How do you feel about guaranteed to pass IE programs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania

Diving Polymath
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
On a large pile of smokin' A'a, the most isolated
# of dives
5000 - ∞
This thread started in the marketplace and that was against the TOS, so let's continue it here.

Thalassamania:
This thread started in the marketplace and that was against the TOS, so let's continue it here.

Well, you have to remember that those programs and the GUARANTEED TO PASS statements are marketing statements. It certainly does not mean that they have some influence that will automatically pass you when you attend their program. What it means is if you don't pass the PADI IE, they will provide additional training or let you repeat the IDC at no charge. If they are really trying to drag in the business, they may even pay your IE fee on your second attempt. As anyone knows, EVERY PADI instructor must pass an IE, given by a PADI professional examiner, prior to getting the instructor cert. There is NO way around that. Never has been and probably never will be.

Don't make more of the marketing text than is necessary. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

If that means if you pay your money, you will pass - I don't think it says a lot for the integrity of their program.

Steve50:
If that means if you pay your money, you will pass - I don't think it says a lot for the integrity of their program.

Hey Steve. I didn't follow that thread and I know nothing about the organization that is providing the service.

I am betting it means you will EVENTUALLY pass, if you don't give up no matter how long it takes, but I don't think it means that you are guaranteed to pass the first time out. If it is a PADI program, there is no instructor development center that can guarantee that.

When you look at it another way, I think it is pretty nice of them to make this offer. If you attend their IDC and don't pass the IE, they will let you attend again (and again) for nothing. That is pretty good guarantee.

Phil Ellis

Aquanauts Pattaya:
…

PADI IE's are conducted in a standardized fashion by the best course directors in the world (emphasis mine) and are under constant review by PADI. CDs with students on the IE have continual input into the process. Our 2 CDs for example, continually send feedback to PADI AP's offices following each IE and PADi is very responsive to constructive criticism. …
I thing that there are more than a few CDs out there who would take exception to these unnamed and unknown CDs laying claim to the tile of “Best Course Director in the World.” Frankly anyone making that claim in public is, to me at least, a laughing stock that I can not take seriously.

I think Phil like yogi is smarter than the average bear.

So a company comes on the board and sticks it neck out to seperate itself from competitors and gives you a guarantee that you will eventually pass and everyone brings out their sticks to continue beating the PADI horse.

Write a letter to PADI not a flame to an IDC on scubaboard.

Listen I get it, you don't like teaching standards, you don't like LDS, and you don't like unfair trade practices by manufacturers. I get it I really do. But time to let it go, as much as you hate it you cannot change it.

Man from what I've seen there is a "push" to turn almost anyone into an Instructor. I think you have to be into it enough to warrant "getting pushed", but it does seem rushed to me. There are many shops where instructors don't actually "dive". Pools and quarries, instruction only. Is that diving? I remember my first "pitch" at getting into the business. I was told it's like Am*** but you don't have to hide the gear to get people in. Kinda turned me off to it.

As others have stated with lots of agencies examination is done by an external examiner so no centre can make it unfairly easy to pass. All they can do is prepare you for it.

I only know how a padi IDC works (bsac totally different but not related here), if you fail you end up paying a part fee for the bits you need to resit. A fixed price IDC guaranteed pass would just mean you wouldn't have to pay these for any resits as they'd already be in the price of the IDC itself or factored into it. You need to work out if the price of these "guaranteed pass" is higher than an IDC cost with 2 maybe 3 resits.
If you do keep needing to resit you need to ask yourself if you are good enough/have whats needed to teach diving anyway.

There is no "pay and pass", its "pay and heave repeated chances to pass"

PhilEllis:
Hey Steve. I didn't follow that thread and I know nothing about the organization that is providing the service.

I am betting it means you will EVENTUALLY pass, if you don't give up no matter how long it takes, but I don't think it means that you are guaranteed to pass the first time out. If it is a PADI program, there is no instructor development center that can guarantee that.

When you look at it another way, I think it is pretty nice of them to make this offer. If you attend their IDC and don't pass the IE, they will let you attend again (and again) for nothing. That is pretty good guarantee.

Phil Ellis

I just read the original thread

Looks like the guarantee is only for a second chance, which is fine.

RiverRat:
Man from what I've seen there is a "push" to turn almost anyone into an Instructor. I think you have to be into it enough to warrant "getting pushed", but it does seem rushed to me. There are many shops where instructors don't actually "dive". Pools and quarries, instruction only. Is that diving? I remember my first "pitch" at getting into the business. I was told it's like Am*** but you don't have to hide the gear to get people in. Kinda turned me off to it.
The more instructors that are trained, and the lower their actual abilities, the more control the shop has and the less the instructor get paid.

First standards were dropped (below what entry level divers had to do in the old days), then the age was dropped to 18, and now you really don't even have to be able to outline a course, organize a lecture, identify objectives or deliver a lecture. So what are you really still an Instructor? And what are you now worth? Maybe $12.00 an hour, if your lucky. If you don't like it there are hordes of equally "qualified" individuals lined up to take your job ... none of whom will last more than two to three years in the industry.

Would you permit your loved ones to learn to dive this way? I would not.

Back
Top Bottom