New Watch Style Advanced Dive Computer from Scubapro for 2023! GALILEO 3 (G3)!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They staying with the heart rate stuff? That computer is really unappealing. Especially at that price point.

It is in the price range of it's competitors and much less than the Garmin.

Every transmitter out there is proprietary.

PPS transmitter is proprietary, you have to buy it from PPS or pay them a license fee to manufacture it yourself.

I guess so. But it seems that only the PPS transmitter is licensed to other brands. My Oceanic transmitters work fine with Oceanic computers. They also work fine with my Shearwater computer. They will also work with Aqualung…

So, when it comes time to replace my computer, it’s more cost effective to me to look at brands that are compatible, assuming the transmitter is working. If it isn’t, it’s still more cost effective as $120 < $350+.

Not really (maybe in a super literal sense, but not in the sense that most people mean). The Shearwater transmitters are compatible with several other brands, and vise versa. The interface is publicly available. Anyone can make a computer that can read the signal from transmitters by several manufacturers, and anyone can make a transmitter that works with Shearwater and several other brands(with a licence).

I love my Garmin Mk2i, I like my transmitters, but I wish I could also receive "standard" transmitters. (I also wish that when I get a Shearwater, I could use my Garmin TX's with it).

PPS transmitter is proprietary, you have to buy it from PPS or pay them a license fee to manufacture it yourself.
I don't call either list proprietary. The first column are brands that are all compatible with the PPS MH8A and Shearwater Swift transmitters. The second column use transmitters that are brand specific and are not compatible with any other brands.

I have never bought a transmitter from Shearwater (MH8A or Swift), but I have 3 Oceanic transmitters that work with my Teric. They also word with my Oceanic VT3, and my son's VT4. When one breaks, Oceanic/Huish will replace it for $120, regardless of age.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Garmin does much much more. The display on the G3 could have been so much better. I am amazed that Scubapro chose to introduce such a hum-drum competitor to SW, Garmin and Ratio.

It’ll be interesting to play with one at DEMA.

• Bullseye!
Reactions: L13
Garmin does much much more. The display on the G3 could have been so much better. I am amazed that Scubapro chose to introduce such a hum-drum competitor to SW, Garmin and Ratio.

It’ll be interesting to play with one at DEMA.

Did you see one in person? All I know from people that "played" with it in person was that it was a great dive computer. It has everything a diver of all types and skill level would need. There is an apparent change of attitude with SP as related to dive computers that I find refreshing and encouraging. I am ordering one very soon.

Did you see one in person? All I know from people that "played" with it in person was that it was a great dive computer. It has everything a diver of all types and skill level would need. There is an apparent change of attitude with SP as related to dive computers that I find refreshing and encouraging. I am ordering one very soon.
What change in attitude do you see?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom