American Airlines Monopoly on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Setting airline fares is complicated and has relatively little to do with miles flown. An airline that takes a loss on some routes because they have a lot of competition will make it up by charging a premium for routes where there is less (or no) competition.

I remember one year when I was pricing a Cozumel trip where the RT fare from Austin to Cozumel was a lot more than that from Toronto to Cozumel on the same airline even though both were routed through Houston on the same plane to Cozumel. As a matter of fact, the fare to fly Austin - Toronto - Houston - Cozumel was virtually the same as the fare to fly Austin - Houston - Cozumel. Go figure.
As someone who regularly flies YYZ (Toronto) <> CZM, I'm amazed at how much cheaper the fares are compared to US cities / hubs which are FAR closer to CZM than we are. Even pricing out flights on US based airlines, where we end up on the exact same airplanes into CZM, it's usually hundreds less per person.

As someone who regularly flies YYZ (Toronto) <> CZM, I'm amazed at how much cheaper the fares are compared to US cities / hubs which are FAR closer to CZM than we are.
Some of that will involve different taxes and those can be a significant part of the fare.
Even pricing out flights on US based airlines, where we end up on the exact same airplanes into CZM, it's usually hundreds less per person.
Then there's the marvels of codesharing.

Some of that will involve different taxes and those can be a significant part of the fare.
Toronto Pearson (YYZ) has some of the highest airport fees in the world and our taxes aren't world renowned for being low either. If anything, these would only serve to increase the cost of the flight vs. decrease it and yet our fares to CZM and CUN are consistantly much lower than if our flight originated out of most US cities.

Toronto Pearson (YYZ) has some of the highest airport fees in the world and our taxes aren't world renowned for being low either.
Ok, so I compared the cheapest RT fares I could find in August for YYZ-CZM $364 and DFW-CZM $453, using USDs for both. Pretty unappealing routes with two stops each way for both tickets, and for you having to clear our I&C arriving and TSA leaving, but just to look at taxes...

YYZ-CZM $364.38 - $152.60 to the airline = $211.78 taxes & fees

DFW-CZM $453.48 - $254.00 to the airline = $199.48 taxes & fees

Not much difference in taxes & fees, but they do add up and yours seems higher when included with the US & Mexican taxes and fees. $112.58 goes to Mexican charges on both. You can check my figures on Matrix.

Maybe we do, but my standards and yours are irrelevant. Slander is a legal term.
Yes, but i understand slander is knowingly making false statements damaging to the reputation of a person or business, and I would think this applies. Or, maybe this is just hate speech.

Yes, but i understand slander is knowingly making false statements damaging to the reputation of a person or business, and I would think this applies.
I don't think it applies because I do not see where American Airlines has sustained any damage, but as I said, it doesn't matter what you or I think. Let the airline take it to court and see what the judge says.

Ok, so I compared the cheapest RT fares I could find in August for YYZ-CZM $364 and DFW-CZM $453, using USDs for both. Pretty unappealing routes with two stops each way for both tickets, and for you having to clear our I&C arriving and TSA leaving, but just to look at taxes...

Not much difference in taxes & fees, but they do add up and yours seems higher when included with the US & Mexican taxes and fees. $112.58 goes to Mexican charges on both. You can check my figures on Matrix.
My calculation of fees seems a little less .
From a trip a few weeks back
DFW to CZM
1713660109960.png

Returning from CZM to DFW was:
1713660197993.png

The fees keep increasing, a few years back total charges were $67 USD

That cost delta is much smaller than what I usually see, but I filter out any flights that have more than 1 stop. Still, using your example, the flight from YYZ to CZM is around 1600 miles as the crow flies. DFW to CZM is around 1000 miles. The flight is 60% further from Toronto and yet, somehow, 20% cheaper.

That cost delta is much smaller than what I usually see, but I filter out any flights that have more than 1 stop. Still, using your example, the flight from YYZ to CZM is around 1600 miles as the crow flies. DFW to CZM is around 1000 miles. The flight is 60% further from Toronto and yet, somehow, 20% cheaper.
Airfares are not directly related to distances traveled. Get over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom