Perdix AI v Teric v Garmin MK3i - Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple comments to a few of your points.

True. The Garmin connection is good for longer distances. However, I don't have any issues with my Perdix AI losing connection with the PPS transmitters. Also have a couple of Oceanics connected to different PPS transmitters in the family, and no issues there either.

Do you mean manually activating the Gauge screen, or by violation? You can disable the 24 hour lockout from a violation on the Garmin. Good point though on adjusting to your needs. Out of the box, the Garmin has a bunch of activities in the Favorites menu. I dropped many of the ones that I don't use, or don't use often, out of the favorites. Gauge mode is one of them, so accidentally selecting Gauge mode isn't likely. I don't know if just activating the mode triggers the 24 hour lock, or whether you actually have to dive in gauge mode to lock out of normal dive functions.

What kind of batteries are you using? Something seems wrong. I'm using rechargeable Li-Ion 3.7v batteries and can get way more than a couple dives between recharges.
1.) your needs and my needs are different needs [your 'opinion' is noted]
2.) The Gauge feature I fixed with a SDK code re-write no longer a issue [after I found out about the simple fav setup] and yes activating the mode ( if the unit gets wet or suspects it is underwater even 12 inches ) 24 hour clock is started
3.) I am not using Rechargable batteries my Average Dive is 60~90 minutes... 50~60M 2 AI transmitters 8 dives new battery.

I suspect your going shallow (above 30M) I also suspect your are running 1 gas profile I also suspect you are just using 1 not 2+ units for AI

If you are saying (it's hard to tell what you are saying) that the Perdix is only giving you 6-8 dives on a battery, no matter how you have it set up, there's something broken. I will get at least 60 dives + a year standby on my Perdix before I start to think about the battery. I'd send your Perdix in for evaluation.
Maybe this will help out .... every ( toiletwater ) shearwater Zealot has a opinion or nugget of knowledge they wish to share or derrogetory comment because I used the toiletwater or have bad toiletwater which needs to be evaluated.
If you mean a off the shelf unit NEW is BAD then toiletwater is BAD ( using your logic )
Next you mean you get 3600~5400 minutes of use per 3.7v battery ?
you are using 2~4 AI units AND your average dive sits between 60~90 Minutes per dive ( With Gas Switches )
That means your battery lasts 60~90 hours of DIVING use?.. ( you and the toiletwater zealots want to RECALCULATE your battery consumption ) List your Brightness setting, include the number of concurrent Gas profiles run, plus the number of AI units in use simultaneously?
All those sensors displays and calculaitons ( take power and CPU clock cycles )
On to the next

What kind of batteries are you using? Cheap alkaline or NiMH or something? Or do your dives last hours?

Even on the highest brightness, with AI, you should get at the very least 30 hours out of a single AA. Preferably a Lithium AA, as they're not prone to leaking.

The Teric has an AMOLED screen, which is a lot brighter and high contrast than the screen of the Perdix. The Petrel also has an AMOLED screen, and actually a bigger screen than the Perdix.
Dives last hours or on average 60~90 minutes plus brightness is set to the ceiling 100% water is exceptionally clear most of the time so I need it to be visible like the Garmin as the perdix is the backup until the Mk3i comes in..
From jump I got 8 dives off the battery they unit came with another 8 off the next battery granted the dives were 90 minutes each.
Most people need to realize if I had brightness to ZEro or close I could probably get your numbers I QUOTED THIS FACT TO START WITH.
Environment is Bright I do not dive Eternal Night ... if I did then I bet I could get more out of the unit ... because I could set the brighness lower.. most Zealots for this companies computer have brightness set to 10~20%

Agreed; I did 30+ dives in Sulawesi, and then 15 dives in Belize from October to December last year on one AA battery (all dives 50m-70m) on my Perdix AI. Something is definitely wrong with computer if they are replacing after 8 dives.

I also think _sgm_ may have been on very good medication when they posted.... :wink:
Nope just quoted facts which shearwater zealots refused to READ ... just like the problem I had when living in hookset NH nobody LISTENS.
1.) dives are on Avg 90 minutes
2.) brightness set to 100%
3.) 2~4 AI units
4.) 2+ gas switches minimum per dive ( Back Running ) Travel ( deco )

What would help is if you stated what batteries you use. You stated non-rechargeable. That doesn’t narrow things down too much.

You seem to have your mind made up, though. Several other Shearwater users have reported vastly different results. I haven’t read another user who reports similar results as you. Doesn’t mean your results aren’t real, but does point to something being not quite right with yours.

Tell you what, when your Garmin arrives, let me know. I’ll take the defective Perdix off your hands.

What would help is if you stated what batteries you use. You stated non-rechargeable. That doesn’t narrow things down too much.

You seem to have your mind made up, though. Several other Shearwater users have reported vastly different results. I haven’t read another user who reports similar results as you. Doesn’t mean your results aren’t real, but does point to something being not quite right with yours.

Tell you what, when your Garmin arrives, let me know. I’ll take the defective Perdix off your hands.
OK the same as the factory battery 1:1
I know I have been snappy in the past ( apologies )
With shearwater perdix2 there are other things I am hammering on with regards to shearwater and their "offerings" since 2019.... I have not slept since yesterday as the data which I am compiling has scared me in so far as ( accessibility to dive data in an emergency with respect to any shearwater device without USB/Serial connectivity. )
Not good news ( there may be something to your concern on drain, but the more concerining factors are around its ability to offload divelogs )

Just be wary of what you pair your perdix2 to... and how available that device is when you dive AND that it will make it to the medical staff with you OPEN AND AVAILABLE FOR THEM in a emergency case.... ( sounds stupid, but may save your life due to the the crappy code they used for the only lifeline into the turd known as perdix2 or have your shearwater username and cloud password tattooed on your arm so they can login "that is assuming the device auto uploads which it does not" )

in short BluetoothLE ( bad implementation ) it is either a firmware or hardware issue, but affects all devices they make which do not have a serial or usb connection.

OK the same as the factory battery 1:1
That has changed through the years. My Perdix originally arrived with a AA alkaline. Those are no longer recommended, so I’m pretty sure they come with something else.
So, I’m thinking it’s either Energizer Lithium 1.5V or SAFT 3.6V. The Energizer should definitely last more than 8 dives. SAFT are often counterfeit, and don’t do well in the cold, IIRC.
With shearwater perdix2 there are other things I am hammering on with regards to shearwater and their "offerings" since 2019.... I have not slept since yesterday as the data which I am compiling has scared me in so far as ( accessibility to dive data in an emergency with respect to any shearwater device without USB/Serial connectivity. )
Not good news ( there may be something to your concern on drain, but the more concerining factors are around its ability to offload divelogs )
I’ve got a handful of dive computers, some download dive data via BT, others via USB. One by either. However, on a dive, or right after a dive, I would only have a chance of downloading via BT. The USB cables are proprietary, so I’m not bringing them on the boat. Many brands have gone to BT connectivity.
in short BluetoothLE ( bad implementation ) it is either a firmware or hardware issue, but affects all devices they make which do not have a serial or usb connection.
What device and app are you using to download dive data. Connection to PC is sometimes flaky. I don’t use a PC. I can connect either with my MacBook or iPhone. I mostly use the iPhone with Subsurface, and have zero issues.

I’m serious, if you want to get rid of your Perdix 2, let me know.

That has changed through the years. My Perdix originally arrived with a AA alkaline. Those are no longer recommended, so I’m pretty sure they come with something else.
So, I’m thinking it’s either Energizer Lithium 1.5V or SAFT 3.6V. The Energizer should definitely last more than 8 dives. SAFT are often counterfeit, and don’t do well in the cold, IIRC.

I’ve got a handful of dive computers, some download dive data via BT, others via USB. One by either. However, on a dive, or right after a dive, I would only have a chance of downloading via BT. The USB cables are proprietary, so I’m not bringing them on the boat. Many brands have gone to BT connectivity.

What device and app are you using to download dive data. Connection to PC is sometimes flaky. I don’t use a PC. I can connect either with my MacBook or iPhone. I mostly use the iPhone with Subsurface, and have zero issues.

I’m serious, if you want to get rid of your Perdix 2, let me know.
Hello, and thank you for the continued push
1.) Energizer Lithium 1.5V confirmed I am a snob on dives 70F or 19C that is the surface temp I roll with lower than that I need a wetsuit and i hate wetsuits... I am more of the nudist diver swim trunks are the main requirment colder than 68F then it is wetsuit I am not a fan of drysuit diving.
2.) Bluetooth is a non issue Garmin can do BT or Serial and to my surprise Subsurface on Linux handles both with ease. ( shearwater as of today I discovered why I have the comms issue and it is a show stopper for me it is a shearwater issue 100% and I cannot code around it )
3.) Unit used is a Linux station PC purpose built for the Ships .. so Apple or Microsoft os will not be used for security plus also believe it or not stability issues ( we can run more purpose built applications on linux as they were written on Linux so we want to pull data onto that system for review ) it is our workflow...
Whatever shearwater did with the OS level work on win mac ios and droid there is still issues when cross connecting devices over bluetooth.. you can see more of this in the subsurface forums I would pointed to right from linus torvalds own research...
The workarounds are game stoppers for my ability to green light the device for use onboard any place I need to be responsible for diver safety incase of a DCS hit playing tetris with a hockey puck vs offloading the data and then shipping it with the diver... maybe I am built to old fashioned but more data I send the quicker I send it the faster and more effective the treatment.

I will DM you on the perdix 2 and the two AI units I have for it.

Is there something specifically you don’t like about the Perdix Al? Or a feature the Teric has that you’re missing in the Perdix AI. The Teric is every bit of over kill for a rec computer that the Perdix AI is, just in a different form factor. If I were in your shoes I would be inclined to stick withe the Perdix AI. I would also likely not downgrade a computer from the Perdix Al to the Tern. For reference I use the Teric.

The new Garmin’s display does seem much more readable than the MK2i and looks like a great smart watch / dive computer but it and the transmitter are expensive. Speaking of the transmitter, I hate the ticking noise they transmitter makes. I hear it whenever I’m near someone who’s using one. I wouldn’t want to have to listen to that all dive every dive. I’m in my early forties and don’t have particularly good hearing.
Really like the Perdix AI. Pretty easy interface. Very easy to read in the water. Very intuitive. It’s customizable which is nice. It has more features than I need, but sometimes more is better! :)

Nope just quoted facts which shearwater zealots refused to READ ... just like the problem I had when living in hookset NH nobody LISTENS.
1.) dives are on Avg 90 minutes
2.) brightness set to 100%
3.) 2~4 AI units
4.) 2+ gas switches minimum per dive ( Back Running ) Travel ( deco )
What's wrong with Hooksett and NH? I am with you that Shearwater has some product issues but, what wrong with NH? most folks I know and grew up with here will help anyone anytime.

John

Back
Top Bottom