Unknowing divers endangering kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often see this Darwinism comment here on scubaboard. I can't really believe that people actually mean what they're saying...or perhaps they just don't hear what they're saying.

Stephen Ash:
I often see this Darwinism comment here on scubaboard. I can't really believe that people actually mean what they're saying...or perhaps they just don't hear what they're saying.
I have no problem with Sir Darwin claiming his disciples when they pass on to his realm.

That is not what was about to happen here.

scubafool:
I have no problem with Sir Darwin claiming his disciples when they pass on to his realm.

That is not what was about to happen here.

I understand your point...the boy was too young to be stupid.

Nevertheless...I'm sure that none of us wish ill of anyone...even if they are ...um...challenged.

Stephen Ash:
And one might say...

A child held in an adult's arms breathing off scuba gives the 'appearance' that the adult 'may' not realize the danger. Having a few words with the adult would be a sensible course of action unless you KNOW there are NO problems. A more passive approach might indeed be morally reprehensible.

I think Fool did an awesome job and couldn't agree any more with his actions. Like Stephen said, it's very doubtful that the diver even understood the potential danger in his actions by taking a child down who is untrained.

I would and am grateful when a fellow diver finds anything or area they think I can improve on. I didn't get to be a good diver all by myself, I was helped by patient experienced divers guiding me, helping me make informed decisions. String.... what's up man, breathe, count to five and repeat "in with the good thoughts, out with the bad thoughts" :10: Fool reacted in a very natural (for those of us with kiddies) concerned manner.. Knowing him personally, rest assured fellow SB'ers, he was extremely tasteful and tactful in his approach. Again, kudos for taking the initiative to actually do something instead of being a spectator.

So I was tasteful & tactful? Hmmm, have to reconsider my word choice next time. Anyway, bedtime for me, I should be back in about 18 hours. Have fun till then.

Cheers,

the fool

Recently, I was in Maui diving with my daughter and the exact same thing was happening only in this case it was with I’m assuming his daughter. I didn't witness it but the local instructor that I was diving with did and the three of us had a lengthy discussion about how incredibly stupid it was. Cudo’s to you for acting on it.

scubafool:
So I was tasteful & tactful? Hmmm, have to reconsider my word choice next time. Anyway, bedtime for me, I should be back in about 18 hours. Have fun till then.

Cheers,

the fool

:laughing: absolutely man!

So, let's see.

Scenerio one:

Adult and child are both experienced divers, fully aware of what they are doing. Talking to them has gained nothing, but no harm was done.

Scenerio two:

Adult and child are both divers, but unaware of the potential danger in what they are doing. Talking to them has educated them to the risk of what they are doing, and hopefully they will think about it more in the future. A net educational gain, and possibly a future problem averted.

Scenerio three:

Adult is diver, child is not qualified. Again, talking to them has hopefully opened their eyes to the potential danger of their activity, and possibly they will reconsider doing this again in the future.

Looking at the same three scenerios and assuming that fool did not approach the adult, we see that in one there is no difference, but in two and three there is a potential problem that is not addressed.

So, I say fool made the right call. Least possible harm, greatest potential gain.

Stephen Ash:
I understand your point...the boy was too young to be stupid.
How old was he?
Was the wetsuit thick enough to overcome the compression at 20 feet?
Was he certified?
(Those questions are rhetorical)

Seems to be several assumptions on both sides to back up the arguments being made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom