Teric or Perdix 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 2 x Terics, 2 x Predators, 1 x Petrel, and 3 x NERD2. I have had a Petrel 2 and a Perdix AI at different times in the past.

Perdix 2 has LCD screen and is rated for 850 ft.. Display is 2.2". Thickness is 1.5".

Teric is roughly $100 more and has AMOLED screen, and WAY better compass, and is rated for 660 ft. Display is 1.39". Thickness is 18mm (0.7").

Petrel 3 is roughly another $100 more and has AMOLED screen, is rated for 950 ft. Display is 2.6". Thickness is 1.5".

At one time, I had a Perdix AI. The Teric came out so I bought one and dived with them both for a while.

I had/have Old Man Eyes and, at the time, was diving without contact lenses. I found the Teric to be just as easy to read (and in Standard mode, not Big mode) as the Perdix AI. I believe that is due to the better contrast and brightness and real estate usage of the Teric versus the Perdix. The screen is smaller, but the important #s are not THAT much smaller. They ARE closer together.

After diving them both for a while and finding I prefer the Teric, I sold the Perdix AI and bought a second Teric. I have no regrets on that whatsoever. I use my Terics for all OC diving and as a standalone backup during CCR diving. On trips where I want to be sure I don't miss a dive because a computer died and I didn't have another that knows what my current inert gas load is, I take both Terics and secure one around the low pressure inflator hose/corrugated hose on my rig, then put the other one on my wrist, so they are always both in the water with me. Being such a small form factor makes that very easy and convenient.

The compass on the Teric is SO much nicer than the compass on the "bricks"! And the 4-button interface is a lot nicer, too. Having an Up button and a Back button makes navigating the menus a lot nicer. You CAN use the Teric like a brick by only using 2 of the buttons. The Teric lower left and upper right buttons do the same jobs as the Perdix's 2 buttons - i.e. Down and Select.

Also, I will say that the buttons on a Perdix sometimes get pushed by accident, usually by dry glove rings. I personally know 2 people who have had actual gas switches done on their Perdix without their knowledge or intent, because of inadvertent buttons pushes. That has never happened to me with a Teric. Yet they are still plenty easy to operate while wearing wet or dry gloves.

I have had to send both my Terics off for battery replacements several times each now. But, the batteries have never been an issue when diving. The "battery issue" with Terics is that they CAN start to discharge too rapidly when stored. Even when they get like that, they still last plenty long enough to get a few days of diving out of one full charge. So, the "battery issue" just means you have to charge them more often than Shearwater says you are supposed to need to.

Signed,
Your A#1 Teric Fanboy
:)
Hi there, I have a Teric and Perdix AI too and much prefer the Teric for clarity and layout. Waiting for a discounted Journeys edition to come up before getting a 2nd as my backup :) and selling the Perdix. My actual question is if wearing 2 Terics on the same arm would the compass still work or would they interfere with each other? I know very little how electric compasses work, or liquid ones for that matter! But as you have 2 it would be very easy to try and you may have already brought them close to each other to test just out of curiosity…? Cheers

Hi there, I have a Teric and Perdix AI too and much prefer the Teric for clarity and layout. Waiting for a discounted Journeys edition to come up before getting a 2nd as my backup :) and selling the Perdix. My actual question is if wearing 2 Terics on the same arm would the compass still work or would they interfere with each other? I know very little how electric compasses work, or liquid ones for that matter! But as you have 2 it would be very easy to try and you may have already brought them close to each other to test just out of curiosity…? Cheers
They will work fine on the same arm

My actual question is if wearing 2 Terics on the same arm would the compass still work or would they interfere with each other?
Why wear them on the same arm? Assuming, of course, that you have two, it might be beneficial to wear the second on the other arm. I wear a Perdix on my right and a Garmin on my left. I noticed early on, that there were times when one hand was occupied, and it was easier to check computer data by using the other arm.

If I carry a backup I keep it clipped off in a pocket. I don't see any need to wear them both.

Why wear them on the same arm? Assuming, of course, that you have two, it might be beneficial to wear the second on the other arm. I wear a Perdix on my right and a Garmin on my left. I noticed early on, that there were times when one hand was occupied, and it was easier to check computer data by using the other arm.
My theory being that if one did die on me, the backup is in the place I know and takes no adjusting to for any of the skills in the way I am used to performing them. It may be a minor consideration but its enough for me. Also, and it might just be with the Aqualung transmitter, but I find when I have worn the Teric on the left wrist I get the occasional signal drop out, but never from the right wrist. (Transmitter on right post).

My theory being that if one did die on me, the backup is in the place I know and takes no adjusting to for any of the skills in the way I am used to performing them. It may be a minor consideration but its enough for me. Also, and it might just be with the Aqualung transmitter, but I find when I have worn the Teric on the left wrist I get the occasional signal drop out, but never from the right wrist. (Transmitter on right post).
That's a fair statement, and it may work perfectly for your diving. Just something to consider. In my case, my primary is AI, but my alternate is not, so the AI dropout is not really an issue. I've also not had a problem regardless of what side the transmitter or Perdix were located. Never had a dropout, though I did have a few when on opposite sides with my previous DC (Oceanic VT4.1).

Granted, my diving is probably different than a lot. Apart from training dives, I can't really recall a recent dive where I didn't have something in one or both of my hands. Ironically, it was on the most recent training dive that I noticed the benefit the most. Did a Stress & Rescue dive earlier this year. During the many "rescue ascents", I noticed that I was really glad to have the backup on my other wrist. As my right wrist was occupied with control of the "victim", it was a lot easier to monitor my ascent using my left.

The perdix 2 with newer glass doesn’t give up any readability quality to the teric. It has user changed batteries and no threads based on how often they need to be fixed or replaced. I owned both as the common occurrence of issues was a worry I didn’t need, so perdix 2 I kept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom