Question Teric versus Perdix 2 for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've decided to go with a Shearwater to upgrade my computer -- mainly for the display and compass features, but I might want to use Air Integration at some point in the future. I have absolutely no interest in cavern/cave/technical diving or CCR -- most I might someday be interested in is very light OC deco diving (for example: might be cool to drop to the deck of The Oriskany at 144 feet for a minute) but that would be less than once a year.

So, I'd appreciate thoughts on whether the Teric or Perdix 2 would be best for me.
  • I'm looking to keep it as simple as possible, don't need or want to play around much with settings. If either has known bugs/glitches I'd like to know about that.
  • I'm not really concerned with the fashion element of it. Are there significant differences in display, function, charging, or use of the compass function (compass is probably my top priority for this computer, so that rules out the Peregrine)?
  • I like night dives, so any specific considerations with the display at night would also be good to know.

Had a Perdix and a Teric. Sold the Teric and kep the Perdix. Intended on using as a daily watch but it's large and heavy. I'm only three apples high so it matters. If you're taller an of larger stature, you probably won't notice it.

Preferred the larger display of the Teric. Primarily dive in cold water and the larger buttons of the Perdix are easier to use with dry-gloves.

At night, the diplay of both units are brilliant! No more squinting to see a dim backlight. I honestly found it easier to use a separate compass as I didn't need to switch to a separate menu and just looked at the compass on my wrist. Have a buddy who has both and prefers his Teric. Going to depend purely on your personal preference as both are very capable, feature rich & easy to operate dive computers.

I find the Teric easier to read with my older eyes(it is the easiest I have seen so far). But the Perdix is fairly easy to read too, and I like the larger buttons and extra info.

Teric gives a nice vibrate alert if you find that useful. My aging eyes see the Teric better. The floating North indicator is great for situational awareness.

Backgriound I have a Teric and was making the same decision a couple years back.

In my opinion, the compass on the Teric is by far the biggest functional discriminator between the two. I use the "floating" compass function where the north indicator and the heading bug (if set) appear continuously around the perimeter of the display and do not displace any of the other configured displays. It allows me to easily orient with a glance.
I prefer the slightly easier 4-button interface. Display is very good in all reasonable conditions.
OTOH, Terics have had battery, compass, and some AI issues. Mine went back for warranty repair for the compass. The compass needs to be calibrated frequently - daily if not before every dive.

I actually prefer the replaceable battery in the Perdixes and the larger display. Shearwater is just now starting to make better use of the display in the Perdix by modal use of the space with NDL, Deco, and Safety stop info in one area in OC Tec, but still keep the full safety stop timer and NDL in the OC Rec mode which is a big waste in my opinion. (Teric OC Rec mode has always used one area for all 3.)

I'm not getting rid of my Teric, but I might someday pick up a Perdix AI/2 for a backup.

I got the Perdix AI first. Great computer very cool but large and the mounting (both bungee shock cord and the straps with buckles) is not comfortable or ideal for me. So I bought a Teric for christmas and it's been great. I definitely prefer the watch style.

Terric, all the way for warm water. I dive it in tech mode, never have used the compass.

I wear it through the airport. It's alarms wake me up in my hotel.

Honestly you can't really go wrong with either one. It will come down to your preferences. Replaceable battery or rechargeable? Watch-style or rectangular? Desire for the floating compass? Button style preferences if any? Those are the features that will sway you one way or the other.

I dive the Perdix AI. I've considered getting a Teric and making my Perdix AI my backup. Some of the issues folks have had with the battery, AI antenna and compass have held me back. I fully trust that Shearwater would repair any issues under warranty, but currently I don't feel like taking the risk of that hassle. For now I'm sticking with my Perdix AI primary and Peregrine backup. But I could change my mind on a whim. I've also been looking at the Perdix 2. We'll see what I'm diving come the end of 2023.

• I'm looking to keep it as simple as possible, don't need or want to play around much with settings. If either has known bugs/glitches I'd like to know about that.
  • I'm not really concerned with the fashion element of it. Are there significant differences in display, function, charging, or use of the compass function (compass is probably my top priority for this computer, so that rules out the Peregrine)?
  • I like night dives, so any specific considerations with the display at night would also be good to know.
When I got my Shearwater, I was going back and forth between a Perdix AI (2 wasn't out yet) and a Teric. At the time, the battery issues on the Teric were coming out, so that gave me a push. My Perdix doesn't have the haptic feedback that the Teric does, but the Perdix 2 has that, so that's currently a wash. Perdix uses a variety of AA size batteries, so even if you find yourself with a dead battery, there's a real good chance you can find a replacement nearby.

Both the Perdix and Teric have compass. I think I like the Teric compass a bit better as you can set it up to display some information around the ring. Using the full compass on the Perdix means losing the information on the bottom row (Rec Display, not positive on Tech Display). For me, this isn't really a big deal as I use a Garmin MK2s as a backup and it has a compass as well.

The Teric display is actually better, though smaller, than the Perdix AI. Though the Perdix 2 has display improvements over the Perdix AI, so this might be a nod in favor of the Perdix 2. Either will work fine for night dives.

For me, it came down to a couple things. The battery concerns on the Teric, the compass not being a driving factor, and not having a desire to wear the Teric as a daily watch (It's too big for me). But, ultimately, either would have been just fine.

Had both, can/could be happy with either but for me the Teric won out, I prefer the rechargeable factor and the screen both the display contrast and the data options customized display.

I don’t use the floating arrow but I do display the heading
0B2B7847-4944-44FA-8CB1-ABE89D821B1F.jpeg

I like the QI charging and charge mine from a back up battery charger
DDAAD139-870C-4487-9B50-4F5A11DA9458.jpeg

I used one as a travel watch until my wife gave me an Apple Watch ,

I sold the Perdix and bought a second Teric.

Back
Top Bottom