Comparison - Shearwater Petrel, Perdix, and Teric

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingjd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking about new Shearwater computer, air integrated. I am an experienced open water diver, nitrox but nothing more exotic. No tec, rebreather, no trimix. What would be the advantages of a Perdix, Petrel, or Teric? I’m old enough to need readers, do a big clear display is a plus. Thanks for your thoughts.

Based on what you said I would go perdix.

The screen on the teric is smaller so not as easy to read. It is still nice and clear just not as big. Unless you also want to use it as a daily wear watch, if that's the case then teric.

Between the petral and the perdix the petrel is physically bulkier. The reason for the bulk is it is designed to bu used with CCR so needs the extra electronics. You said you don't dive CCR so you don't need this. And if you do go CCR your unit will have wired computers and your other one becomes a offboard.

I have a perdix 1 that I got prior to going tech, it now serves as a offboard backup to my nerd 2 and petrel 2 on boards. It's a version 1 so the screen isn't as nice as the new ones but if you can't read it you really need a prescription mask with a strong prescription.

I think (not 100 percent sure) that the only benefit of the petral for OC is a stronger vibration alarm.

Unless you want a watch format, the Perdix is the one for you. Have used one for 7 years and it’s great. It now works as a primary computer if I’m diving open circuit but mainly gets used as a backup when diving a rebreather.

The Petrel is for use on a rebreather and will normally have a cable attached. Not for your use case.

The Perdix has a great screen, has lots of information, a useful compass, but most of all it is easy to use with two buttons. The single AA sized battery lasts a whole season if you use a SAFT lithium battery but can use a cheap and readily available alkaline battery. All modern Perdix computers come with air integration.

The "recreational" mode has less information displayed with larger text. The "technical" mode displays more information but is easy to read. Additional information is available by pressing the right hand button.

I prefer to use a bungee strap rather than the supplied elastic clip straps.

Also get a Trilobite line cutter and put it on the bungee strap below your wrist. An easy to get to place to get to the cutter when needed — and easy to slide back in.

How important is air integration?

A Peregrine (which doesn’t have AI) cost $530. To upgrade to a Perdix 2 with a transmitter, you’ll spend $1475.

You should do whatever makes you happy. If you were a friend, I’d recommend for you to buy a Peregrine and ditch your likely massive spg/depth console in favor of a medium sized naked SPG clipped to a waist D-ring.

The $900 you save can buy a plane ticket to someplace really fun to dive.

Also get a Trilobite line cutter and put it on the bungee strap below your wrist. An easy to get to place to get to the cutter when needed — and easy to slide back in.
It can't usually be reached with both hands in this location. A chest strap location is better.

I am thinking about new Shearwater computer, air integrated. I am an experienced open water diver, nitrox but nothing more exotic. No tec, rebreather, no trimix. What would be the advantages of a Perdix, Petrel, or Teric? I’m old enough to need readers, do a big clear display is a plus. Thanks for your thoughts.
Despite having a smaller screen, I think the Teric is the easiest to read with old eyes, but personally I would go with the Perdix for all its other features.

A big consideration is battery format - do you prefer rechargeable (Teric) or AA battery. Pros and cons to both. Some people have had battery issues with the Teric. Also consider interface -4 button Teric or 2 button on all other Shearwaters. The P computers are so intuitive and easy use to you barely even need the manual.

It can't usually be reached with both hands in this location. A chest strap location is better.
With a Perdix on one wrist, a Petrel on the other, both with Trilobites attached, they’re available from either hand. Plus another Trilobite on the waistband and a Remora knife in a pocket…

With a Perdix on one wrist, a Petrel on the other, both with Trilobites attached, they’re available from either hand. Plus another Trilobite on the waistband and a Remora knife in a pocket…
OK, two computers and two knives, each reachable by a hand Fine. Your post made it sound like one computer, one knife. BAD idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom