2009 SB Fitness Exercise Challenge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spent the evening trying out different trainers and rollers at the bike shop. Fluid trainer, Super Magneto Trainer, steel rollers, fixed spinner cycles. Got lots of high cadence and high intensity riding in. Even got the 2nd highest wattage reading on a spinner hooked up with a power meter.
Didn’t expect such a good workout from a bike shop visit!

Awesome! Congrats. I am curious what your thoughts on the trainers/rollers were. Did you end up buying one?

Awesome! Congrats. I am curious what your thoughts on the trainers/rollers were. Did you end up buying one?

I have rollers at home already, and they are great for building balance, but you have to be totally focused on what you're doing, or you'll go down.

I bought a Cyclops Super Pro Magneto trainer. It was incredibly smooth with 4 different resistance settings. It was even smoother than the highly lauded fluid trainers. Haven't set my bike up on it yet though.

First night back to the Cincinnati Weightlifting Club since my MTB crash in early September. It was almost like starting over…. not quite… but almost.

Focused first part on hip and ankle flexibility. Leg swings, Lunges, Squat stretches, stretch bands.

From behind the neck: Snatch Balance, Snatch Drop, then 3 Overhead Squats (OHS)

Snatch bar Shrugs with the bar deep in the pocket, then Hang Snatches from the pocket

Just did a 40 minutes workout on the elicpijh-blah machine thingie, and I did that on Saturday while waiting for my ears to clear.

In the mean time, did some heavy weight training and got my new 750gram drysuit undergarment and studied my TDI tech book. Now I'm ready to finish the class with Phil Sammet.

On Friday, went by and visited the owner of the Beach hopper 2 and helped them with yard work so that fullfilled my outdoor activity besides feeding Sadie, their chocolate lab dog with vietnamese bread. *sigh* pretty much 4 days of being anti-social until I get back on the Beach hopper 2 again.

Now all I need to do is save up at least $4,000 more for a 2 week vacation in Fiji on the Aggressor and plane ticket. Already got my ticket for a month and a half in Vietnam of nothing but 90 degrees of pure hot water diving. Kinda tired of drysuit diving all year even though Scapa Flow is probably my best diving to date.

EDIT: Has anybody seen almitywife anymore? I haven't seen her for such a long time. Already miss her too. :depressed:

EDIT#2: And good job on that class Kathy, if I wasn't taking the technical class with Phil this year, I sure would have join in doing that class.

I bought a Cyclops Super Pro Magneto trainer. It was incredibly smooth with 4 different resistance settings. It was even smoother than the highly lauded fluid trainers. Haven't set my bike up on it yet though.

Tipping over doesn't sound like a fun option for me. Let me know how you get on with the Cyclops. We don't have snow and such in SF so I might try to get through the season between the gym and sunny days on the bikes outside, but we'll have to see.

Tuesday 10/13 - Too rainy, cold and windy to bother going to the gym. Slept in instead. Seems like we might get an early snowboarding season this year. The extend of my exercise was wrestling the rain soaked ceiling tiles in our office... Fun times.

Wednesday 10/14 - Swimming Laps (60 minutes) - 1 mile and unsure of the calories spent. Fun! :D

Sarita... got my "go fast" bike set up on the Cyclops. The first difference that I really see between the trainer and the rollers is the focus of the workout. On the rollers, you have to stay attentive to your balance and position on the rollers... not tough, mind you, but lapses can send you off the side... (ask me how I know)... On the trainer, I could hit the cadence and/or power with greater ferocity than the rollers... and could just zone out while I was warming up and cooling down... not a luxury I had on the rollers. The rollers are much better for developing dynamic stability though.

I've been cycling all season, but today's workout on the trainer was much more intense on my quads than I recalled any other ride being (perhaps related to yesterday's Oly weightlifting too)

Sarita... got my "go fast" bike set up on the Cyclops. The first difference that I really see between the trainer and the rollers is the focus of the workout. On the rollers, you have to stay attentive to your balance and position on the rollers... not tough, mind you, but lapses can send you off the side... (ask me how I know)... On the trainer, I could hit the cadence and/or power with greater ferocity than the rollers... and could just zone out while I was warming up and cooling down... not a luxury I had on the rollers. The rollers are much better for developing dynamic stability though.

I've been cycling all season, but today's workout on the trainer was much more intense on my quads than I recalled any other ride being (perhaps related to yesterday's Oly weightlifting too)

Good to know. I think I would like to try one in the future, but will try to see how I get on this season without it .... Working for a nonprofit doesn't leave much 'spending' money at the end of the day. :)

Good to know. I think I would like to try one in the future, but will try to see how I get on this season without it .... Working for a nonprofit doesn't leave much 'spending' money at the end of the day. :)

Roger that!! Like you said, you have temperate enough weather that you can tough it out, or even ride in the rain if properly attired. That's an option that I would prefer to have as well!

Roger that!! Like you said, you have temperate enough weather that you can tough it out, or even ride in the rain if properly attired. That's an option that I would prefer to have as well!

Yeah, I am not so much a fan of riding in the rain - on a bike or on my motorcycle. It might be refreshing in your neck of the woods during a warm summer, but we get some really cold rains over here in CA. Brrr. Straight off the ocean .... brr. Getting cold just thinking about it. :)

Don't know if you could call this an exercise, but I walked up and down the stairway at Lone Mountain for 30 minutes. My right arm hurts though after the flu shot. Don't know why, but it does.

Back
Top Bottom