Novice diver, tried Backplate and wing and looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The STA adds some weight, but I have found that I prefer to run the cam bands directly through my backplate. I like how the tank sits closer to my body and the tank, particularly a steel tank, feels more stable. If traveling weight is a concern, not having an STA reduces that weight in your luggage. If you go without an STA, you'll remove the cam bands when you pack. Just practice threading the cam bands a couple of times, especially the part about running them through the buckles properly. Pretty easy once you get it, but it's not super intuitive at first.

Edit: There's lots of great input on here and you may feel as if now you have too much info and seriously don't know what to do. The great thing about a BP&W set up is that it's modular. You can make adjustments, additions, and subtractions quite easily even between dives.
Appreciate that. Going back and forth on the STA a bit. Neither DGX or HOG says it's necessary because the bands can go through their plate but say it's recommended especially if diving bigger tanks. My next dive won't be until March so I'm thinking get it without the STA jump in a pool and test it out and add one if I feel some instability.

Why not get a hog soft plate, and an aluminum plate? To have both and switch a wing between them would run you an extra $200ish. . .

Everything that Edge-Hog has can be ordered ala carte. It's a backplate and wing system (soft plate, sort of), so it's modular. You'd be looking at 650ish - 820ish depending on what you wanted for two systems with a 32lb wing.

If you're just looking at a dgx style setup, you're at about $375ish. . .
Was actually thinking about that....

Appreciate that. Going back and forth on the STA a bit. Neither DGX or HOG says it's necessary because the bands can go through their plate but say it's recommended especially if diving bigger tanks. My next dive won't be until March so I'm thinking get it without the STA jump in a pool and test it out and add one if I feel some instability.
I don't use an STA. I have not noticed any instability with HP100 or HP120 tanks. It's more the opposite problem with a full HP120. It's so negative that it feels like it wants to turtle you (flip you onto your back) if you roll even slightly. You get used to it pretty quickly, but the farther away it is from your back, the harder it will be to balance.

I also don't bolt the wing, nor do I unthread the cam belts and remove the wing for travel. Since it's not bolted on, when packing I can put clothes between the wing and plate to make sure the wing is padded on all sides.

Again I use a steel plate everywhere. It's nice not having to deal with weight belts for warm water diving. I still need a few pounds of lead with an AL80 and a couple with an HP100, but it goes into trim pockets on my waist band.

With my setup, I do need a weight belt with a 7mm or drysuit, but I think that's a feature, not a bug, because it makes the rig easier to handle above water and if you ever need to remove your rig under water you'll be much happier if some of your weight stays on you.

The extra 5 pounds or so of a steel plate in my luggage don't really matter to me. I check 1 bag when going on a dive trip anyway. I'm not willing to make the compromise on fins and every other piece of gear to fit into a carry on.

Very helpful as to STA especially since I do dive with bigger tanks. I'll give the SS another look. Don't anticipate taking it apart when traveling as I can fit it in my roller carry on assembled along with regs, mask, and boots. We'll see if the wetsuit fits once I buy one. I strap in the fins on the outside and throw clothes in a backpack.

Very helpful as to STA especially since I do dive with bigger tanks. I'll give the SS another look. Don't anticipate taking it apart when traveling as I can fit it in my roller carry on assembled along with regs, mask, and boots. We'll see if the wetsuit fits once I buy one. I strap in the fins on the outside and throw clothes in a backpack.
How do you do the fins? I can't see many airlines letting you carry on fins strapped to the outside of anything, but I might be picturing it wrong.

FWIW, I carry my regs, lights (these are compact rec lights, not the big technical canister lights), dive computer, chargers and prescription mask in my backpack (aka "personal item") just in case the main bag is delayed.

How do you do the fins? I can't see many airlines letting you carry on fins strapped to the outside of anything, but I might be picturing it wrong.

FWIW, I carry my regs, lights (these are compact rec lights, not the big technical canister lights), dive computer, chargers and prescription mask in my backpack (aka "personal item") just in case the main bag is delayed.
Cressi Piper 22 inch roller and with straps on the outside. No problems flying to Roatan and FL so far. Have only flown on AA wit them not sure about other airlines.

My current fins are just a little over 23in. About to upgrade to either Avanti Quatro + or Oceanic Manta Rays which are both longer from what I've read so we'll see how those play out.

ABLAB:
Cressi Piper 22 inch roller and with straps on the outside. No problems flying to Roatan and FL so far. Have only flown on AA wit them not sure about other airlines.
Looks like a nice bag. So you use the built-in straps to hold your fins to the front of the case? I'm a little surprised you can get away with that, but the US carriers are pretty lax about carry-ons. I wouldn't expect it to work in Europe or Asia though. I managed to get my gear, including fins, into a carry on from SIngapore to Thailand once but I used a duffel bag which I was just able to squish into the sizer they used to check everyone's bag.
cressi_piper.jpg

Yeah, much more strict in Europe. I figure, aside from a couole cross the globe trips, almost all of my diving is gonna be in the Carribean and US so hopefully strapping the fins won't be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom