Breathing the gas from your BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bold claim. I have seen an OOA situation where a first stage got blocked when a diver went vertical head down and crap inside the tank blocked the first stage. I own my own gear and clean my own bladder. I've been trained for this technique by my BSAC / Commercial diving instructor in the 1980's. Always remembered this for being able to save my own life. An untrained diver may die having air in their BCD but me, I'm selfish and would rather live. Also you can keep the gas inside the BCD and use that for a controlled buoyancy ascent so you do not have to struggle to fin to the surface. BSAC teaches CBA in sports diving. I have mentioned it on this forum and understand some people are not for approving of this being discussed even.

One should not rubbish a live saving last resort if you have 3 mins TTS to surface and got separated from a buddy in down currents and had gear failure or an AOO situation. Having air in the BCD can be enough to safely get you to the surface. I'd rather risk a lung infection that can be cured that a drowning that cannot.

Technical divers have died near the surface because they forgot to open the oxygen gas for the CCR. Shouldn't happen to these experienced divers you will tell me. Try doing a CESA from 35m recreational depth. Not me, I use my BCD.

I do the rebreathing from my BCD a few dives a year with a good buddy if mine. reviewing and training is always a good thing. So is cleaning your BCD bladder.

I'd call the possibilities such as there being enough stuff in the tank to block the tube when upside down "exceptional circumstances."

You suspecting there is no other option means you are guessing.

I'll take my BCD which will have air in it from 40m and you do the CESA. We see who is relaxed and comfortable after riding the BCD to the surface over the one finning like crazy with no air trying to do a 5tts in 3 mins. Good luck.

The context of the wording you cite was "recreational divers."

While oral inflation used to be standard training (I had it in the 70's) it fell out of favor at some later point. My sons were not taught to do that as part of their PADI or TDI classes in the early 2000's. That you and I were trained to do it is not really relevant. Further, what *I* would do and what I'd recommend a *recreational* diver do are not the same thing. I don't know abouy training in Taiwan, but OW divers here are taught to do a CESA though not to demonstrate it until either Rescue or DM (forget which). Very little skill is needed.

I did not suggest finning like crazy to ascend, either. If you can't inflate because you're OOG, OW divers are taught to dump weight to get positive. I'm not an instructor, but as I recall that skill must be demonstrated at the OW (first course) level. Nor did I suggest anything related to any sort of RB.

You suggest, instead, that an OW recreational diver try to learn a new skill on the way up, in an emergency? That it improves the chances of survival? OK. We can agree to disagree, I suppose.

Whether mouth inflation should be taught again is another question, as is whether breathing from a BC or wing should be taught. I think the former has a lot of value. The latter carries training risks arising from (especially) rental BCs that might not be particularly clean inside. As an instructor, I'd be reluctant to teach the skill unless I were sure my insurance would cover the risk. (Again, I'm not an instructor.)

This thread is the first time I've heard of breathing (or sucking) air from the BC except in a dire emergency.

That's why SC is a good resource to learn something new.
I got a bit of backlash some time ago when I did bring this up as I was trained in this skillset.
Yes the training was outside agency courses but my instructor wanted his divers to be able to help themselves first
and not relay on someone else if they have an incident. Now it's all nice and fine to say you should never get separated from your dive buddy but it does happen.

You suggest, instead, that an OW recreational diver try to learn a new skill on the way up, in an emergency? That it improves the chances of survival? OK. We can agree to disagree, I suppose.

Not said that but I have asked why it is not taught at all.
In fact a DM in training asked on this forum questioned why this was not taught.
The reply is always you risk getting a lung infection.

While oral inflation used to be standard training (I had it in the 70's) it fell out of favor at some later point. My sons were not taught to do that as part of their PADI or TDI classes in the early 2000's. That you and I were trained to do it is not really relevant.

I can't imagine not teaching bc oral inflation in my courses.

Oral inflation at the surface is not a requirement for skills??????

Agreed!

I was taught the skill in 2005 and taught it the full duration of my time assisting from 2008-2012. Pretty sure it is still taught.
It is a mandatory skill starting in PADI Confined Water, Dive #1, and several times thereafter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom