Unknowing divers endangering kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtoorish:
I have to side with ScubaFool on this one.

Clearly he could not have known the complete situation, but I believe all of us have been trained to err on the side of caution. His actions seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

Good job.

Jeff
Yeah, what he said.

I'm a little late on this one, but here goes...

Two things (maybe more)... Everyone is talking about assumptions and claiming they aren't making them. Solo diving. Anyone ask fool if he is a certified solo diver? No. But he didn't argue that he was, so one assumes that he isn't. The young boy and his dad didn't argue that the boy was a certified diver either, so I would also draw the same conclusion that he wasn't certified. Also, there is a difference between endangering yourself (as an adult who can make that decision for themselves) and a parent endangering a child. The adult has the right to put themselves in a compromising situation, but NOBODY has the right to endanger anyone else, especially a child.

As a search and rescue, as well as a recovery diver on a fire department, I have seen the results of parents trying to do what they think is right or harmless at the time. Until any of you pull a child's lifeless body out of the water and have to tell a parent you found their "little boy," you may look the other way. After you have done that, your views will drastically change. Personally, I applaud fool for not losing his cool and letting the dad have it right then and there, as I probably would have. When you find a bloated body of a child, the reaction is always the same. "I never thought anything would happen to him/her. I didn't mean for anything to happen." But things DO happen.

Also, as a firefighter, I have seen a parent drive drunk with their kid in the car (and not in a child safety seat) and after they had an accident, they THOUGHT they were okay to drive. They, obviously weren't. They never thought this would happen to them, but it did. The parent depicted here probably meant no harm, but they were lucky it ended without incident.

As a parent, you are responsible for the child's well-being. The words of a judge (I had to testify when a child was killed in an accident) come to mind. As a parent, you must control the situations you put your child in and do everything in your power to keep the child from harm's way. There is a fine line between what is safe and what is considered "child endangerment" and this person definitely crossed that line.

Anyone can say my drunk analogy is not relevant, but to me it is the same. A parent did something they never should have been doing and tragic consequences can occur.

To restate, I agree with fool and would have done the same. Continue the good work.

Oh man, this thread is getting so long in the tooth I'm running out of popcorn.

Dragon2115:
Oh man, this thread is getting so long in the tooth I'm running out of popcorn.

I agree. Since when did scuba diving become rocket science? there really is not that much to it but I think that some people make it more difficult then what it REALLY is. OOPs got to go I have to go to my putting fins on review class...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom