Blue Hole March 14th~15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, it's a sticky. No wonder I missed it. :eyebrow:

Sounds fun. I really need to get to Coz before then, which will cramp my ability to do both - but if my Coz trip gets pushed back, sure....!!
My wife and I would love to go and dive AGAIN at the Blue Hole, but even in March, it could still and most likely be very cold outside. I just can't see jumping in our car with a wetsuit on just to keep warm.

Where do you plan to stay warm? As we all know that the new dive center will not be complete by then.
High desert weather is very variable but March is often pretty nice there. Even today their high is forecast for 61F, and I recall one March gathering there where I didn't get cold until I did Perch. Eh, I'm older now. I suppose I could bring my catalytic heater and tent?
I think weather may determine if we come both days or just one. It is too far out to say exactly. There are grills there, right? We've never used them but we will bring meat for the grill plus a salad or something (chicken or burgers?)....... I know it is much easier for us since we are only a 2 hour drive.
So maybe some of the CO crew can bring plates, napkins, cutlery, cups, litre bottles sodas both reg and diet, mustard and ketchup,.... :D Maybe about a week out we can start a sign-up list for each day.

robin:D
One of the best meals I've ever had in Santa Rosa was last trip from the SB grilled lunch. :D Start the list further out than a week tho.

There is a very good chance I will be in the area and can try to make sure to come (and possibly bring others) if I have a definite time to shoot for. We are not actually planning to dive the BH, but we could make adjustments.

Right now our plans are to come down late Thursday and dive nearby on Fri-Sat-Sun. We usually pop by the BH for some air on Saturday and then again on the late morning on Sunday. We then will try to do a dive on Sunday after we get filled. (This past weekend we got there too late on Sunday, and the place was deserted--no Stella and no gas.)

Those plans can be changed for a good reason, but I would need to have a firm idea of what is happening and when.

By the way, it was colder than you might think from the weather report this past weekend. On Friday there was a pretty stiff breeze that kept us in parkas and wool hats while on the surface. Saturday morning started cloudy, and when we spashed for our first dive, there was ice on the steps. It cleared up soon after that, but it was never what I would call warm. (More parkas and wool hats.) On Sunday we slept in and got a late start, and people who were up early told us it was 17 degrees when they got there. When we were there, it actually felt warm, but when we got out of the water later it felt chilly again.

I was really hoping to go down for this trip to meet some of you, but I am uh... well ..er....uh scheduled for a procedure..... ( vasectomy) on March 12th . Any of you guys with first hand experience think I could dive by the 14th. ouch!

I was really hoping to go down for this trip to meet some of you, but I am uh... well ..er....uh scheduled for a procedure..... ( vasectomy) on March 12th . Any of you guys with first hand experience think I could dive by the 14th. ouch!
Sorry, but it's been 20+ years since I had mine. I had no problems, but it's not something you want to risk messing up. It was a simple office procedure even then tho; reschedule it and dive fertile. :D I don't think you'll impregnate anyone that weekend.

Honestly, DAN doesn't seem to have anything on that, but here is a thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/272743-vasectomy.html

Sorry, but it's been 20+ years since I had mine. I had no problems, but it's not something you want to risk messing up. It was a simple office procedure even then tho; reschedule it and dive fertile. :D I don't think you'll impregnate anyone that weekend.

Honestly, DAN doesn't seem to have anything on that, but here is a thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/272743-vasectomy.html

If I reschedule it their is the possibility my wife may perform the surgery while I am sleeping.

I would not dive theweekend following the procedure, or anything else that might change the pressure or strain on the area. See that link for more discussion, but reschedule it sooner. :wink:

My plan for this weekend is two grab a couple of tanks and head to BH from Austin on the 12th. I was curious if there were any dive shops or places to rent tanks near BH. I've never been to New mexico or BH before so I'm not very familiar with the area, but am really looking forward to being there . I know things are probably in the planning stages but please let me know what supplies/food etc. I could bring with me on the trip.

My plan for this weekend is two grab a couple of tanks and head to BH from Austin on the 12th. I was curious if there were any dive shops or places to rent tanks near BH. I've never been to New mexico or BH before so I'm not very familiar with the area, but am really looking forward to being there . I know things are probably in the planning stages but please let me know what supplies/food etc. I could bring with me on the trip.
Hey there, glad to see you're interested. You have pretty good diving around Austin, including an excellent volunteer program at Spring Lake, San Marcos. I think I can speak for all concerned saying you're certainly welcome to this dive-in, but since you are looking at 1200 miles round-trip - I don't want this to be a disappointment for you. Is there some other reason for you to make this trip other than semi-advanced dive experience with a bunch of great SB dive buds in 62 degree spring fed volcano vent to 84 ft - adjusting for altitude, coldish water = 110 ft adjusted, with some overhang, etc? My bud & I did it when we were brand new, but we screwed up a few things in our 400 miles round-trip. I want yours to be better.

You should be able to obtain 80s & fills from Stella there @ $5 a tank, no extra charge for tanks, why bring yours? We'll confirm that for all tho.

At 35c/mile total cost of driving counting gas, mileage, wear & tear, etc = $400+ real costs plus a couple of long hard drives, or you can fly to Cozumel for $413 that weekend, $291 a week later after the spring break kids are out of the way. Are you sure about this? I enjoy these gatherings, but if I had to choose from Austin - I'd find out which SBers are going to be in Coz.

Want to be helpful but honest here... :eyebrow:

Hey Don,

Thanks for your concern but I'm quite sure that I want to make the trip. I have read about blue hole and it seems like such a wonderful place to dive, I'm really looking forward to experiencing it with such a great group of divers. That would be great if Stella has tanks for rent, would keep me from having to bring them. Please let me know what you hear for sure about that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom