2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My heel was kinda brused from the class last weekend so took it easy on the kicking this weekend. But it was a great dive weekend anyway!

10/17 One 60 minute 75ft deep shore dive - 50F steel tanks but not much exercise as I was towed behind a scooter :)

A fun 70 min night dive that seemed aerobic w/non-stop kicking

10/18 Another 60+ minute dive down to 75 ft on the scooter - great vis!

10/19 lazy

Sounds lovely WB. I would love to see some of her images, if she is willing to share with strangers.

Tuesday 10/20 - Elliptical (31 minutes, 2.45 miles and approximately 375 calories. 142 ARH).

Sounds lovely WB. I would love to see some of her images, if she is willing to share with strangers.

Tuesday 10/20 - Elliptical (31 minutes, 2.45 miles and approximately 375 calories. 142 ARH).

Oh... we share with strangers all the time! :rofl3:
:popcorn:

She's still processing her pics... has limited time... but here's the ones I put on Facebook.... I think this link will let you see my album there.

Halls Creek Wood Preserve

Went to Olympic Lifting without warming up first… bad move… started straining my knees…. gave up… spent time on a recumbent bike… and went back at… much better…. too old to NOT warmup at home prior to the gym…. need lots of time… now I’m feeling like spending time on the bike just spinning…

Club:
Snatch Balance
Snatch Drop
Overhead Squat
Good Morning

Barbell Row (emphasis on tight back)

Romanian Deadlift

After Dinner…. Cycling at Home to Workout DVD:
Warmup 15 minutes
Race Pace 10 minutes (blew up after 10 minutes)
Cooldown for 7 minutes

Total Time: 32 minutes; 7.74 miles; 14.5mph ave; 28mph max

Sorry to hear that your lack of warmup was prohibitive to your 1st go at working out. I find I can't really do anything until I have warmed up at least 7 minutes. Sounds weird, but that seems to be my magic number.

Wednesday 10/21 - Elliptical (33 minutes, 2.51 miles and approximately 370 calories. 141AHR). I have been having a particularly stressful week so I am trying to be very conscientious about making sure that I am working out to help with mgmt of the stress. I am sure that it is doing its part, but I am definitely looking forward to Friday when my husband and I head to Hawaii for a long weekend. Realllllllyyyyy looking forward to warm(er) water and doing some jogging there!!

I got carried away and just started typing... LOL:

Dropped the Jeep off for service at the dealership and rode my Touring bike home (Surly Long Haul Trucker). I had mapped out some relatively easy routes to keep me off the high traffic roads. However, there was one spot that was unavoidable, and quite possibly, one of the highest traffic spots in my neck of the woods, and one that I hate to go in a vehicle. For those in the know, it’s the intersection of Mason-Montgomery and Fields-Ertel Roads, right where many suburbanites get off and on Interstate 71 for their commutes into Cincinnati. I now have a better understanding why the Regional Bike Consortium (OKI) has these roads marked red (not recommended) and a big red dot at this intersection.

I did chose a way through that was right hand turns though, and wisely, I chose to wait until near the end of rush hour to ride home. Even so, it was quite intense and adrenaline packed. In fact, just getting through the one high traffic choke point left me so stoked with adrenaline, that I threw out my original “lower traffic” route and just rode all the way down Mason-Montgomery. Actually, it was a combination of “I forgot” and “how bad can it be from here… I’m through the worst of it”…. or it could have been that semi-truck that was barreling down on me near I-71 that kept me intensely pedaling for all it’s worth. Seemed like every time I looked down I was over 20 mph and 100rpm cadence.

It was a bit surprising to me that I could consistently out-accelerate cars from a stop at a red light…. on my steel bike, no less! My other “take-away”… I’m much more confident about “taking” the lane at a stop light or stop sign (there were many opportunities for practice!)

So… 8 miles; 30 minutes; 28mph max; 16mph average.

What’s slightly embarrassing is that this was better than what I did on my road bike last night sitting on the trainer watching a Race DVD… LOL

I hope I get Green “karma” points for this! A few more trips like this and casual cross-country touring on low traffic roads will be a cinch by comparison.

This was also a good opportunity to test a couple of new accessories. My new Sunlite Trunk bag is a nice intermediate step between a seat bag and a pannier, mounting on the top of my rear rack. It has two small rollup integrated panniers and 5 compartments built into it. All I needed to store in it today was my bike tools/supplies, tennis shoes, fingerless gloves, and use the top bungee to hold a fleece vest.

My other goodies were a new flashing front and rear light. I was glad I had the Cannondale bright rear flashing LED (Hindsite Plus). One of the blink choices is a chaotic pattern that grabs your attention. For the front light (Topeak LED), I actually clamped it onto my front fork, just below my brake. I used this as a white flasher to grab the attention of oncoming traffic or those that might try to turn in front of me from a side rode.

Great morning for a ride! It was crisp in the upper 30’s/lower 40’s, so I layered accordingly: Unpadded cycling shorts, unpadded cycling tights, workout sweats (loose enough to not bind my knees and not too tight to get in the chain); long sleeve wool cycling shirt, Cycling windbreaker, and full fingered gloves. I thought I was dressed a bit light on top (so I packed a sleeveless vest), but my wool shirt was drenched when I got home.
Now don’t forget to “Share the Road”!!

Thanks WB for the information about cities with lower stress rates and the correlating fitness. Very cool and good to know. I think part of my problem is that my old car (1988 volvo) burned up on Monday - literally. It was a kind of scary event for me as I was driving it in traffic at the time. Yeah, what a way to start a Monday. :)

Very cool about your ride home. I get adrenline boosts alot when I ride the motorcycle. I think it helps keep you sharp when you are in dangerous situations, to be quite honest. I wish that there was a way for me to commute on my bike to and from work, but I have a big mountain between my house and job. Would be a challenging.

Dang... sorry to hear about your car!! Hope you find a suitable and inexpensive replacement!

Wed Evening:
Penny and I did a 5 Round, 10 Minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible)

We included exercises that we’ve been neglecting this summer with all the Oly Lifting and Cycling.

5 each per round
Pullups (Penny black band, Bob chinups with green band)
Shoulder Press (Penny 25#, Bob 45#)
Situps (Penny situp pad, Bob GHD)
Dips (Penny parallettes, Bob rings)
GHD Back Extensions

Penny did 6 rounds (30 reps) of everything except Back Extensions (25 reps)
Bob did 7 rounds (35 reps) of everything.

Back
Top Bottom