Rental computers and newer divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The boat's DM made sure that all divers had buddies, and I ended up in a group of three, with the guy sitting next to me on the very crowded boat and another guy on the other side of the boat. I quickly saw that the guy next to me was very experienced. When we met the other guy, we learned that he was visiting America from Europe and was doing only this day's diving, with all equipment rented locally. He seemed confident, and we were all using an appropriate nitrox mix for the two deeper NDL dives (about 110 feet/33 meters max) we were about to do.

The dive went well. We stuck together appropriately as we explored the wreck. About halfway through I checked the European's gas supply, and he did not know how to answer because he was thinking in bars and his gauge was in PSI. I saw he was doing very well--no concerns about gas supply. As we got reasonably near NDLs, we started up the ascent line, with the European going first. At safety stop depth, I saw him looking at the computer in his rented console, and he seemed puzzled. I looked, and I saw that he had 4 more minutes of required decompression to do. I don't know what brand of computer it was (I am not very knowledgeable about current computers), but I could plainly see that he was in deco. He had apparently not realized that he had violated NDLs during the dive.

Back on the boat, we explained it all to him. He had never seen a computer of any kind in deco. We told him that because of what had happened, his next dive would be shortened, and we told him to stay well above us throughout. He did indeed stay well above us throughout the dive, but when started the ascent, we could see that he still had not understood the computer NDL information and had not ascended early enough--he was already well into deco. The other buddy did not have enough wetsuit and was freezing, so I stayed with him throughout his long deco stop.

Back on the boat, it was obvious what had happened. The rental facility he had used had advised him on the proper nitrox mix for the dive, but they had then handed him an unfamiliar rental computer and not told him a damned thing about it. I asked him about the nitrox setting, and he had no idea how to do it. I am sure it was set to air. There is no way he could have been that far into deco with the mix he had.

It can be very hard--borderline impossible in some cases--to set the oxygen percentage on an unfamiliar computer. I have a friend who has more than 200 dives but only does trips once a year, and she has to get out the manual and teach herself how to do it on her one-button computer before every trip. I had never seen this guy's computer before, and I would have had no idea how to do it. I cannot imagine how a shop can tell someone to use a certain percentage of nitrox on a dive and then not make sure the rental computer was properly set. It could have been much worse. What if he had been on air and using a computer previously set for nitrox?

So here are the questions for newer divers reading this.
  1. If you rent a computer, would you know how to set the oxygen percentage?
  2. Would you know how to tell if your NDL is getting low in time to ascend?
  3. Can you recognize when your rental computer is telling you how to do required decompression stops?

I agree that is very irresponsible of the rental/dive shop to not at least set the computer to the proper mix setting AS WELL AS the pressure settings he was accustomed to. Or at least, showing him how to do it himself since some computers will set back to the default air setting after it has been in sleep mode for a period of time.

My wife and I both use Oceanic computers, me the OCi and she the VT4.0 and the menu navigation for each one is very different to get to the mix settings. So even if they were to give someone a brand they are familiar with, unless it's the same model they know, that doesn't necessarily mean they could find the nitrox settings to set them themself.

We recently went on a non diving vacation, with one day of diving, I brought all of our regs with hose mount AI computers to avoid the potential sh!t show you described. I had asked several operators if I could just bring the computers and attach them to their regs, they all said no. This is the one reason I would recommend hose-less AI comps, and will go that route next time.

I have an Oceanic Geo 2, and there's no way anyone would know (or able to intuit) how to set the O2 percentage, without being told or reading the manual. (Hold upper left button, wait for it to shift over to its other mode, then click over to the "F" menu with the buttons on the right, where now you can set O2 for up to two gas mixes...).

I share your pain with this one, the only saving grace of the “rented computer” is that at least it wasn’t set to a richer mix that could have put deco obligation figures the wrong way! (Heaven forbid that would ever happen)
Of course the other piece of incorrect and quite possibly dangerous information would be the no warning of maximum depth with regard PO2,, could also end badly,,, piss poor service from the rental shop there, I’m sure 99% of the time all goes well but I’d hate to be there for the 1%…

At the end of the day, the diver is responsible for his/her own safety. We all carry high-powered computers in our pockets, aka cell phones, that would easily show anyone (including foreign divers speaking a different language) how to set their percentages with a quick Google search. It was irresponsible of Buddy #3 to ignore this very basic requirement --- ESPECIALLY for NDL dive at 110' with two strangers that he met 30 mins prior.

The dive shop renting the gear should have confirmed with the diver that he knew how to set the mix, but I disagree with the notion that they should have set the mix FOR HIM. You are opening up yourself to liability.....it is the same reason I won't analyze people's mixes for them. That is on you. You are certified, you should know the process, and if you don't -- you have no business diving.

Just my two pennies, as someone who hands rental gear to people on a weekly basis.

Hi @boulderjohn

I do a lot of diving in SE Florida. Every year, I see a few divers who skip a required deco stop and end up with a computer in violation gauge mode. These are very obvious errors, I'm sure many other errors go unnoticed. Some of these divers have rental computers, some of them are diving their own!

At least one operator I use posts the operating instructions for their rental computers on the boats. That is a good idea, but only covers their rentals

Hi @boulderjohn

I do a lot of diving in SE Florida. Every year, I see a few divers who skip a required deco stop and end up with a computer in violation gauge mode. These are very obvious errors, I'm sure many other errors go unnoticed. Some of these divers have rental computers, some of them are diving their own!

At least one operator I use posts the operating instructions for their rental computers on the boats. That is a good idea, but only covers their rentals

I find it strange he didn't try to input the mix immediately after analyzing. The DM doesn't have to input it for him, but they should be able to help the diver bring up the appropriate screen on their rental gear.
I didn't grill him on what happened when he rented the stuff. I was trying to be polite. I can only guess. I didn't grill him on the extent of his training. I can only guess.

I have no idea how he was certified in Europe. He may well have been trained (as I believe most OW students still are) on how to use tables, and then set loose to use computers with no formal training on how to use them.

Some of these divers have rental computers, some of them are diving their own!
I have long argued that shops that sell computers should offer a class on how to use them, either included in the price of the computer or at a minimal charge. The camera shop where I have bought most of my camera equipment over the years offers such classes on how to use the features of the cameras they sell.

I am sure Youtube must have a video showing how to use the computer. They should probably give renters or purchasers a link to the basic functions of the computer.

Years ago I was surfacing from a dive in New Mexico and another diver who was in our group surfaced soon after, saying that his computer was acting strange, giving readings he had never seen before. I immediately realized he was in deco and took him down to safety stop depth for an extended stay. It was his computer, and he had no idea what it looked like once you violated NDL.

Back
Top Bottom