Novice diver, tried Backplate and wing and looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dangerous bungee wing issue relates to days long past where an enormous wing had bungees going over the wing. These bungees could trap air where one doesn't want it and could be an entrapment issue.

The HOG wing has bungees on the plate side of the wing and are not exposed for entrapment issues and do not trap air.

Regardless, I have had the HOG 32 pound wing for about 4 years. The bungees are easily removed and you don't need to have them on the wing if you prefer not to.

I took the bungees off but I don't have a strong opinion whether they should be left on or taken off.

As someone else said on a wing that small the taco effect is very small.

That's really good to know. You happy with the HOG? Any quirks to be aware of? Any reason you took the bungee off?

That's really good to know. You happy with the HOG? Any quirks to be aware of? Any reason you took the bungee off?
Very happy. I like the websites videos about how to set up the gear. I suspect the DGX is also good but have never tried any other BPW. I took the shoulder padding off which is easy to do and I didn't need it. In your first few years of owning a BPW one is moving D rings around and utility pockets and weight pockets and such.

You can also move the wing to 3 positions on the plate to alter buoyancy distribution. I am foot heavy and moved the wing to the lower position shifting the buoyancy down which helped my trim as well as putting the weights in the upper cam band weight pockets. Just an example of what you can do to dial in a BPW.

It is a very customizable system and you can adjust it to fit just you.

If you look at my Avatar you will see the wing. Also a 19 cu Pony.

Back
Top Bottom