"Women's" BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not impressed either with the name of the collection or some of the wording/implication in the press release. It appears patronizing IMHO. There is a huge difference between the concept of gear fitting women properly and the perceived need to look beautiful and "fashionable" while diving. If the pieces have function and style, that's great - for women and men. You could state these concepts in a more up-to-date way. :wink:

I wasn't able to find the collection on the Mares website, although the pics in the press release look stylin'. :wink: Could you please provide us with a link? Thanks.

I can't say that I care for the name either. It just sounds weird to me.
On the positive side, the BC looks like it has metal D rings instead of the cheap plastic ones common to the "female" BCs I've seen.

I use Zeagle Ranger LTD, it fits me well and i am a female. I hate those women's BC style as they don't fit me well.

Ayisha:
I'm not impressed either with the name of the collection or some of the wording/implication in the press release. It appears patronizing IMHO. There is a huge difference between the concept of gear fitting women properly and the perceived need to look beautiful and "fashionable" while diving. If the pieces have function and style, that's great - for women and men. You could state these concepts in a more up-to-date way. :wink:

I wasn't able to find the collection on the Mares website, although the pics in the press release look stylin'. :wink: Could you please provide us with a link? Thanks.

Ayisha,

The line is now being shown to dealers. It will start to ship in small quantities by end of November and then to all stores by Feb. Our web site is being redone and will launch by end of Dec., all the new products will be on it.

It does have metal D-rings, there are many features and function built into the BC. It has many adjustable features that will make it a comfortable fit for many. The name of the BC is Kaila

We are in no way trying to be patronizing, it is a fact that this collection was designed and styled by women divers who are also designers. It is meant to be fully functional (of course this comes first), but with style.

Thanks again,

Phil

I agree that the name seems condesending. How about Amphitrite or Dolphin? Amphitrite was the wife of Poseidon (Neptune). Dolphin is a mental image familiar and positive to females.

While it may not be the most original name in the book, I certainly don't consider "SHE DIVES" to be condescending or a put down to women in anyway. I think that it is great that a dive equipment company is starting to recognize the needs of women and is trying to meet those needs. IMO there are not enough women specific products out there and, having a definite female body, I appreciate when they are produced.

On a side note, I am not ashamed to admit that being "fashionable" is important to me if it does not affect function. We spend a lot of time on these threads discussing hair issues, nails and body hair removal so I don't think I am alone in the desire to look as good as I can so long as it does not sacrifice my enjoyment of or the integrity of the activity that I am participating in...

While some seasoned diver may see it as condescending or hokey I bet it will play very well to the new diver who is a bit aprehensive about the whole dive gear selection issue. It says "this will work for YOU".

Damselfish:
She Dives? Not that names should matter, but that name is a turnoff, to me anyway. Would you call a line "He Dives?"
If Mares named a line "He Dives" I would not feel slighted, nor would I object. But I'll bet someone would... :wink:
Rick

Phil Mintz:
We are in no way trying to be patronizing,
Well, I ran all this by the Lovely Young Kat... she says "looks good to me." She likes the fact that y'all are making a women's line. I asked her if she felt any of the naming/advertising were "patronizing" and she looked at me like I had two heads. She said "no, accomodating."
She said some other stuff too, but I'd get in trouble if I posted it.
Rick :)

All,

I appreciate all the feedback on both sides, it is very valuable and one of the reasons I am here. I understand that some will like and some will not like a name, it is easy to pick on many product names, but most important is performance.

As a note, emphasis is important. SHE DIVES is not a question, it is a statement of fact: SHE DIVES!

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom