Review shearwater perdix ai vs teric vs garmin mk2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seals9121

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Once again, I want to share my experiences with the Ocean Reef, OTS, and Kirby Morgan full-face masks (FFMs). To avoid relying solely on reviews and uncertain product quality, I decided to purchase all three. I apologize if my straightforwardness upsets you, especially if you own one of the products and disagree with my opinion. However, I will proceed with my honest assessment.

Background: I primarily dive in California's cold waters, where visibility ranges from 5 to 10 meters, occasionally reaching 20 meters. Most of my dives are recreational, ranging from 30 to 40 meters, with some simple tech dives reaching 50 to 60 meters. I have exclusively used full-face masks for the past three years and engage in photography, scuba spearfishing, and free diving spearfishing.

Perdix AI:

1. The Perdix AI is simply the best for solo diving, period. Its screen size is unbeatable, making everything easier. Regardless of other apps' functions or advancements, the Perdix AI's large display, worn on the drysuit, is incredibly easy to read. Everything I need is conveniently available on one screen. I despise scrolling through pages or pushing buttons during every dive—it becomes bothersome. The Perdix AI gets the job done right.
  2. Battery life is amazing—almost infinite. You will never have to worry about battery life on a single dive trip, a 7-day diving expedition, or even when you forget to charge it for a month. Turn it on, and you'll find it still at 90% battery. It truly is a superb product for both tech and recreational diving, providing an exceptional user experience.
Teric: In short, the Teric is a disappointing product. Regardless of how much you try to convince yourself that you love it, there are several drawbacks:

• Battery life is notably poor, especially after two years of use. It doesn't hold a charge as effectively as before, requiring a special charger or an Apple iPhone charger.
  • Its functions are comparable to a Garmin MK2i but with limited capabilities. Claims of accuracy in the decompression program are pointless since most divers follow safe protocols. A $40 computer won't put your life at risk.
  • Garmin can outperform the Teric in every aspect, ten times over. If you still own a Teric, consider selling it and acquiring a Garmin. If you prefer a watch-type dive computer, the Teric falls short. It doesn't excel at anything else and has too many pages to navigate. Additionally, its buttons are prone to getting squeezed against drysuit seals (and I've tried almost every brand of drysuit). Reading the information becomes tedious, rendering it unsatisfactory.
Garmin MK2i: If Shearwater doesn't improve, the Garmin MK2i will replace it. The air integration with buddies works just fine, and the dive app is reliable. The only issue lies with the screen, which is either comparable to or worse than the Teric. It's too small and presents too many pages. However, in comparison to the Teric, the Garmin MK2i offers a few unbeatable advantages.

The Garmin MK2i is a fully functional Garmin computer. It connects to the Garmin app, excels in free diving, and functions excellently for cycling. Additionally, it connects to all ANT+ devices if desired. It surpasses everything the Teric aims to achieve, and you can wear it every day. Unlike the Teric, you won't hesitate to put it on right after your dive.

In conclusion, these are my honest opinions based on my specific use case. Keep in mind that your experience may vary.

Once again, I want to share my experiences with the Ocean Reef, OTS, and Kirby Morgan full-face masks (FFMs). To avoid relying solely on reviews and uncertain product quality, I decided to purchase all three. I apologize if my straightforwardness upsets you, especially if you own one of the products and disagree with my opinion. However, I will proceed with my honest assessment.

Background: I primarily dive in California's cold waters, where visibility ranges from 5 to 10 meters, occasionally reaching 20 meters. Most of my dives are recreational, ranging from 30 to 40 meters, with some simple tech dives reaching 50 to 60 meters. I have exclusively used full-face masks for the past three years and engage in photography, scuba spearfishing, and free diving spearfishing.

Perdix AI:

1. The Perdix AI is simply the best for solo diving, period. Its screen size is unbeatable, making everything easier. Regardless of other apps' functions or advancements, the Perdix AI's large display, worn on the drysuit, is incredibly easy to read. Everything I need is conveniently available on one screen. I despise scrolling through pages or pushing buttons during every dive—it becomes bothersome. The Perdix AI gets the job done right.
  2. Battery life is amazing—almost infinite. You will never have to worry about battery life on a single dive trip, a 7-day diving expedition, or even when you forget to charge it for a month. Turn it on, and you'll find it still at 90% battery. It truly is a superb product for both tech and recreational diving, providing an exceptional user experience.
Teric: In short, the Teric is a disappointing product. Regardless of how much you try to convince yourself that you love it, there are several drawbacks:

• Battery life is notably poor, especially after two years of use. It doesn't hold a charge as effectively as before, requiring a special charger or an Apple iPhone charger.
  • Its functions are comparable to a Garmin MK2i but with limited capabilities. Claims of accuracy in the decompression program are pointless since most divers follow safe protocols. A $40 computer won't put your life at risk.
  • Garmin can outperform the Teric in every aspect, ten times over. If you still own a Teric, consider selling it and acquiring a Garmin. If you prefer a watch-type dive computer, the Teric falls short. It doesn't excel at anything else and has too many pages to navigate. Additionally, its buttons are prone to getting squeezed against drysuit seals (and I've tried almost every brand of drysuit). Reading the information becomes tedious, rendering it unsatisfactory.
Garmin MK2i: If Shearwater doesn't improve, the Garmin MK2i will replace it. The air integration with buddies works just fine, and the dive app is reliable. The only issue lies with the screen, which is either comparable to or worse than the Teric. It's too small and presents too many pages. However, in comparison to the Teric, the Garmin MK2i offers a few unbeatable advantages.

The Garmin MK2i is a fully functional Garmin computer. It connects to the Garmin app, excels in free diving, and functions excellently for cycling. Additionally, it connects to all ANT+ devices if desired. It surpasses everything the Teric aims to achieve, and you can wear it every day. Unlike the Teric, you won't hesitate to put it on right after your dive.

In conclusion, these are my honest opinions based on my specific use case. Keep in mind that your experience may vary.
Your intro says you are sharing experience with full face masks, but then you review dive computers?:confused:

I have to charge my phone and dive light batteries every night anyway. No big deal to throw the Teric on every few days during a trip as well.

Perdix AI:

I have the AI and also love it. However, I haven't used any other comparably advanced dive computer to say it's unbeatable. Could you say which were the other comparable computers you think it's better than as you did with the Teric? That may really help someone shopping for a dive computer.

I have the AI and also love it. However, I haven't used any other comparably advanced dive computer to say it's unbeatable. Could you say which were the other comparable computers you think it's better than as you did with the Teric? That may really help someone shopping for a dive computer.
The Garmin MK2i computer is a fantastic option for those seeking a versatile and reliable smartwatch. It seamlessly integrates with the Garmin Connect app, which provides daily health data in a user-friendly and visually appealing manner. From tracking your walking steps to accurately monitoring your biking and running activities, the MK2i ensures you have accurate and comprehensive fitness data.

When it comes to diving, the Garmin MK2i truly shines. It boasts an impressive battery life, lasting up to five days of diving without requiring a recharge. With this watch, you can effortlessly keep track of your buddy's air consumption, eliminating the need to constantly ask your wife about her air pressure. For both recreational and tech diving, the Garmin MK2i is unrivaled in terms of functionality and performance.

Comparing it to other dive computers, such as the Teric, the Garmin MK2i surpasses expectations. Its advanced features and intuitive interface make it the preferred choice for divers looking for simplicity and cutting-edge technology combined.

In summary, the Garmin MK2i computer is an exceptional smartwatch that excels in both everyday wear and diving scenarios. With its seamless integration with the Garmin Connect app, it offers comprehensive health data in a user-friendly format. Additionally, its extended battery life and ability to monitor your buddy's air consumption make it the ultimate choice for both recreational and tech diving. Say goodbye to complicated dive computers and embrace the functionality and reliability of the Garmin MK2i.

Perdix AI:

1. The Perdix AI is simply the best for solo diving, period. Its screen size is unbeatable, making everything easier.

Best for solo diving? The Teric does everything the Perdix AI does. And it is less likely to catch on something if, for example, you are reaching through a hole. Or you are trying to reach between your body and a deco/bail out/pony bottle to access a thigh pocket. And it has a better compass.

The Perdix screen size is absolutely NOT unbeatable. In fact, the Petrel 3 screen beats it in two ways. It is 1 cm bigger (diagonal). And the Petrel screen is OLED (like the Teric), where the Perdix screen is LCD. Thus, giving a significant advantage in contrast, which equates to readability, to the Petrel. And makes the Teric just as reable to me, with my Old Man Eyes, as a Perdix screen. And that is with the Teric set in Normal mode. For people with even weaker eyes than mine, they have the option to put the Teric in Big mode.

I have had accidental button presses on a Perdix many times from drysuit rings. I personally know at least 2 people who have had an accidental gas switch happen on their Perdix. I have never had accidental button presses on a Teric (which I have dived with a drysuit and dryglove rings many times).

The battery life is not remotely "infinite". And you absolutely do have to worry about battery life on a 7-day trip. Unless you put in a new battery right before the trip. Otherwise, you still have to check to see how much battery life is left. If it's not a new battery, you still have to make sure the Perdix battery doesn't run out during your trip - or just take a spare battery.

Battery life on a Teric is very good. The spec is to recharge them every 6 months if they are stored for that long at one time. The problem is that a number of Terics have demonstrated defects in their batteries which causes them to lose charge when stored much more rapidly than they should.

I have two Terics. They both need to be sent off for replacement batteries. They are both losing about 20% of their charge from full in one week right now. However, even like they are, I could take them on a 7-day trip, charge them full at the beginning of the trip and only need to charge them again once during the trip. And if they are that bad when they have a defective battery that should have been replaced months ago, that should give you an idea of how good they are when they are working normally.

The Teric does come with a nice, special wireless charger. But, it is simply false to say it requires a special charger or an iPhone charger. You can charge it with any standard Qi-based wireless cell phone charger - which are fairly ubiquitous these days.

And how do you charge a Descent, by the way?

"Claims of accuracy in the decompression program are pointless"?! Huh? What? Is that a backhanded way of saying that the Descent is not as accurate in its deco calculations, but you want everyone to think that that is inconsequential?

Can you show us how the Descent outperforms the Teric in the compass department? At all? Much less "ten times over"? Does the Descent also give the user the option to see their current SurfGF info during the dive? What about their GF99? Their +5 Delta?

Does the Garmin allow the user to import their dive log via Bluetooth directly into the Subsurface divelog application? I will assert that Subsurface is the nicest electronic dive log available. And, it is free, supports just about every computer on the market, offers free Cloud storage, and runs on Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. I really enjoy that I have one dive log that contains every dive from every different dive computer I've ever owned (10? ish? From at least 4 different brands) all in one place. And if/when I change to a different brand someday in the future, I will still be able to keep one log, with everything in it.

So, as a "watch-sized dive computer", and other than the ones that have needed to have a battery replacement, how does a Teric "fall short" as a dive computer? It shows me everything I need to see on one screen. The only time I need to press any buttons is if I'm doing a gas switch - or I want to see what actual time it is, as I don't keep the current time of day on my home screen (and it's not on the Perdix home screen, either).

The Garmin air integration uses a different mode (RF) in air versus in water (Ultrasonic). That means that when you check your Garmin AI to make sure it's working before you splash, it tells you NOTHING about whether it will still be working once you are underwater. Personally, I want to be able to verify ALL my gear is working BEFORE I splash.

It certainly does not surpass the Teric - or even get close to it - in its ability to help you navigate. The only computer that I know of that gets close is the Shearwater NERD - which is actually the King of Compass Navigation in my book. Apart from the NERD, the Teric compass is the Gold Standard in electronic compasses and I don't think the Garmin even touches it.

When it comes to diving, the Garmin MK2i truly shines. It boasts an impressive battery life, lasting up to five days of diving without requiring a recharge. With this watch, you can effortlessly keep track of your buddy's air consumption, eliminating the need to constantly ask your wife about her air pressure. For both recreational and tech diving, the Garmin MK2i is unrivaled in terms of functionality and performance.

Comparing it to other dive computers, such as the Teric, the Garmin MK2i surpasses expectations. Its advanced features and intuitive interface make it the preferred choice for divers looking for simplicity and cutting-edge technology combined.

The Garmin certainly does a lot more non-diving stuff than the Teric, though. Which I personally could not care less about. I don't wear anything on my wrists when I'm not diving. If I did want a sports watch, I would buy a Fenix or similar and use that for those activities where it IS actually better.

It's nice that the Garmin can last "up to" 5 days of diving without requiring a charge. A Teric with a normal battery can easily go longer than that. Even with my current fairly crippled ones I can do a week of diving and only charge them once - just like I would (apparently) have to do for 7 days of diving with a Garmin...

I do not care one tiny bit about being able to check my buddy's air on my computer. If I'm diving with students, it is MUCH better to ASK them what their tank pressure is than to think I'm going to monitor it remotely. I feel the same way about dive buddies. If I want to know their pressure, asking them means that I learn what it is and *I* know that *they* know what it is and have been reminded to check it periodically. If I were to dive with somebody that I actually needed to constantly monitor their pressure, then that means they suck as a diver and I would not continue to dive with them.

The Garmin definitely does not surpass MY expectations. It doesn't even live up to them. Not being able to verify that my AI is working before I splash is a dealbreaker for me right off the bat. It's also not as readable in some lighting conditions.

The Garmin may be the preferred choice for recreational sport divers who want one "Swiss Army watch", rather than spending what it costs to have 2 separate tools that are each the best tool for the job they are intended for. From my personal experience and opinion and from looking at what all the many serious sport and technical divers wear that I know, I would say that is also simply false that the Garmin is the "preferred choice" for divers who prioritize having the best tool for the job over "simplicity" or "latest shiny gadget" (aka cutting-edge technology). And yes, I do understand that you said "divers looking for simplicity and cutting-edge technology combined." I won't argue if your statement is correct. I'm speaking about what you implied by that statement and your previous statements about your background of doing 60m tech dives.

I see WAY more Shearwaters (including Terics) on divers who, say, do 50+ dives per year than I see Garmins on those divers. And the few I see that have a Garmin usually also have a Shearwater on the other wrist. For OC tech diving, I wear two Terics. I don't recall ever seeing anyone so confident in the Garmin that they were doing accelerated deco dives with 2 Garmins and no other computer.

Back
Top Bottom