Question Teric versus Perdix 2 for Recreational Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm… that’s what I said.

No, not really. That's not what you said. Re-read your post.

Regardless, just wanted to make it clear that the haptics are optional. IF you turn them on, than yes, battery life would be less. That makes perfect sense and I'm glad you can confirm that. But the haptics don't mean the Perdix 2 by default has shorter battery life given that they can be turned off.

No, not really. That's not what you said. Re-read your post.

Regardless, just wanted to make it clear that the haptics are optional. IF you turn them on, than yes, battery life would be less. That makes perfect sense and I'm glad you can confirm that. But the haptics don't mean the Perdix 2 by default has shorter battery life given that they can be turned off.

As highlighted below, I very clearly stated that the reason for less dives was due to the vibration function (and also indicated that the vibration function precludes use of the higher capacity Saft battery). I then also included a screen shot that shows what functions are available based on the battery type used - I assumed most folks could make the connection that vibration alerts are therefore optional (just as both vibration and audible alerts are optional on the Teric as well)..

You get less dives from the Perdix 2 than the Perdix AI due to the vibration function and not being able to use a Saft battery (vibration alerts require use of Energizer Ultimate Lithium). I did 33 hour + dives on my Raja Ampat trip plus Bluetooth downloads of all dives - on the last few dives, the “fuel gauge” turned yellow, but I did not get a low battery warning - so I’d guess you could get at least 40-45 sixty minute dives which is in line with Shearwater’s spec (I also have brightness on HIGH for daytime dives and LOW for night dives).

View attachment 768569

As highlighted below, I very clearly stated that the reason for less dives was due to the vibration function (and also indicated that the vibration function precludes use of the higher capacity Saft battery). I then also included a screen shot that shows what functions are available based on the battery type used - I assumed most folks could make the connection that vibration alerts are therefore optional (just as both vibration and audible alerts are optional on the Teric as well)..

As you pointed out, your very clear post required an assumption to be made about the haptic alarms. But I honestly don't really care. I simply wanted to make sure it was clear that the haptics are optional on the Perdix 2. The OP is not a Shearwater owner, and they could come away with an incorrect conclusion about the Perdix 2 battery life. I was just trying to help them avoid that.

Thanks guys, I get it about the haptics on the Perdix 2. Any other details about the compass functions? I understand the Teric has the floating north icon, which seems nice. Someone mentioned that with the Perdix you lose a line of data when using the compass -- what data is it that is lost? Can you still see NDL time, overall dive time, safety stop time, etc. while using the compass on the Perdix 2?

The bottom row of three is replaced by the compass

i forgot to post this pic on drysuit with compass setting rather than floating arrow
CA20F511-6373-4163-A90B-23D9124E9D02.jpeg

Thanks guys, I get it about the haptics on the Perdix 2. Any other details about the compass functions? I understand the Teric has the floating north icon, which seems nice. Someone mentioned that with the Perdix you lose a line of data when using the compass -- what data is it that is lost? Can you still see NDL time, overall dive time, safety stop time, etc. while using the compass on the Perdix 2?
NDL, Overall dive time, safety stop, etc. will still be displayed.

In the Rec layout, the bottom row is mostly user defined, and consists of 3 fields. 2 are configurable and can be one standard data fields, or 3 mini data fields. The gas mix is the non configurable field. In my case, using the compass would hide the following on my main dive screen: Gas mix, Tank Pressure, SurfGF, Time to Surface, and Gas Time Remaining.

There is also the option to display a mini-compass in one of the 2 fields. This mini-compass doesn't allow setting heading marks, reciprocals, etc. But could be useful if you are just using for cardinal directions.

The only setting I change on my teric is the gas mix... I don't know how much more simple it can get

Just a word about the floating ring compass on the Teric and why I REALLY like it compared to the compass card or numerical degree type display ...

Most of the time, have no need to be following any particular coarse so I don't really care if I am at XXX heading. But in some circumstances, I do want to be able to orient myself roughly. (eg: On Blackbeard's, dives were typically, "Pool's open. Be back in about an hour..." and we would go off exploring on our own with frequently no walls or current defining direction. In Cozumel OTOH wall/current give continual orientation.) At a glance, I can look down and see "oh, North is that-a-way" without having to even think, as opposed to "compass shows 147, that means ... that is SEish ... so north is ... thereish." It allows me to continually cross-correlate geography and direction. If I'm smart, I turn back to the boat at the limit of visual range and set a bug, from then on I have a "boat is in roughly that direction" pointer.

Has anyone a picture of this Terec compass feature?

Back
Top Bottom