If you were to redo the scuba industry how would you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you were to throw out the current structure of the entire scuba industry and re-do it, how would you do it?

Here’s what I would do as a start:

You go to a dive school of your choice. That could be a current agency like PADI, NAUI, SSI, or others. Either an established school or a private certified instructor. You can supplement your training and knowledge with written materials, books, etc. mentors, but you would need a signed training sheet filled out by a certified instructor/instructing agency to get to the next step.
When your skills are good are you are ready, you go to a separate certification agency that is for certification only and you go for your test. There is a pool portion, a written portion, and an open water portion. You book your appointment.
The testing is on a pass or fail basis and there is no cheating. Either you can do the skills and pass the exam or you don’t. And of course there is a fee for the cert test.
The employees of the cert agency are not affiliated with any if the scuba schools, the cert agency is completely independent.
In this environment, the teaching of scuba and the certification would be separated.
This would create the opposite effect of what we have now of the easiest least path of resistance effect. It would create a culture of quality to be sure that students would be able to pass the exams set by the cert agency. Those schools/instructors with crappy teaching and rounding corners would soon be gone because they wouldn’t be training people adequately enough to pass the tests. Their Yelp reviews would suck and nobody would go there.

There was another thread in which a lot of corruption was mentioned within agencies with the idea that it’s the fox guarding the hen house. Having one agency teach AND certify students with no real outside oversight leads to a lot of poor training and a cattle drive of student certifications. I agree with this, I think this does lead to corruption and poorly trained students and the only oversee’er at this point is the legal system in the form of law suits when someone dies or gets maimed, after the fact.
If the industry was broken up and the final certification was issued by a non affiliated agency it would introduce a check and balance system which I think this industry desperately needs.

Discuss.

I like it. I remarked in a thread recently that I can't think of many other endeavors in which the same person who trains you then evaluates you for a certification without which you would not be allowed to participate in the endeavor.

I like the idea of a separate certification body. We need discussion, however.
So, let me be the devils advocate and propose an opposing idea:
There shall be no certifications. If you screw it up you die. Pick your instructor.
Too many certs, too little diving.

I like it as well.

As the certification is a check on the training, this could also help to identify the good instructors/shops from the bad. A good instructor should have a high pass rate of students. Currently, that metric wouldn't work as the test is not independent, so can easily be manipulated.

Let me be the devils advocate and propose an opposing idea:

- There shall be no certifications. If you screw it up you die. Pick your instructor.
I realize that "re-doing the scuba industry" requires making some assumptions--and is a silly exercise of imagination in the first place--but this would require the blessing of insurance companies and maybe others outside of the scuba industry.

I like the idea of a separate certification body. We need discussion, however.
Agreed. And now for my sarcasm....
So, let me be the devils advocate and propose an opposing idea:
There shall be no certifications. If you screw it up you die. Pick your instructor.
Too many certs, too little diving.
But then who does my family sue for my own stupidity? I mean, I shouldn't be held accountable for my own actions. That's ridiculous! </sarcasm>

I like it. I remarked in a thread recently that I can't think of many other endeavors in which the same person who trains you then evaluates you for a certification without which you would not be allowed to participate in the endeavor.
Drivers licenses and DMV come to mind.
Can you imagine what it would be like on the streets and the freeway if getting a drivers license could be done the way the current scuba certification system is set up!
It’s bad enough as it is!

I realize that "re-doing the scuba industry" requires making some assumptions--and is a silly exercise of imagination in the first place--but this would require the blessing of insurance companies and maybe others outside of the scuba industry.
Insurance companies are not a problem as long as training is non-commercial mentoring in a membership based society. There is no duty of care then (may vary from legislation to legislation). This would obviously turn an industry into a hobby, and many would loose their income. Not quite optimal. Legislators might have their say also.

Anyone happen to know how it works in skydiving? I tried looking it up.

Agreed. And now for my sarcasm....

But then who does my family sue for my own stupidity? I mean, I shouldn't be held accountable for my own actions. That's ridiculous! </sarcasm>
Hey, it could be made a law that a deceased diver automatically sues everybody at a 10 mile radius :D
Isn't it like that already?

Back
Top Bottom