More silly airline games

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a long (overnight) stopover and the airline insists you collect your bag, make sure you retain proof of baggage charge payment because they will want to charge you for the next leg.

It's a cute little airport serving a little airline. I miss the days when I could travel to Mexico and any Caribbean island with a voter ID card and a driver's license and domestic travel with SWA included cute young fillies in hot pants.

Whoa, you best strap your hog leg before you call my #3 airline in the US "little" pard. Thems fighting word to us LUV peeps. Little.... Why I never in tarnation ever heard such foolishness and from a Texan to boot.....

All you peeps fighting for overhead to save your $30 bag fee, ha I say! And Hobby smokes GB for my money too! From Immigration and Customs to the TSA peeps everyone is just so pleasant and nice. No rushing around and carrying on. Might visit my niece next month and I am excited to check out LUV field....

900023e1a351ce4d7ddd64237ccf3eac.jpg

I spent almost 6 months in the 90s analyzing optimal mathematical models of getting passengers on and off planes. So much easier without people in wheelchairs, military personnel in uniform, families with children, elite and first class passengers and passengers with carryon bags.

If anyone is really interested, check: https://www.cs.bgu.ac.il/~ebachmat/managesubmit.pdf (Not my paper -much better!).

Some cool math for an apparently simple problem
There was a Myth Busters about this, I believe - definitely some TV show where they tested different algorithms with volunteer "passengers" and a mockup of a plane. I don't remember which one won.

On a flight a few years ago the plane loaded from front to back instead of back to front. It did not go well, and the next time I flew on that airline they were back to loading from back to front.

I'm getting a bit worried reading this thread. We're booked on American DFW-CZM at the end of July. Taking the whole family for the first time, and some them are not particularly flexible when it comes to plans changing.... I hope American doesn't cancel or reroute us.
I doubt it will change at this point. Ever year they (and the other airlines,) do a reduced schedule during the peak hurricane season from mid August til early November. Year to year it varies but they always fly on the peak day of Saturday. Advance bookings 3-6 months out are a crap shoot, especially mid week since the final schedule may not be decided June.

There was a Myth Busters about this, I believe - definitely some TV show where they tested different algorithms with volunteer "passengers" and a mockup of a plane. I don't remember which one won.

On a flight a few years ago the plane loaded from front to back instead of back to front. It did not go well, and the next time I flew on that airline they were back to loading from back to front.

It’s the variables that you don’t think of like aisle width and spacing between seats that make things interesting. My favorite is people seated in row 38 staring intently at row numbers while passing through first class.

Here's a newer model that takes into account "carried-on" baggage and incentives/de-incentives to optimize time to board/offboard. In the early 80's SWA had their turns down to 30minutes. Other carriers like the one I worked for (USeless Air) could never approach this. Off course back in those days SWA was festival seating (no A/B/C etc stuff)

A new method for boarding passengers onto an airplane - ScienceDirect

I always think its hilarious they charge people to put luggage under the plane and its free to carry on.

It was mythbusters episode 222. They tested several boarding strategies. The two major factors are boarding time AND satisfaction. The boarding process with decent times and highest satisfaction was a complicated reverse pyramid strategy... zones > back to front in multiple zones and windows out to isle. See the link for full summary of results.

Makes sense as you are spreading the drag asses across multiple areas simultaneously. But, I don't see people in small groups wanting to split up at boarding time nor the airlines willing to give up revenue for those that will pay more for priority boarding. Then there is a certain level of expectation by passengers who bought into higher categories of seats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom