2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10/20 Finally made it back into the gym

Chest/shoulders/tri - 45 minute workout - maxed out on 2-3 exercises & 8-12 reps per body part

10/21 Swimming laps off/on for 1.5hours.

Wondering what exercises help built body strength for heavy tanks? Hack squats - maybe shrugs? Any suggestions?

Sarita - have fun diving warm water in Hawaii :)

Wondering what exercises help built body strength for heavy tanks? Hack squats - maybe shrugs? Any suggestions?

My non-professional thoughts are along the lines of:

Deadlifts, Front Squats and other variations, Deadlift High Pulls (gives you that shrug component).... with perhaps the last being the most directly transferable... assuming you are talking about Double Cylinders.

Thursday 10/22 - Nice C25K jog with my best friend. Did a .70 mile warm up and then jogged-walked, most jogging though. Did a total run/walk of 2.4 miles, plus the warm up. Pretty nice actually.

Looking forward to Hawaii and some warm water. Leave tomorrow! woot!

My non-professional thoughts are along the lines of:
Deadlifts, Front Squats and other variations, Deadlift High Pulls (gives you that shrug component).... with perhaps the last being the most directly transferable... assuming you are talking about Double Cylinders.

Thanks! I assumed you may have a bit of experience. I rarely use dynamic motion with free weights but the deadlift high pulls look interesting, the other suggestions look good too. Probably best to start the specific training sooner than later.

Double Steel Cylinders - it's hard to fathom my instructors coaxing - but it does seem to be the logical progression before too long & I did just order my second set of regs today :D.

Looking forward to Hawaii and some warm water. Leave tomorrow! woot!

Sarita have a great time & enjoy the warm water!!! I'll hold down our local fort with 5 dives planned in Monterey for this weekend :). I hope you can make the next M&G it would be great to see you again.

Cut some calories last few days & waiting for the energy adjustment. A bit lazy today - just took a 30 minute walk but also finally sorted my mtn bike peddles out! Put new Shimano peddles on my Specalized - so much easier to get in/out. No more death traps!

Last edited:
10/20 Finally made it back into the gym

Chest/shoulders/tri - 45 minute workout - maxed out on 2-3 exercises & 8-12 reps per body part

10/21 Swimming laps off/on for 1.5hours.

Hang Pulls and Hang Cleans, to develop the power to lift & load your doubles/heavy tanks into your car/truck.

Lindy Hop Swing Dancing for core endurance, plyometrics, coordination --but mostly just plain fun :D !

Hang Pulls and Hang Cleans, to develop the power to lift & load your doubles/heavy tanks into your car/truck.

Lindy Hop Swing Dancing for core endurance, plyometrics, coordination --but mostly just plain fun :D !

What Kev mentions on the Hang Pulls and Hang Cleans has merit from a power component, but if you're not used to dynamic movements of free weights/barbells, then these may be too advanced without some coaching. I'm speaking about the proper set of the lower lumbar, bootimus maximus, and upper back curvature. You don't want to be wrenching your back or causing blown discs. This is why my thoughts were more toward the slow movements. It's rare that you need to "jerk" tanks off the ground.

Again... your mileage may vary... and I'm not a professional... but Penny and I train Olympic weightlifting (Clean & Jerk, Snatch) twice a week under the watchful eye of a USAW certified coach that has won the State of Ohio team meets a few times. That doesn't mean my advice is worth a tinker's dam, but we hear his coaching points regarding our back posture and development all the time. (...and we've still got a long way to go...)

I would defer to someone like Coach Izzy here on the board that is also a USAW weightlifting coach with athletes at the National and International level.

I apologize for turning this into an essay... but you only have one back... and the recovery time takes away from the diving or other fun activities you might be involved with. Exercise should enhance your physicality and quality of life, not take away from it... lol... Somewhere in the middle of everyone's advice is a path that's right for you... you'll figure it out. :)

What Kev mentions on the Hang Pulls and Hang Cleans has merit from a power component, but if you're not used to dynamic movements of free weights/barbells, then these may be too advanced without some coaching. I'm speaking about the proper set of the lower lumbar, bootimus maximus, and upper back curvature. You don't want to be wrenching your back or causing blown discs. This is why my thoughts were more toward the slow movements. It's rare that you need to "jerk" tanks off the ground.<snip>
On the contrary, with double tanks --and especially the large steel twinsets-- a "hang-clean" lift technique using the tank valves as handles (never the isolation valve crossbar tube!!!), is one of your prime movers: whether loading them in your car/truck (especially if you have a pick-up/SUV with a high liftover angle & height); or on the diveboat to lift the entire doubles & BP/wings & gear setup on a bench to slip into the harness & mount-up on your back; or bringing them to the diveshop to get fills & service. AL80 doubles and larger steels are just too oblong and awkward to handle with proper back and body mechanics from a hack squat position, IMHO. . . with a hang clean holding onto the tank valves, your quads, glutes, calfs and the final explosive shoulder shrug from the traps will move that twinset more effectively.

For the tech diving ladies with doubles, the best tools are a hand truck or dolly to manually transport them, and a dive buddy to help you lift and get into them. . .

Hey guys - I really appreciate all the great advice:). I guess I should clarify a few things. I did train with a nationals level bodybuilder many years ago and took my own walk in our regional world for a little while so do know quite good/effective static weight lifting technique am in pretty good shape - and can most likely figure out good form for dynamic motion from the online clips. Also did the intense rock climbing thing for many many years, it's been a while but my finger tendons are still pretty strong.

I had little problem grabbing the valve of my friends full rig with one hand, resting it on my thigh while slipping a few fingers under the band for moving the tanks from one vehicle to another last week. So for now, short distance transport does not seem to be a major problem although more strength could help. (especially for lifting the rig up to higher tables)

I do think it would be smart to build the shoulders/legs for moving the rig in/out of the water without back/shoulder strain or instability when walking on uneven surfaces/boat decks in swells. As even the single steel rig/cold water wts feel a little heavy on my shoulders/back when I am walking around topside.

K

What Kev mentions on the Hang Pulls and Hang Cleans has merit from a power component, but if you're not used to dynamic movements of free weights/barbells, then these may be too advanced without some coaching. I'm speaking about the proper set of the lower lumbar, bootimus maximus, and upper back curvature. You don't want to be wrenching your back or causing blown discs. This is why my thoughts were more toward the slow movements. It's rare that you need to "jerk" tanks off the ground.

Again... your mileage may vary... and I'm not a professional... but Penny and I train Olympic weightlifting (Clean & Jerk, Snatch) twice a week under the watchful eye of a USAW certified coach that has won the State of Ohio team meets a few times. That doesn't mean my advice is worth a tinker's dam, but we hear his coaching points regarding our back posture and development all the time. (...and we've still got a long way to go...)

I would defer to someone like Coach Izzy here on the board that is also a USAW weightlifting coach with athletes at the National and International level.

I apologize for turning this into an essay... but you only have one back... and the recovery time takes away from the diving or other fun activities you might be involved with. Exercise should enhance your physicality and quality of life, not take away from it... lol... Somewhere in the middle of everyone's advice is a path that's right for you... you'll figure it out. :)

On the contrary, with double tanks --and especially the large steel twinsets-- a "hang-clean" lift technique using the tank valves as handles (never the isolation valve crossbar tube!!!), is one of your prime movers: whether loading them in your car/truck (especially if you have a pick-up/SUV with a high liftover angle & height); or on the diveboat to lift the entire doubles & BP/wings & gear setup on a bench to slip into the harness & mount-up on your back; or bringing them to the diveshop to get fills & service. AL80 doubles and larger steels are just too oblong and awkward to handle with proper back and body mechanics from a hack squat position, IMHO. . . with a hang clean holding onto the tank valves, your quads, glutes, calfs and the final explosive shoulder shrug from the traps will move that twinset more effectively.

For the tech diving ladies with doubles, the best tools are a hand truck or dolly to manually transport them, and a dive buddy to help you lift and get into them. . .

Interesting..... I've over 700 dives in steel double 104's and never once had to "explosively" lift them like a clean.... however to each their own... but why would you juxtapose with an example of a "hack squat"... I doubt anyone would suggest lifting a tank using body mechanics for a lift behind their back???

While Kathydee's background is unique, I'd still be reticent to recommend explosive moments for lifting tanks.... or perhaps someone could just one-handed Kettlebell clean the doubles.... lol

Kidding aside.... another easy way to lift heavy steel tanks.... go into a deep squat like for a snatch or clean grip deadlift, tipping the doubles over onto one cylinder (example: angled onto the right cylinder) with one hand under the bottom of the left cylinder that is elevated and the other arm wrapped around the top of the right cylinder (neck of right cylinder is quasi-cradled in the crook of your right arm). Stand up. This is one technique I've seen people use that lacked the upper body strength to lift them using a "deadlift high pull" motion I suggested earlier. I use it some if I'm tired.

I have another way that I like to lift steel doubles, but I'm not sure I can describe it right now... well... I don't have the time... maybe later. :)

Interesting..... I've over 700 dives in steel double 104's and never once had to "explosively" lift them like a clean.... however to each their own... but why would you juxtapose with an example of a "hack squat"... I doubt anyone would suggest lifting a tank using body mechanics for a lift behind their back???

<snip>
Kidding aside.... another easy way to lift heavy steel tanks.... go into a deep squat like for a snatch or clean grip deadlift, tipping the doubles over onto one cylinder (example: angled onto the right cylinder) with one hand under the bottom of the left cylinder that is elevated and the other arm wrapped around the top of the right cylinder (neck of right cylinder is quasi-cradled in the crook of your right arm). Stand up. This is one technique I've seen people use that lacked the upper body strength to lift them using a "deadlift high pull" motion I suggested earlier. I use it some if I'm tired.

I have another way that I like to lift steel doubles, but I'm not sure I can describe it right now... well... I don't have the time... maybe later. :)
I was mistaken for describing the hack squat --I think I meant the front squat instead . . .I just can't use proper front squat mechanics with the "tip & cradle" method on big steel doubles.

The "tip & cradle" lift technique for my double 104's produces too much static torque on my whole back: It's too heavily awkward & oblong and I cannot bring the mass close enough to my body's center-of-mass/center-of-gravity to solely utilize the driving power of my legs to stand up (I'm only 5'-6"/160lbs; 170cm/70kg). My Ford Explorer has a relatively high liftover height for my stature, so my best technique to is to hang clean/hang pull the load, left & right hands gripping the tank valves with the twinset upright, power it up & over the bumper and into the cargo area --keeping my head up; back straight; quarter eagle football stance; lift and accelerate with the quads/gluts ("shoot your hips up & out" as my strength coach at UCLA used to say) and finally explode up and over using the calves & trapezius muscle shrug of your shoulders.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom