2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuesday 11/24 - Supercycling class. 60 minutes and approximately 550 calories. I think our instructor was especially difficult on us this morning as he knows there is no class Thursday for T-day. Ouchie. :)

Monday - took it easy

Tuesday - no gym, bike, pool while on vacation so picked up the jogging shoes and hit my old moderate pace.

Elliptical machine/swimming must be a good cardio workout because, even though it's been quite a while since I jogged, I still had plenty of energy to keep going and wasn't breathing hard by the time the 45 minute jog ended ;-).

Last edited:
We jogged on the up hill stints which was kinda fun for us non-joggers!
Sweet! I am impressed that you jogged up the hills. I would have taken the easier route and jogged down! :)

Wednesday 11/25 - Got home early this afternoon so I donned the bike shorts (eek!) and headed out on the streets of SF (double eek!). Pasty legs on a bike. Sorry SF! Had a nice ride out around the neighborhood trying to get used to some of the gears and climbing aspects. Definitely like the flats! Went for just over 5.5 miles in about 40 minutes. Nothing earth shattering, but I am happy. :) Tomorrow I head out with the best friend to do some more cycling work. Friday I think we are going swimming laps in the Bay and then Sunday I have another 5k. Fun!

Sweet! I am impressed that you jogged up the hills. I would have taken the easier route and jogged down! :)

Wednesday 11/25 - Got home early this afternoon so I donned the bike shorts (eek!) and headed out on the streets of SF (double eek!). Pasty legs on a bike. Sorry SF! Had a nice ride out around the neighborhood trying to get used to some of the gears and climbing aspects. Definitely like the flats! Went for just over 5.5 miles in about 40 minutes. Nothing earth shattering, but I am happy. :) Tomorrow I head out with the best friend to do some more cycling work. Friday I think we are going swimming laps in the Bay and then Sunday I have another 5k. Fun!

We have a twisted philosophy.... jogging up the steep trails seems like more like leg strength and cardio, which we have... although a bit anaerobic, which was fun. Also, it's more on the toes/ball of the foot, so there's hardly any jarring on our old backs. However, downhill is just atrocious on our knees, especially Penny's, so "that dog don't hunt"!! :no:

Have fun on the bike! We need more people exposing pasty skin to the world... LOL

However, downhill is just atrocious on our knees, especially Penny's, so "that dog don't hunt"!! :no:

Have fun on the bike! We need more people exposing pasty skin to the world... LOL

I understand about the knees. Quite frankly, I love running on flats, or only slight downgrades - nothing too steep. I don't like the feeling on my knees.

Pasty skin - check! :) Poor SF. Mine are soooo white. :rofl3: Perhaps I should think about getting some longer bike pants so that I can spare the peeps. It was pretty chilly out there today.

Thursday 11/26 - Longest bike ride yet. Went with the best friend to challenge a horrendous hill which leads into the Presidio and up to the Golden Gate Bridge. I have always been amazed by the people who do it, so now I am can amaze myself! :) Only stopped once, about halfway up, in order to grab some water and allow my heart rate to resume some normalcy. At the top, we crossed over the GGB and returned across it. From there, into the Presidio where we winded our way back home.

Total Distance: 9.6 miles
Total Time: Approximately 80 minutes, including our break at the top of the hill and on the Marin side of the GGB.
Approximate calories: 750

Thurs: Stretched out my sore jogging muscles & joined my 69 yr old pops on a bike ride to work off wed's feast. It was my first time on a street bike in years. He had a fantastic bike - flat roads of so fla - zing it was fun!

14 miles total. He timed 10 miles at 41 minutes then complained that 4 minute miles are slower than his normal 3.5 minute pace :D! What a dad!

Glad to hear everyone is including some cycling in their variety of exercises! It's fun and good for you, but as I found out, it can't stand alone... so doing all the other stuff you guys do is great too!

Sarita... there are some nice cycling tights out there. Be careful using non-cycling tights. If you do, make sure your knee cap can still move easily/freely. There's a pretty painful condition that feels like stabbing ice picks otherwise. Many successfully use non cycling stuff, but just make sure it allows free movement. I made the mistake of using thin polypro drysuit undies once on a 20 mile ride and thought I was going to die before I found out from someone what the deal was.

Cycling with the bike on the Trainer... love the intensity of Tabata Intervals... I encountered no traffic in the living room!

Gearing 2:2 (2nd/middle chain ring, 2 lowest gear on cassette of 10)
5 minute Warmup 10mph
5 minute incremental increase to 15mph

Gear 2:7
5 minutes at 17mph
5 minutes Tabata Intervals (20s 22.5mph, 10s 16.5mph)

Gear 2:5
5 minute moderate cooldown 16mph

Total: 25 minutes, 6.84 miles, 16.4mph average

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom