Question New to scuba diving, is it a bad instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP has started an identical thread in FB with identical responses. Kinda parallel universe. Not sure she if she was expecting a different response.

I think that with the exception of JohnDiver, the overwhelming sentiment on both forums seems to be “report the guy” and repeat the course. Everything else is dogpiling at this time.

It's a different person, not me. Can you share me the thread? Thank you. I only wrote the same thing on Reddit because at the beginning I was note sure where to post my experience.

It's a different person, not me. Can you share me the thread? Thank you. I only wrote the same thing on Reddit because at the beginning I was note sure where to post my experience.
Sorry. It’s on Reddit.

You should post it on Tripadvisor. Under his shop name.

Sorry. It’s on Reddit.

You should post it on Tripadvisor. Under his shop name.

Ahh yes that is me. I will think about the TripAdvisor comment. Still figuring out the steps to carefully expose him. PADI as been in touch with me. Thanks everyone for your comments!

PADI as been in touch with me.
Good to hear. Hopefully, they do the right thing. If you hear of any action taken that you can share, please do.

I'm sorry that this was your first exposure to Scuba diving. Should not be like this at all. As a father to two daughters that also dive, I don't even want to consider my actions toward this instructor if they had been in your fins.

OP has started an identical thread in FB with identical responses. Kinda parallel universe. Not sure she if she was expecting a different response.

I think that with the exception of JohnDiver, the overwhelming sentiment on both forums seems to be “report the guy” and repeat the course. Everything else is dogpiling at this time.
Op is educating the public about a public danger to young women and our daughters too.

Does any man here who golfs ever recall another man helping them learn golf like this? But it is a stock image online for men to help women learn by snuggling up to them.

Attachments

• IMG_4071.jpeg
    IMG_4071.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 28
Any man learn to shoot a gun while another man was snoogling up behind them? This is shutterstock, not some rare instance.

Attachments

• IMG_4072.jpeg
    IMG_4072.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 31
Any man learn to shoot a gun while another man was snoogling up behind them? This is shutterstock, not some rare instance.

I do some firearms instruction, and it can be very hands on. My hands most typically are on the shooter's hands (as shown in that stock photo), and on the shooter's shoulder/back as required, (some new shooters have a tendency to let the recoil drive their hands up, and they lean back when they need to lean forward a bit).

In order to help new shooters, you NEED to be close to the firearm they're using, your voice is your first response to anything they're doing incorrectly, but you need to be able to control the direction of the muzzle of the firearm - and that requires proximity.

I taught half a dozen young people how to shoot semi-auto rifles and pistols two weeks ago, and I literally had hands on all of them at one point or another. I'm VERY careful where my hands go, but I was well inside their personal space.

So, while I don't disagree with your overall point - which is that of instructors invading their students space inappropriately - that's not a very good example.

Best regards.

Op is educating the public about a public danger to young women and our daughters too.
Obviously this is nothing unique to scuba. What we need to teach our youth (and yes this is probably a uniquely female problem) is not only how to recognize inappropriate behavior but also how to respond when this happens. I think the OP had difficulty with both aspects of this encounter.

I personally have difficulty with responses that only encourage punishment for the offender and do not recognize the need for the “victim” to gain better insight to such situations and how to mitigate the situation and risk. I think this is exactly what @happy-diver was trying to convey. It is not victim blaming but victim empowerment.

Does any man here who golfs ever recall another man helping them learn golf like this? But it is a stock image online for men to help women learn by snuggling up to them.
That's a very good point. It's definitely fishy. I taught guitar years ago, but I don't recall ever teaching this chord position.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpeg
    IMG_0473.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 27
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom