Question Teric versus Perdix 2 for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Teric is a smaller font, so could be less easy to read for people of that certain age where close-up seems to move further away, eventually needing arm extensions.
Not in my experience. Compared to the tech display of the Perdix, the Teric numbers were about 1-2 mm shorter (depending on what you were comparing). However, the greater brightness and contrast made the Teric far more readable for my aging eyes.

I'm not sure how the Perdix 2 screen compares on that readability front. However, I found the 2-button navigation maddening, so I would get a Teric over the Perdix 2 on that basis alone.

Not looking for things to criticise! They're so shiny -- own three Shearwaters and looking for another!

The Teric is a smaller font, so could be less easy to read for people of that certain age where close-up seems to move further away, eventually needing arm extensions.

Think that the Perdix would be more rugged when thrown in a bag with a load of dive kit. Mine's lasted many hundreds of boat dives being thrown into a sack with the other kit -- SMBs, spools, knives, torches, etc. But the Teric would be more of a wearable, although would need to be carefully placed after removing it from a drysuit whist undressing and not rolling around in a boat.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either.
So far the Teric font is good enough. Eyes are getting older (shockingly fast) though. But I expect I have a few more years before absolutely needing to go to reader lenses on my mask. In-dive wrist distance still seem ok.

I have the Teric with the Deep 6 Excursion as my backup. Both fit the the semi-hardshell case that comes with the Teric, including the factory charging clip/bases ( along with usb cable, spare pins, spare screen protector. ) Case is about 5"x4"x3" and I removed the custom-cut foam insert, which simply pops out.

Not looking for things to criticise! They're so shiny
LOL! Just bought that Perdix 2 for my wife. Hasn't been in the water yet. My old Perdix isn't looking too good, but it works great. The Teric in the photo has over 800 dives on it!

There have been a lot of good posts in this thread that had me close to thinking about the Teric, but after browsing the thread on Teric repairs/replacements, I think I'm back to leaning toward the Perdix 2 (about 90% there):

I just saw this other thread (link below) about Teric problems. After reviewing it and the other in my post above, I'd say I'm at 99% for Perdix 2 now.

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either option. I know the compass is important to you, and you’ve seen the compass options for both. I own a Teric and have never needed any service. But if I was buying a replacement I think I’d get the Perdix 2 for the larger screen.

I’ve read that Shearwater has the best digital compass of all the dive computer brands (don’t know if that true or not). In my experience, I used the compass on the Teric for my Navigation cert dives, and it was fine. I don’t think it’s as nice or as responsive as the compass on the Apple Watch though. I’m going on some dives in Key Largo next week where I’ll have both and I’ll be comparing the compasses for navigating the reefs on the trip. I’ll report back here with my opinions.

As stated by others, You can’t go wrong with either. I find the teric requires more care (thorough rinsing post dive to make sure salt doesn’t stick to the buttons) and the battery is short (when compared to Garmin offerings) but that teric display is just amazing (you don’t need a torch any more :))

I went with the Perdix for the AA battery (no need to charge) and larger display BUT the screen res of the teric and the compass overlay are just great

Perdix 2 used quite a bit, new teric screen comparison.
84903A6C-E3C0-4E4B-9456-EB1A2C7DB416.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom