear, rig, weights, fins, cameras, etc.

The problem was, everybody who was not carrying their own gear were asked to drop their weights on the skiff after the dive, which made it easier for the crew to carry those people's gear back on to the mother ship. Then the crew would carry those people's gear back to the skiff (obviously without the weight pockets), and once on, everybody was scrambling to try to find their weight pockets for the next dive. Obviously It's not easy to put your weight pockets in by yourself sometimes. I get that, butthe crew had to put their weight pockets in and put their fins on for them too.

By the time the week was over, I was working as a deckhand helping people get their rigs on, weight pockets in and putting on their fins.

The crew worked their asses off. I just felt the process should be streamlined in order to maximize the surface interval, because when you get back to the big boat, you're out of your wet suit for like maybe 15 minutes, and you had to haul arse to either dip in the hot tub, shower or get a drink and snack. Some people were actually keeping wetsuit on between dives bc it wasnt worth it to take it off to put it on 15 minutes later.

Maybe this could be improved by filling tanks directly on the skiffs, like they do on other boats? That would avoid gear transfer and weight pocket bingo before every dive?

The diving was great, we saw eagle rays, reefers, nurses, pompanos, green, spotted and golden eels and just about all other expected Caribbean creatures. I took alot of time to watch the various banded and pink shrimps on the night dives... they sure were fast! Reef was in decent shape but still seeing the dying brain coral. Another thing I saw which I took interest was the squirrel fish and rock hinds swimming around with isopods attached to them. I am not sure I have ever seen this anywhere else.

Another couple of notes:

The dive time limit of 50 min could have been was due to the amount if time it took to get people loaded/unloaded and ready for the dives. The shallowness and ease of diving, I came up with 1100 psi or more on most dives. Obviously, the deeper dives I came up with less.

Currents: There were a few dives with currents, the majority had none. There were sites that had a back and forth surge, similar to what you might feel on the top. As long as you finned with the surge, you made progress.

Reef Sticks: I know I am opening up a can of worms here, but I'd love to see these sorry tools banned like gloves were. When divers are using these sticks to stop forward progress, fix over weighting/buoyancy issues, or steady themselves for the next picture, it is not being used properly.

Equipment: I added the Movo light system to my GoPro. For $56 not bad but the lights are a little weak, and the thibg was a bit heavier than I thought it would be. Still better than no lights. I had to ziptie the lights to the frame to keep things in place.

Diving days were like this:

Sun 4 dives
Mon 5 dives
Tue 4 dives
Wed 5 dives
Thu 3 dives + Baths land excursion
Fri - 2 dives

Total 23 dives offered.

Island transport: Cabs are expensive, ferrys too. We ferried from Charlotte Amalie to Road Town - total cost: 206 for RT tickets, $80 in bag fees RT, $100 in departure fees RT. Still cheaper than $1300 each flights from DFW to Tortola.

Highly recommend Itgo Car rental on Tortola - $55 rental. Walking distance from Aggressor. We toured the island that saturday the LOB started and saw all of tortola and ferried to Jost Van Dyke for Soggy Dollar. I am guessing cabs to/from the west end ferry would have been $40 each way.

Oh and I did have a chance to meet a fellow Subaboard member - [Scuba]Steve (but not sure his screen name here, maybe he will see this and chime in).

That is all I can think of for now, feel free to ask questions, but no flaming :)

Maybe this could be improved by filling tanks directly on the skiffs, like they do on other boats? That would avoid gear transfer and weight pocket bingo before every dive?

Especially 4-5 dives a day. We've certainly gotten used to setting the rigs up once and having them in the skiffs until the end.

The BVI Aggressor looks almost exactly like the Avalon boat we were on in Cuba a couple of weeks ago (Jardines Avalon III)--solid vessels. How many divers were on your trip?

Nice report. Thanks!

It was a blast. I believe it was 19 divers, one guy bought 2 spots to have his own cabin.

Some u/w pics

Attachments

• BVI01.png
    BVI01.png
    367.5 KB · Views: 47
  • BVI03.png
    BVI03.png
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • BVI07.png
    BVI07.png
    634.2 KB · Views: 45
  • BVI08.png
    BVI08.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
  • BVI09.png
    BVI09.png
    820.1 KB · Views: 41
More

Attachments

• BVI10.png
    BVI10.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • BVI12.png
    BVI12.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • BVI14.png
    BVI14.png
    949.7 KB · Views: 40
  • BVI17.png
    BVI17.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • BVI21.png
    BVI21.png
    565.4 KB · Views: 44
and More

Attachments

• BVI24.png
    BVI24.png
    762.8 KB · Views: 40
  • BVI27.png
    BVI27.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 36
  • BVI28.png
    BVI28.png
    662.2 KB · Views: 42
  • BVI30.png
    BVI30.png
    346.2 KB · Views: 35
  • BVI31.png
    BVI31.png
    428.4 KB · Views: 35
Last batch

Attachments

• BVI41.png
    BVI41.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 35
  • BVI46.png
    BVI46.png
    931.7 KB · Views: 41
  • BVI43.png
    BVI43.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 42
  • BVI16.png
    BVI16.png
    650 KB · Views: 43
Hi @mcohen1021

Thanks for the detailed review, I have been wondering about the BVI Aggressor.

The BVI Aggressor is the boat that was the short-lived Cayman Aggressor V that was in service in the Cayman Islands while the Cayman Aggressor IV was being refurbished. I was on the Cayman Aggressor V in 2018. It was generally a really a great new boat. I was in one of the main deck cabins and the noise from the auto pilot on the night crossing to Little Cayman was intolerable. Perhaps that defect has been corrected or doesn't play a role on the BVI itinerary. Of course, we did all our dives in the Caymans from the mother ship and did not have to deal with the tenders.

For the time being, I will pass on the BVI Aggressor due the protocols for using the tenders, the short staffing, and the short dives. It sounds like this could be remedied if the tanks, BCs, and fins were left on the tenders and the tanks filled in situ.

Thanks for posting a trip report on this vessel; it's one that's garnered some attention for awhile, doesn't have a long history in operation there, and yet there weren't many trip reports. You mentioned some points that may be very useful to people considering it.

getting on / off the skiffs
I've been blessed with 3 Caribbean liveaboard trips (Belize, Caymans, Turks & Caicos), and none used little boats to get to dive sites (whether called tenders, dhoni, skiffs, RIBs, panga or zodiac). I did encounter them on 1 trip each to the Galapagos and Raja Ampat.

I found them to add more work to the dive day than I'd have thought, and trips with them tended to offer 4 dives/day, not 5. I see on your trip you were offered 5 dives on a couple of the days; sounds like a long day!

I wonder why this vessel uses the little boats whereas other Caribbean liveaboards generally don't? Why not dive from the main yacht?
Diving was great, but BVIs I felt 1st 2 days were geared towards beginners until we got to end of week with the deeper sites.

Too many people needed too much help with gear, rig, weights, fins, cameras, etc.
I wonder if it draws a lot of fairly new divers? Some destinations draw a more seasoned diver, and some don't.

Do you think that many people would've needed much help if they'd been diving from the main vessel instead of skiffs?
The dive time limit of 50 min could have been was due to the amount if time it took to get people loaded/unloaded and ready for the dives. The shallowness and ease of diving, I came up with 1100 psi or more on most dives. Obviously, the deeper dives I came up with less.
This might be good news for 'air hog' divers, new divers, etc... I wonder how well they'd accommodate the depth restriction recommendations for PADI Jr. OW Diver, etc...?
Island transport: Cabs are expensive, ferrys too. We ferried from Charlotte Amalie to Road Town - total cost: 206 for RT tickets, $80 in bag fees RT, $100 in departure fees RT. Still cheaper than $1300 each flights from DFW to Tortola.
Was the $206 for round trip ferry tickets? If so, what was your airfare cost/person? Was the $206 for the ferry trip regardless of number of passengers, or per person?

Sounds like you got to see a good range of the usual Caribbean reef life.

Given the varied liveaboard destinations in the greater region (e.g.: Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Roatan, Belize, the Caymans), do you see any particular reason a dive tourist should (or should not) prioritize the BVI Aggressor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom