Blue Hole March 14th~15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Don,

Thanks for your concern but I'm quite sure that I want to make the trip. I have read about blue hole and it seems like such a wonderful place to dive, I'm really looking forward to experiencing it with such a great group of divers. That would be great if Stella has tanks for rent, would keep me from having to bring them. Please let me know what you hear for sure about that.

Stella definitely has tanks to rent--that was not Don's question as I understood it. I think he was only concerned if he was right about the pricing. I am certain (as he is) that her price is $5 for a fill ($10 for doubles, regardless of size). The question is whether or not there is an additional fee for renting a tank as well. It has been 4-5 years since I had any interest in renting a tank there, and if my memory serves me correctly, I paid an additional buck (up to a whopping $6) for it.

I am pretty sure that if those prices hold true, it will not have a dramatic impact on your decision making. I don't know any place in the world that can match those prices (other than filling your own).

Thanks John. Glad to hear that she will have tanks, your right that is an incredible deal!

I don't think she was even charging the extra buck last time. Just BYO O-rings and use usual cautions about checking tanks. I usually tip her an extra $1 a tank for fun. Her compressor is electric, and altho old - seems to work well aside from the one accident she had breaking blades once a couple of years ago.

My one concern is that sweetheart Stella is a one person operation, and while seemingly the most dependable such weekend business I have known - just need to phone her to make sure she is indeed planning to be there okay. I'll call her, unless someone else has already spoke with her...??

Hey Don,

Thanks for your concern but I'm quite sure that I want to make the trip. I have read about blue hole and it seems like such a wonderful place to dive, I'm really looking forward to experiencing it with such a great group of divers. That would be great if Stella has tanks for rent, would keep me from having to bring them. Please let me know what you hear for sure about that.

Bring some tanks! You can generally count on Stella for weekend rentals/fills. However weekdays are dicey, and I assume you will want to do some diving on Friday.

I generally bring two tanks, and then just rent from Stella on Saturday/Sunday. I will contact her, and make sure she will be there. I won't do so until the week of the trip. Her charge is $5 per full tank, so a heck of a good deal. I will also ask about the possiblity of her showing up Friday evening for some rentals. I know mine are empty, and in need of a vis, so I will have to borrow a tank on Friday evening, or rent from Stella. she also does incredible deals on Vis renewal. I think it was $5 a tank when Tom got his done, and that is about 25% of what most shops charge.

RU looking to split a room?

I think at least one other guy from Amarillo will be joining us for the weekend.... I'm trying to get another. They are both ga ga over diving... It will mostly depend on their work and other commitments though. :)

Ok, I think I have my Coz trip pushed back to the 26th, and I need to test dive some things before - so I am now 90% in - yay!

Bring some tanks! You can generally count on Stella for weekend rentals/fills. However weekdays are dicey, and I assume you will want to do some diving on Friday.

I generally bring two tanks, and then just rent from Stella on Saturday/Sunday. I will contact her, and make sure she will be there. I won't do so until the week of the trip. Her charge is $5 per full tank, so a heck of a good deal. I will also ask about the possiblity of her showing up Friday evening for some rentals. I know mine are empty, and in need of a vis, so I will have to borrow a tank on Friday evening, or rent from Stella. she also does incredible deals on Vis renewal. I think it was $5 a tank when Tom got his done, and that is about 25% of what most shops charge.

RU looking to split a room?

Cool. I'll definitely bring a couple of tanks with me. I will definitely want to do some diving Friday. Stella really does have great prices. I would definitely like to split a room, let me know the details on that.

This is off topic but I was just curious if most divers at BH dive dry?

Cool. I'll definitely bring a couple of tanks with me. I will definitely want to do some diving Friday. Stella really does have great prices. I would definitely like to split a room, let me know the details on that.

There will be a mix of wet and dry divers. Myself, ron, abqdiver, and others dive dry. I'm pretty sure that don dives wet and I'm sure we will have a tent with a space heater available if the weather doesn't cooperate that weekend. So getting warmed up between dives shouldn't be a problem. :) If you're going to dive wet, bring a 7mm and a hood.

There will probly be a few dry suit divers, but most of us don't want to be out that kind of money and extended care. The students are always diving wet, and I have seen one guy divie in a shorty. :silly: It's 62F water, not 50F - and I dive wetsuit down to 50 in California and Seattle waters: 7 mil jump suit over a 1 mil, with heavy beanie (don't like hoods), heavy gloves, heavy boots, warm water poured inside before and after, etc. I take an insulated, 3 gallon bucket of warm water with a plastic quart jar and a funnel; come over for a warm water insert anytime.

Also bring a waterproof hooded jacket and a cap to protect from wet hair wind chill on SIs, drink only warm liquids from an insulated jug, etc. Even tho the water is not all that cold, SI chilling can impede off-gassing of Nitrogen. If you dive an altitude adjusted computer, it won't allow for your personal body chill so make sure you're in the green before leaving your SS.

I'd say a qualified No, most divers do not dive dry. That is, if you consider that most divers there are students, who are using the dive shops' rental gear, they dive wet. But, those of us who dive Blue Hole on a some what frequent basis (4-5 weekend trips a year) are switching over to dry suits. I know three of the group of around 10 or so of us switched to dry suits last year (TJack, BigBubbaJ, and myself), and Robin just re-introduced herself to dry diving this year after diving wet for several years. Seven-mil, with a hood, (that fits) is adequate for the 63* water. The cold part is when you come out, and it's close to freezing or snowing and the wind is blowing. You just about have to get out of the wet suit, and get dry to get warm. Then you have to put on that cold, wet, wetsuit for subsequent dives. If it isn't really cold outside, you can just leave the wetsuit on, layer a coat or two with a hat, and be fine for the next dive. I didn't buy my dry suit for Blue Hole diving. I bought it for high (can cold) mountain lake diving. I'm sure others will have their opinions.

Sorry I can't make it in March, but I'm going to Bonaire later that week, and too lazy to switch my gear over to dry diving and back, since it's still pretty much still packed from the trip to Bonaire last month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom