Teric or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Teric and my only beef is the lame watch band options. The face of the watch is massive but the typical bands including the OEM band taper down to a narrow width that looks and feels stupid. The size of the face versus the band width is like a caricature of a watch.

Unless you plan to use it on land, I would go for the perdix. I got the Teric for my wife but I always take the perdix even for easy dives

I do not own a PERDIX 2, but I do own both a Teric and a PERDIX AI, so I will be basing what I say on my own personal experience.
Several years ago, I was on a trip on a LOB, and my Dive Computer died on me. That day, I decided that I would never dive (recreationally) without some form of redundancy.

I ended up with a Teric that I wear on one wrist & a PERDIX AI that I wear on the other wrist. (This would probably be a good time to mention that I am looking at the displays with 63 (almost 64) year old eyes.)

I found (and admittedly everybody is different so as they say YMMV) that although the Teric has a smaller display, for me, it was much easier to read and it became the one that I turned to more often than not.

As others have mentioned or alluded to, I think that any/all of these DCs are great and I think you would likely find that for the requirements that you described, you would be happy with any of them.

So I am in the market for a Shearwater dive computer. I am conisdering the Teric or the Perdix 2. I am replacing an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (I believe Atomics will no longer service it) that I like but I want to go wrist mount.

I don't see myself at my age diving exotic gasses and pushing myself past recreation limits. Looking for some advice as to which way I should go from people who may have experience with both. I understand the batteries are replaceable in the Perdix 2 - But I have no problem shipping my watch to have it regularly serviced when needed.

The screen in videos does not look considerably larger than the Teric. As I understand it, the Teric has more customizable features.

What other considerations am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
I own a Perdix AI, Petrel 3, and a Teric. Unless you’re planning on free diving which only Teric can do, I would go with Perdix or Petrel. I find their larger screen much easier to see over the Teric. After having several another manufacturers built in batteries die suddenly on me (and having dive shop say it’s my fault, I need to charge it every month even if I’m not diving) I have strong preference for batteries I can change. I can always find a AA battery, I may not always be able to find a charge pad. My wife’s Teric charger died but thankfully it’s compatible with much cheaper Qi chargers.

Sam

I have owned 2 teric, perdix AI and perdix 2, I only have the perdix 2 now, glass upgrade pur crispness on par with teric with better size font. Changeable batteries. Covers everything I would ever need.

I have 2 x Terics, 2 x Predators, 1 x Petrel, and 3 x NERD2. I have had a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI at different times in the past.

Perdix 2 has LCD screen and is rated for 850 ft.. Display is 2.2". Thickness is 1.5".

Teric is roughly $100 more and has AMOLED screen, and WAY better compass, and is rated for 660 ft. Display is 1.39". Thickness is 18mm (0.7").

Petrel 3 is roughly another $100 more and has AMOLED screen, is rated for 950 ft. Display is 2.6". Thickness is 1.5".

At one time, I had a Perdix AI. The Teric came out so I bought one and dived with them both for a while.

I had/have Old Man Eyes and, at the time, was diving without contact lenses. I found the Teric to be just as easy to read (and in Standard mode, not Big mode) as the Perdix AI. I believe that is due to the better contrast and brightness and real estate usage of the Teric versus the Perdix. The screen is smaller, but the important #s are not THAT much smaller. They ARE closer together.

After diving them both for a while and finding I prefer the Teric, I sold the Perdix AI and bought a second Teric. I have no regrets on that whatsoever. I use my Terics for all OC diving and as a standalone backup during CCR diving. On trips where I want to be sure I don't miss a dive because a computer died and I didn't have another that knows what my current inert gas load is, I take both Terics and secure one around the low pressure inflator hose/corrugated hose on my rig, then put the other one on my wrist, so they are always both in the water with me. Being such a small form factor makes that very easy and convenient.

The compass on the Teric is SO much nicer than the compass on the "bricks"! And the 4-button interface is a lot nicer, too. Having an Up button and a Back button makes navigating the menus a lot nicer. You CAN use the Teric like a brick by only using 2 of the buttons. The Teric lower left and upper right buttons do the same jobs as the Perdix's 2 buttons - i.e. Down and Select.

Also, I will say that the buttons on a Perdix sometimes get pushed by accident, usually by dry glove rings. I personally know 2 people who have had actual gas switches done on their Perdix without their knowledge or intent, because of inadvertent buttons pushes. That has never happened to me with a Teric. Yet they are still plenty easy to operate while wearing wet or dry gloves.

I have had to send both my Terics off for battery replacements several times each now. But, the batteries have never been an issue when diving. The "battery issue" with Terics is that they CAN start to discharge too rapidly when stored. Even when they get like that, they still last plenty long enough to get a few days of diving out of one full charge. So, the "battery issue" just means you have to charge them more often than Shearwater says you are supposed to need to.

Signed,
Your A#1 Teric Fanboy
:)

I have 2 x Terics, 2 x Predators, 1 x Petrel, and 3 x NERD2. I have had a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI at different times in the past.
Some might say what you have is a "problem" :rofl3:

The compass on the Teric is SO much nicer than the compass on the "bricks"!
Spot on!! I have the floating compass on all the time. Instant North reference with no sacrifice of other information

I decided to go with the Petrel 3. I am going to give it a shot. If I don't like it, I can send it back for one of the other two devices. I wanted the AMOLED technology. I don't see myself wearing the watch-style device. I really appreciate everyone's opinion. Love to be apart of the greater diving community.

Some might say what you have is a "problem" :rofl3:
Hey! I like my toys too!

Then for all we know, @stuartv might be an octopus pretending to be a diver

Had both (Perdix AI. Ditched the Teric in favor of a second Perdix for the other arm.

I found the Perix, with two buttons, easier to navigate functionality. With its 4 buttons, I was always at a loss to figure out which button triggered which functionality so I wasted a lot of time. Well, not a lot, but it was bothersome so I booted it as soon as it came back from getting a new battery after 35 ish dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom