2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks WB! I really owe alot of the motivation to this thread! Thanks for keeping me active, motivated and moving towards my goal!

Additional Sunday 11/8 - bike ride with Mark. 35 minutes, approximately 5.6 miles. What a nice day!

Monday 11/9 - Nice morning workout. Swam laps 1.0 miles in about 47 minutes. I was trying to focus on the things I learned last weekend with the swim instructor, including kicking more consistently and using a glide. I still, however, push myself to finishing a mile, which I think might be detrimental to my desire to work on technique. Need to learn balance.

Penny needed something for a workout that wouldn't bother her hands, so after she warmed with very light rowing, she did a 5 round met-con that helped to focus on her core and back.

5 Rounds:

15 Overhead Squats with pvc pipe
10 Back Extensions
5 GHD Situps

Time: 7:31

This gave her some nice core and back work for Olympic Lifting.

I wanted to focus on shoulder work. Almost my total focus at the Weightlifting club as been in the area of deadlifts, squats, cleans, with only some light snatches. So to prep for upcoming Jerks and build shoulder strength, I did Shoulder Presses (uses arms only) and Push Presses (essentially Shoulder Presses with a short explosive leg drive).

My shoulders have always been some of my weakest body parts, so tonight I focused on 1RM (one rep maximum).

Warmup: 5 minute row

Shoulder Press: (Previous PR 125# back in March)
45# x 10; 65# x 5; 85# x 5; 95# x 3;
115# x 1
135# x 1
140# x 1
145# x 1
150# x 1 (Tonight's PR)
155# x 1 (failed attempt)

Push Press: (No previous PR attempted)
155# x 1
165# x 1
170# x 1
175# x 1
180# x 1
185# x 1 (PR)
190# x 1 (Failed attempt)

I was pretty pumped that my shoulders have improved so much this year .... and was also pretty psyched how close I got to 200# overhead. My back certainly couldn't have handled this much in the air earlier in the year .... just need to focus more effort in this area!!

Ah a bit slow in reporting as I've been having too much fun!

11/5 Back/Bi/Abs

Back:
Seated Rows: 4 Sets; Reps X12-8
Lat pull Downs: 4 Sets; Reps X12-8
Bent over dumbell Rows: 3 Sets; Reps X 10

Bi:
Straight Bar Curls: 4 sets: Reps X12-8
Dumbel curls: 4 Sets: Reps X12-8
Hammer Curls: 4 Sets: Reps X 12-8

Abs:
3 sets - 40 crunches

11/6 Get ready to dive & drive 6.5 hours

11/7 - 3 steel tank dry suit dives in Anacapa - 55-60F and vis 40-70ft. It
was beautiful! Drive 6 more hours the same day & get home to wash gear at
midnight. Exhausted, but it was fun!

11/8 - 40 minute mellow mountain bike - Love my peddles!

11/9 - Legs:

10 minutes cardio
Leg press: 4 sets 12-8 reps
Dumbel Lunges: 4 sets 10-8 reps
Straight Leg dead lifts: 4 sets 10 reps
Hamstring curls: 4 sets 10 reps
Leg Extentions: 4 sets 10 reps
Standing Calf press: 3 sets 15 reps

I am impressed you did Anacapa (including the drive back and forth) in one day. That's impressive Kathy! You should try one of the liveaboards through Truth Aquatics in SB. They are rustic, but freaking wonderful. Then again, who wouldn't love three days of non-stop diving!

Tuesday 11/10 - Today is Holy Smokin' Legs Day for me. I got up intending to go for a jog, and then remembered that there was a cycling class at 6:00 a.m. today that was recommended to me by the Fitness Director of the Y. Since I normally walk by the Y on my warmup, I thought I would pop in to talk to the instructor, see if it was a level-appropriate class for me and watch a bit. When I went in, the instructor was awesome - very welcoming and encouraging. So, jog be damned and I did the class. It is my FIRST cycling class and my FIRST ever group exercise class - so I am pretty stoked that I actually did it - and did it pretty successfully. My legs felt like there were going to give out a few times (on the standing parts), but I did it! YEAH!
- Cycling class (60 minutes). HR Monitor indicates about 765 calories, but I think it is a bit lower (possibly 650?). 147 AHR.

Sweet! Glad to see that you're working some cycling into the mix too! Have fun!

Tues AM:
Warmup on the the cycling trainer 10 minutes.

6 minute Hi-Cadence Intervals with easy gear
100-110 RPM maintenance/cooldown pace
120-125 RPM medium pace (1 minute)
165-170 RPM anaerobic pace (5-10 seconds)
Repeated interval twice

My bike was vibrating the floor in the condo and the lamps were bouncing on the end tables. Glad nothing fell off and broke!! LOL

I've never pedaled that high of a cadence, but it sure made the 100-120 rpm range seem a lot easier and smoother. Curious to see how much of this will translate to the road next time out.

Sweet! Glad to see that you're working some cycling into the mix too! Have fun!
Thanks WB! I am looking forward to giving it a go once a week. I am trying to find the right balance of everything for the tri that I am planning on doing in April. It is all a learning experience.

My bike was vibrating the floor in the condo and the lamps were bouncing on the end tables. Glad nothing fell off and broke!! LOL
Wow. That's quite fun for a mental image. Thanks for the laugh!

I guess there are worse mental images I could have given you!

Tues PM:
warmup: 250m row x 4 with 30 sec rest intervals

Back Squats with focus on good supported upright back positioning.
155#x3x3
190#x3x2

Behind the neck press with Snatch Grip, Overhead Squat, Good Morning (this sequence x 5)

Transitional Deadlifts (between shins and middle of thigh) 110# x 5 x 3

Bent Over Rows (50# x 5 x 3)

All exercises were with special focus on back position... good strong tight core.

the scales indicate that I've removed 24 pounds since I began working out, so I am really pleased. Still have a ways to go, but I am super excited!

Congratulations Sarita! That's awesome!

Kathy... looks like you keep your exercising rather varied as well!

Thanks! Would like to add a bit more cardio and still waiting on the advice for strength training modifications, trying out doubles in early December - but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how I feel/look ;-).

I am impressed you did Anacapa (including the drive back and forth) in one day. That's impressive Kathy! You should try one of the liveaboards through Truth Aquatics in SB. They are rustic, but freaking wonderful. Then again, who wouldn't love three days of non-stop diving!

Did the 6.5 hour drive there on Fri night, slept in the boat bunk, did the 3 dives then drove back 6.0 hours - not exactly in one day but a 30 hour turn-around felt pretty heroic :).

3 days diving! Thanks for the tip - deffinately going to check it out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom