Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on local laws, fondling or unwanted sexual touching can indeed be a criminal offense. Certainly in the US and Canada it is. Not sure about OP's situation because we don't know on what Caribbean island these incidents took place.

His actions go well beyond "unprofessional." Unprofessional conduct would be things like berating students, yelling at them, demeaning them, etc. Rubbing your genitals against someone's buttocks without their consent is WELL past that.

You are essentially victim blaming. You are saying "Well, OP didn't say or do anything to stop it, so the predator might have gotten the impression it was okay to keep going." BS. This instructor knew full well what he was doing was wrong. But he also knew that the way in which he was doing it - pretending that it was part of a skill to be taught, checking her buoyancy, etc. - could give him some amount of "cover." That is absolutely predatory, with malice of forethought, and smacks of someone who has done this many times before.

I'm sorry, but I will not simply agree to disagree on this point. This was 100% on the instructor.
To me,this situation is exactly like a doctor taking advantage of a woman’s annual breast exam and Pap smear. You’re in a compromised position,not really sure what “normal “ should be in many cases and being groped by a trusted professional.

It's sort of funny how gender plays such a strong role here and probably always will. If it was me and the instructor was an attractive she, and day 1 consisted of her climbing on my non-wetsuited back because she told me she forgot to bring it, and she gave me an underwater massage while rubbing against me I would have intentionally failed the mask clearing skill. By now we would be at day 100.
How about if she’s your boss or professor and you’re concerned that if you don’t go along you’ll get fired or fail the class? Now,imagine you have no interest in her and find her interest not only unwanted but repulsive. How would you feel then?

There are only a small number of diveshops on Aruba. That is actually the second shop/instructor on Aruba that has been expelled by PADI for the same reason. The first one was one called Mermaid Divers. They continued to operate for a number of years even though the owner was expelled. Hopefully that won't be allowed to happen in this case.

This is absolutely horrible he did this. You absolutely need to report him to PADI. He should never be able to do this to anyone else.
For the most part the diving community is really good and helpful. There are a lot of great people on this site. Maybe someone close by can help you get some proper instruction and help you get comfortable without making you pay again or have to worry about another situation like this again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom