Info Scubapro Announces the availability of SP's newest high end technical dive computer with full GF support, G2 Tek, in the EMEA market

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please give me more feedback on you concerns about the G2 Tek and I'll be VERY happy to deliver to the responsible party at SP HQ in EU. I have direct contact with them. They do listen to feedback as long as it is reasonable and constructive. It will be best to write it in "outline/bullet" format without being an essay type.
It's pretty simple for them: go and do a technical MOD2 or MOD3 dive (60m/200ft to 100m/330ft) with a Shearwater** and then compare it with the G2. Chances are if you're diving deep you'd already be using a Shearwater, certainly if on a rebreather (which nowadays is the only way you'll get that deep).

When you're doing your hours of decompression, consider how you'd use the information on your arms to solve various issues: bailing out, pushing deco, running higher PPO2 to reduce the TTS, keeping the CNS/POT (pulmonary ox.tox.) in check; changing the GF-hi to slow/speed up deco; changing gasses (one that's not been entered); or just looking at various parameters to relieve the boredom (SurfGF, graphs)

One would hope that it compares favourably, if not it's failed.

The big issue is if you were running a G2 as your backup "everything's died on the box including the computers" computer, how does it cope with not knowing the PPO2 that actually happened. i.e. it'll probably never be used, but mostly will not concur with your primary computer(s). The last thing you want is the thing bricking itself in a big sulk.

With the helium shortage these days, technical diving will be confined to either less than 40m/130ft ish with light deco time, or deep using CCR where the computer will need to run in standalone CCR mode so will need to assume the setpoints -- is common to run different setpoints depending on the dive.

** or Heinrich Wiencamp, maybe Ratio

@scubadada should know the answer for Oceanic.
Missing a deco stop by more than 5 min will put you into violation gauge mode at the surface. You are locked out of the dive computer for 24 hours. The computer must stay out of the water for 24 hours for it to revert back to normal function.

In 2200 dives on Oceanic computers, I have never been in violation gauge mode, about 5% of my dives are light deco. I have never run out of gas either... :)

Missing a deco stop by more than 5 min will put you into violation gauge mode at the surface. You are locked out of the dive computer for 24 hours. The computer must stay out of the water for 24 hours for it to revert back to normal function.

In 2200 dives on Oceanic computers, I have never been in violation gauge mode, about 5% of my dives are light deco. I have never run out of gas either... :)
Nor died even once!

Do you do a lot of technical style dives though?

Nor died even once!

Do you do a lot of technical style dives though?
The question was on lockout for missed deco on a generally, recreational computer.

As above, a small minority of my dive are light, back gas deco, usually less than 10 min, always less than 15 min.

The not so clever 8-gas sales gimmick by Scubapro doesn’t fool experienced, international technical divers who know all too well that it only takes a minimum of 3-gases to bounce dive to 120 meters—4-gases if you want to play it safe on OC. In the name of Chairman Miaou why would I be the least interested in an overpriced dive computer fitted with a flimsy wrist strap and rated to a maximum working depth of 120 meters with no option for standard batteries? It only takes a blackout or a generator failure on a liveaboard to ground the dive plan.

I have seen death to often to not value life as precious.

Where did you get that? I'm looking at the Perdix manual that states the crush depth is 260 m due to the case, but the sensors operate to 300 m (obviously you don't make it that last 40 meters). The two Jeffs (two local Meg divers) routinely went to such depths (but never reached 600').

Where did you get that? I'm looking at the Perdix manual that states the crush depth is 260 m due to the case, but the sensors operate to 300 m (obviously you don't make it that last 40 meters). The two Jeffs (two local Meg divers) routinely went to such depths (but never reached 600').

From my copy of the Perdix manual.
1665113485060.png

So, 150m for the Perdix, which was the question I answered. The Perdix 2 is deeper.
The most recent Perdix manual has been changed to match the Perdix 2 depth specs. The image above is from the original Perdix manual. i don't know if the Perdix has changed, or just the manual has changed. I'm happy with 150m.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom