American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcohen1021

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just like the title says, anyone else's sick & tired of American having a monopoly on direct flights to Cozumel?

it shouldn't cost almost $600 for a NS RT direct economy flight from DFW

You can't even do the bag drag for enough cost differential to make it worth it.

Sun country airlines discontinued their flights that they did between June and August and now American knows they have you by the short and curlys

it sucks.

Just like the title says, anyone else's sick & tired of American having a monopoly on direct flights to Cozumel?

You can't even do the bag drag for enough cost differential to make it worth it.

Sun country airlines discontinued their flights that they did between June and August and now American knows they have you by the short and curlys

it sucks.
Do you mean nonstop from DFW? United and Southwest both have direct flights to CZM from Houston.

It's called yield management and all the airlines practice it, including Southwest. The hotels and rental car companies and even gas stations are doing it.
About thirty years ago Robert Crandall attempted 'value pricing' at AA. AA got butchered and lost millions and learned its lesson and returned to yield management.

It may not always seem fare but AA flies to Cozumel year round, not just during the peak season. On the off season there are a lot of empty seats but the service goes on so year round the routes may be less profitable in total than it seems.
The most profitable aspect of Cozumel travel is the gringo taxes of about $125 a head RT the Mexican government collects in addition to the airline rent and landing fees that goes to Mexico city and is never seen again

Do you mean nonstop from DFW? United and Southwest both have direct flights to CZM from Houston.

Yes, I said NS RT from DFW lol

I can get to other AA destinations for the same, or less or less miles

Maybe I'll look at united but Google doesn't even return that as a viable option from DFW.

The bagdrag just send like a beat down after doing a bag drag from st Thomas to tortola - literally adds between 3-4 hrs 👎

Yes, I said NS RT from DFW lol

I can get to other AA destinations for the same, or less or less miles

Maybe I'll look at united but Google doesn't even return that as a viable option from DFW.

The bagdrag just send like a beat down after doing a bag drag from st Thomas to tortola - literally adds between 3-4 hrs 👎
Yeah, I am not a fan of the bag drag through CUN, either. We did it once or twice several years ago, but it just wasn't worth it to us, especially on the way home. It's one thing to plan the advance time to get to the airport on the island, but it's quite another when the airport is 50 miles away and you have to get there by a combination of land and water transportation. When it's time to leave I just want to get home as quickly and as painlessly as possible, and the bag drag on the way home is neither quick nor painless. YMMV, of course, and it depends on where you are traveling from.

Have you considered SWA to CZM from Love Field through Hobby in Houston?

When you - look at - or try to book a flight with a return flight - airlines will give you the return flight(s) that THEY want you on. If you look separately for the outbound flight and the return flight you might have a better selection and a better price.

When you - look at - or try to book a flight with a return flight - airlines will give you the return flight(s) that THEY want you on. If you look separately for the outbound flight and the return flight you might have a better selection and a better price.
I'm not sure what you mean. Whenever I book a flight on an airline website there is always a menu of flights, times, and prices to pick from.

it sucks.
the same goes for American Airlines from Florida to Bonaire ($800+). United and Delta are starting to compete on that route.

It's sickening. $611 for the flight.

I'm headed to Belize Aggressor in Sept, I had a $125 flight discount on AA so I purchased a flight wo miles and used the discount

I feel like I'm going to be missing cozumel this year and taking a staycation instead

Sometimes it sucks if your only flight option is from a major airline hub city. You could be like me and always have to make a connection and live 3+ hours from the nearest airport. I also live on a beautiful river with lousy local healthcare. You take the good with the bad... :clearmask:🫤
Headed to Coz next week. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

5/14 - 5/21 nonstop RT AA DFW - CZM basic econ $449 book it today

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom