Buying my first BCD - read a lot on SB, looking for advice/opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since when did the Scubapro knight hawk and LadyHawk not have trim pockets? My Ladyhawk came with them.

If you want to add weight pockets for ditchable weight the least expensive ones that I know of are these and these. You can also watch eBay for deals from time to time.

If they need 14-16 lbs of lead, one option would be to shift about 4 pounds to a steel plate and spread the rest between camband and belt for trim. DGX pockets would be big enough and they're much less bulky than XSScuba ones. That's $30-$40 worth of pockets and you won't get much room left on the belt for a "stuff" pouch: would have to also buy glue-on thigh pockets or something...

Sure
You got it.
I see you’re a local. We could meet up at Breakwater some Saturday and you could test drive one.
I’d need to know your height to make sure I bring the correct size.

Sure, will keep communicating. I have seen one of your plate in Monterey, absolutely in love with the design and craftsmanship. I have always thought Halcyon's plates are one of the most well made plates, but your definitely tops them.

My schedule these day is very unpredictable due to a new born son. I have only been able to do a few dives lately, usually when my parents visit. I would love to try one next time.

I bought my halcyon wing online.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Yeah, I see a couple of Halcyon wings on fleebay for less that LP's Cress Start @ $200 delivered.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Yeah, I see a couple of Halcyon wings on fleebay for less that LP's Cress Start @ $200 delivered.

Must be some older style wings. I hardly see the current design, like Evolve or Eclipse type for that cheap. Not impossible but not usual

Sure

Sure, will keep communicating. I have seen one of your plate in Monterey, absolutely in love with the design and craftsmanship. I have always thought Halcyon's plates are one of the most well made plates, but your definitely tops them.

My schedule these day is very unpredictable due to a new born son. I have only been able to do a few dives lately, usually when my parents visit. I would love to try one next time.
I may post something in the Norcal forum about doing an FP demo at Breakwater one weekend. I’m sure the wife would love to go to Monterey for a weekend (not a lot of arm twisting needed there!..now that she’s retired).
I have two full rigs people can use, or they could bring their own wing if they wanted and I could set them up with a plate and harness. That way if they were set up with an Air2 on their wing (gasp!) then they could still use it.
I think it would be fun! I’d even give people a demo discount.

I used to do demo’s at BW back in 2004 when I first started making plates, but they were not terribly successful. People were too scared to try something different besides their jackets, and the people who were already using BP/W’s were set.

Last edited:
+1 for the AquaLung Zuma. It fits in my carryon with my regs, mask, bathroom stuff, suits, rash guards and other stuff.

If they need 14-16 lbs of lead, one option would be to shift about 4 pounds to a steel plate and spread the rest between camband and belt for trim. DGX pockets would be big enough and they're much less bulky than XSScuba ones. That's $30-$40 worth of pockets and you won't get much room left on the belt for a "stuff" pouch: would have to also buy glue-on thigh pockets or something...

I am not sure what your point is. The XS Scuba and Piranha pockets are supposedly quick-release. The DGX pockets are not. As far as a "stuff pouch" goes what are they going to carry that cannot be clipped off? The Hydros that the OP is interested in does not come with pockets either. Scubapro says that BC pockets are not very useful, so they deleted them. You can buy a thigh pocket for $25.

For the price of one Hydros the OP can get 2 VDH or DGX packages and add whatever they want and still have money left over. They can also chose something like this, which I think is a great deal. There in probably not much of a difference anymore between a well-designed backmount BC and a BP/W.

I am not sure what your point is. The XS Scuba and Piranha pockets are supposedly quick-release. The DGX pockets are not.

Dunno about piranha, but I have that xsscuba pouch. "Quick release" is a bit of a stretch compared to actual quick release weight systems, it's at best quick-er than just a velcroed top release. It's twice as big and takes up three times as much belt space as the dgx one. If the goal is to streamline your kit, as many "recreational" bp&w divers seem to want, then smaller is better. Yes you can fit more lead in it, but how much lead do you need? 4x4 lb bricks spread between cambands and belt is 16lbs OP asked for and will fit into smaller pouches just fine.

As for carrying stuff, I prefer my junk tucked away in a zippered pocket if I don't use it often. I've slate, flashlight, and cutting things in a pouch. That's just a personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom