Question Teric versus Perdix 2 for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pondering the same decision on Teric vs Perdix. I know I'd prefer the Teric for warm water trips, but I wonder how well the Teric works when wearing a drysuit. Is the Teric strap long enough and elastic enough to be secure on a drysuit sleeve?

Is a backup leash of some sort recommended with a Teric?

The Teric extension works great for a drysuit.

The silicon strap is VERY strong, but if you're worried, it's a simple matter to guard against a broken pin. I elected not to bother with my second unit.
1675881952563.png

1675881977430.png

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. One follow-up question about the compass function of each model (compass is a huge issue for me): there was mention that the Teric compass needed to be calibrated daily or even before each dive -- does the Perdix compass need calibration that often too?

You should calibrate all digital compasses once a day regardless of model or brand. I will generally calibrate first thing in the morning before I get near a boat (because of all the metal).

I don’t think many people do this, but you should also enter the magnetic declination of your destination before you start diving too. I use this website to look up the declination and then enter it into the Teric’s settings.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far. One follow-up question about the compass function of each model (compass is a huge issue for me): there was mention that the Teric compass needed to be calibrated daily or even before each dive -- does the Perdix compass need calibration that often too?
The compass doesn’t necessarily need to be calibrated that often, I rarely do mine, the plus is it’s super easy. By using the QI charging from the battery pack mine doesn’t go out of calibration very often.

Teric gives a nice vibrate alert if you find that useful. My aging eyes see the Teric better. The floating North indicator is great for situational awareness.
Perdix 2 has vibration alerts as well and a much bigger display that is as readable as the Teric - I have both. Overall, I prefer the Perdix 2, but the floating North compass indicator on the Teric is a great feature as well. They are both great computers - the biggest difference is the form factor.

owned both, have a perdix 2, with enhanced glass I could not see a difference in screen clarity. Bug change from older perdix. Has vibration alarm and no battery issues, I do prefer 4 button use, but the would be the only area I think Teric is better

Should I someday need a new dive computer, I may be looking at the same 2 you are. If I were buying now, I'd take close look at the rechargeable vs. non-rechargeable issue, because the pro.s and con.s may matter.

1.) I've never had a flood from swapping batteries in my old Oceanic Worldwide VT3, but find the process nerve-wracking, and I never know if I did it right till I dive with it. Every time I open and reseal the battery case, I risk compromising the seal and causing a flood. With a rechargeable battery computer, like my old Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2, that is not a problem.

2.) But rechargeable batteries can lose capacity over time; there's a decent change you'll eventually need to have that thing replaced, which may involve sending it in and paying a chunk of money. Plus, from what I've seen, rechargeable batteries don't last nearly as many dives as non-rechargeable (and if you've got the lithium battery non-rechargeable option, I assume that really gives long life). So while recharging is easier than a battery swap, it happens far more often.

How many dives does one tend to get out of a battery in a Perdix 2 A.I.? Is swapping the battery a hassle (for the technically disinclined)? If it's not done right and the battery compartment floods, how serious is that?

Should I someday need a new dive computer, I may be looking at the same 2 you are. If I were buying now, I'd take close look at the rechargeable vs. non-rechargeable issue, because the pro.s and con.s may matter.

1.) I've never had a flood from swapping batteries in my old Oceanic Worldwide VT3, but find the process nerve-wracking, and I never know if I did it right till I dive with it. Every time I open and reseal the battery case, I risk compromising the seal and causing a flood. With a rechargeable battery computer, like my old Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2, that is not a problem.

2.) But rechargeable batteries can lose capacity over time; there's a decent change you'll eventually need to have that thing replaced, which may involve sending it in and paying a chunk of money. Plus, from what I've seen, rechargeable batteries don't last nearly as many dives as non-rechargeable (and if you've got the lithium battery non-rechargeable option, I assume that really gives long life). So while recharging is easier than a battery swap, it happens far more often.
Perdix 2 battery change is super easy and battery cover has double o-rings - have never had an issue with leakage (had Perdix AI for a few years before that).

How many dives does one tend to get out of a battery in a Perdix 2 A.I.? Is swapping the battery a hassle (for the technically disinclined)? If it's not done right and the battery compartment floods, how serious is that?
You get less dives from the Perdix 2 than the Perdix AI due to the vibration function and not being able to use a Saft battery (vibration alerts require use of Energizer Ultimate Lithium). I did 33 hour + dives on my Raja Ampat trip plus Bluetooth downloads of all dives - on the last few dives, the “fuel gauge” turned yellow, but I did not get a low battery warning - so I’d guess you could get at least 40-45 sixty minute dives which is in line with Shearwater’s spec (I also have brightness on HIGH for daytime dives and LOW for night dives).

82DC6FEC-B6DA-40C5-A1BE-9481AF7F5E4F.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom