American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And medications like Ozimpic (semaglutide) list at over $1K per month and are estimated to cost $0.89 to produce.
Shopping helps. My Cardiologist has me taking a blood thinner. GoogRX's best price is a little less than $10/pill, which is a good price, about half-priced. I get mine from the overseas factory at 15¢/pill. :cool: Careful vetting required.

That cost delta is much smaller than what I usually see, but I filter out any flights that have more than 1 stop. Still, using your example, the flight from YYZ to CZM is around 1600 miles as the crow flies. DFW to CZM is around 1000 miles. The flight is 60% further from Toronto and yet, somehow, 20% cheaper.
Distance flown has little to do with airline fares. Fares are set with the overall bottom line in mind considering demand, market share, and what the traffic will bear for each route. Also, the most expensive (fuel consuming) parts of every flight to the airline are takeoffs and landings; the length of the flight at cruising altitude makes less of a difference than one might think. Short flights cost them a lot more per mile flown than long ones.

So, some folks don't like the price of the trip to the destination of their choice on the airline of their choice from the city they prefer to fly from on the day they prefer to fly. I'm trying to figure out how this makes it a monopoly (which it is not) or a conspiracy (which it is not). And it certainly does not give them the right to whine and call the airline slanderous names. Grow up.
Sometime, some very large businesses use their power to attempt to crush smaller companies and eliminate competition so they can raise prices.

MSP is a hub for Delta and are usually the most expensive.
This winter they tried to undercut Sun Country routes.
They only did it against Sun Country flights.
The price war was good for me, I flew down nonstop to czm for $130 and back for $107.
But if Delta forces Sun Country out of business, the fares will skyrocket.

Overall tend, not route specific.

1713715566567.png

Going back further but lacking recent data

1713715659433.png

Short flights cost them a lot more per mile flown than long ones.
An example of this is the Austin - Houston route. The air traffic control for the two airports practically overlap and the planes cruise at a much lower altitude, which is itself more expensive per mile because of the denser air.

Thanks. I just said the hell with it, booked with Aeromexico and I’ll keep my rental reservation in CZM. Layover in MEX. Haven’t been there in a few years.
I recently did Aeromexico via MEX to COZ and it was great. Nice to get customs/immigration out of the way on the layover for a super quick exit from the airport upon arrival in Coz. You’ll definitely want to have at least 2.5-3 hours for the layover. Aeromexico doesn’t make you pick up checked bags on the layover either.

Aeromexico doesn’t make you pick up checked bags on the layover either.
When we flew to Poland through Amsterdam last year we didn't see our bags from the time we checked them in Austin until we collected them in Warsaw. The US policy where you have to retrieve your bags and recheck them for the connecting flight while leaving the secure part of the airport and having to go through security again seems a bit silly to me. They used to screen and randomly search bags at Customs but they don't do that any more, so what's the point?

Distance flown has little to do with airline fares. Fares are set with the overall bottom line in mind considering demand, market share, and what the traffic will bear for each route. Also, the most expensive (fuel consuming) parts of every flight to the airline are takeoffs and landings; the length of the flight at cruising altitude makes less of a difference than one might think. Short flights cost them a lot more per mile flown than long ones.
The vast majority of total fuel burn is in cruise. Taxiing & takeoff are next and landing burns relatively little with thrust set at, or close to, idle for around 30 minutes on the glideslope down to the runway. Obviously short flights are going to skew the numbers and will cost more person (in fuel costs) as the flight doesn't spend much time at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom