Breathing the gas from your BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While oral inflation used to be standard training (I had it in the 70's) it fell out of favor at some later point. My sons were not taught to do that as part of their PADI or TDI classes in the early 2000's
Oral inflation of the BCD was a standard part of the PADI OW course when I first became a professional in 2004. In 2013, when the course was changed to its present form, it received much greater emphasis. Students are required to do it several times during the pool sessions, and they are required to do it in the OW dives.

Something I was wondering about is how common is it for DMs to expect people to orally evacuate all the air in the BCDs in order facilitate a negative buoyancy entry?

Something I was wondering about is how common is it for DMs to expect people to orally evacuate all the air in the BCDs in order facilitate a negative buoyancy entry?
Start with the fact that negative entries are rare to begin with. On the ones I have done, I don't ever remember a DM suggesting it.

Start with the fact that negative entries are rare to begin with. On the ones I have done, I don't ever remember a DM suggesting it.

Yes not common. Also when doing so no one had to tell us to make sure we had no air in the BCD for a negative entry.

I do a negative entry by squeezing the BC to (mostly) empty with my hands on the boat, then enter the water partially or fully heads down with the rear dump valve open. My rig is balanced, not overweight by even one pound. There's just no reason to try to suck the thing dry using your lungs.

The idea of using it as a counterlung in an absolute life/death scenario is, well, yes better than dying, but it's also a completely distinct tangent to the procedures for negative entry which do not involve breathing from the BC. Counterlungs are cleaned regularly with steramine.

Great again to see everyone sharing their sensible closed minded or otherwise ideas on diving

Ninetynine% of my entries are negative and when evacuating the bc I cop a mouthful of water

Imagine world wide enterprises unable to teach cam buckles to prevent a tank from falling out
and yet teaches you how you put it back, once it falls out when you stand, or when underwater

A cambuckle addendum during a club night over some beers or schnapps would be invaluable

If it were a car forum everyone would be walking

Oral inflation of the BCD was a standard part of the PADI OW course when I first became a professional in 2004. In 2013, when the course was changed to its present form, it received much greater emphasis. Students are required to do it several times during the pool sessions, and they are required to do it in the OW dives.

I stand (well, sit) corrected, so far as current standards go. Is that surface inflation or buoyancy management underwater?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom