Perdix AI v Teric v Garmin MK3i - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple comments to a few of your points.
1. my Garmin Mk2i Decent does not loose my tanks like the Perdix AI does because it is a line of sight connection.
True. The Garmin connection is good for longer distances. However, I don't have any issues with my Perdix AI losing connection with the PPS transmitters. Also have a couple of Oceanics connected to different PPS transmitters in the family, and no issues there either.
3.) Garmin you will need to adjust it to your needs and yes before it is mentioned the GAUGE screen if it gets activated and the phone gets wet you are screwed for 24 hours
Do you mean manually activating the Gauge screen, or by violation? You can disable the 24 hour lockout from a violation on the Garmin. Good point though on adjusting to your needs. Out of the box, the Garmin has a bunch of activities in the Favorites menu. I dropped many of the ones that I don't use, or don't use often, out of the favorites. Gauge mode is one of them, so accidentally selecting Gauge mode isn't likely. I don't know if just activating the mode triggers the 24 hour lock, or whether you actually have to dive in gauge mode to lock out of normal dive functions.
8.) shearwater battery gets chewed up quickly be prepared to swap batteries per every couple dives
What kind of batteries are you using? Something seems wrong. I'm using rechargeable Li-Ion 3.7v batteries and can get way more than a couple dives between recharges.

New unit magic shearwater clown power of the perdix 2... fyi I do not have it set to micro bright/dim for a 1 year old owls eyes setting in pitch black darkness... it is not broken it is designed for a "certain" "ego" ,,, I just am not that "ego" {insert some fad cult stuff}... I need a computer which does not get caught up or stands out like a huge wart on my forearm asking for damage. plus the shearwater is just the little it bitty backup to my Garmin mk2 computer the little helper the weak child to backup if something goes wrong on a dive until I can afford a second Garmin... I hope its battery draining powers do not kill it before a dive completes. I also use it w AI as a backup to the mechnical psi/bar gauges SIX to EIGHT dives if your lucky ( NOTE BEFORE SNAPPING BACK I HAVE IT ON HIGHEST BRIGHTNESS SO I CAN READ IT UNDERWATER )
The unit may be good for moles and people with night vision, but that is not I ... if i was diving in MUD or pitch dark maybe the brigtness could be turned down maybe it could go longer but that is not the case.
If you are saying (it's hard to tell what you are saying) that the Perdix is only giving you 6-8 dives on a battery, no matter how you have it set up, there's something broken. I will get at least 60 dives + a year standby on my Perdix before I start to think about the battery. I'd send your Perdix in for evaluation.

Just to update -
I bought a Teric which I’ll use for travel and as a backup to my Perdix. I’ll probably move to the Teric as I’m getting LASIK next month so I’ll be able to see without readers.
I’ve pre-ordered a Tern TX for my daughter which should hopefully be here this week which I’ll compare with my Teric. I sold her Perdix AI which covered 75% of the cost of the Tern.

I also use it w AI as a backup to the mechnical psi/bar gauges SIX to EIGHT dives if your lucky ( NOTE BEFORE SNAPPING BACK I HAVE IT ON HIGHEST BRIGHTNESS SO I CAN READ IT UNDERWATER )
What kind of batteries are you using? Cheap alkaline or NiMH or something? Or do your dives last hours?

Even on the highest brightness, with AI, you should get at the very least 30 hours out of a single AA. Preferably a Lithium AA, as they're not prone to leaking.

Just to update -
I bought a Teric which I’ll use for travel and as a backup to my Perdix. I’ll probably move to the Teric as I’m getting LASIK next month so I’ll be able to see without readers.
I’ve pre-ordered a Tern TX for my daughter which should hopefully be here this week which I’ll compare with my Teric. I sold her Perdix AI which covered 75% of the cost of the Tern.
The Teric has an AMOLED screen, which is a lot brighter and high contrast than the screen of the Perdix. The Petrel also has an AMOLED screen, and actually a bigger screen than the Perdix.

If readability is an issue I would also look into the new petrel as it has an lcd screen and I've found it the easiest to read

If you are saying (it's hard to tell what you are saying) that the Perdix is only giving you 6-8 dives on a battery, no matter how you have it set up, there's something broken. I will get at least 60 dives + a year standby on my Perdix before I start to think about the battery. I'd send your Perdix in for evaluation.
Agreed; I did 30+ dives in Sulawesi, and then 15 dives in Belize from October to December last year on one AA battery (all dives 50m-70m) on my Perdix AI. Something is definitely wrong with computer if they are replacing after 8 dives.

I also think _sgm_ may have been on very good medication when they posted.... :wink:

If readability is an issue I would also look into the new petrel as it has an lcd screen and I've found it the easiest to read

I think you meant that it has an AMOLED screen.

I posted a pic comparing both screens on page 2, with the new glass of perdix 2 I don’t believe there is a measurable difference, in sunlight the perdix 2 is easier to read. Having had cataract surgery and now thankfully 20/20 across the board I used both with bad and good vision.

Back
Top Bottom