Novice diver, tried Backplate and wing and looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would get a aluminum backplate for a travel set up and use weight pockets or a weight belt, it's always a good idea to have some ditch-able weight.
I recommend the Sub Gravity Paragon single tank package. You get a choice of 5 backplates, 4 wing sizes, 2 harness styles, 3 weight pocket sizes. Their wings do not require a single tank adapter.
I have their 3mm aluminum backplate, 26 lb wing, adjustable harness and drop down small weight pockets for my travel BP/W. I love their adjustable harness, it's clean, simple and no plastic parts.

Not sure a smaller wing and aluminum plate would be enough lift with 16 to 18 pounds additional weight? I do NOT dive steel, and mostly warm water where a 3 mil would be more than enough. Though the difference in the steel and aluminum plate may just be 5 pounds
You can "make" a heavy plate out of an aluminum one. Add a pocket to each cam band. On opposing sides right next to the plate. You can then tailor the plate to your needs. A 5lb pocket will hold anything from a 2lb weight to a 5lb. The 2 lb weight of the plate with a two in each pocket now gives you a 6lb plate and will feel the same as the steel. If you are diving a 7 mil add 3s or 4s to the pockets. This will allow you to only have to put a few pounds on each side of your waist.
I recommend a MAKO rubber freediving belt with a 5lb pocket on each side. Mount the pocket upside down so that you could drop a weight quickly without having to ditch the entire belt.
In an emergency, if you do have to ditch the belt and lose it, MAKO will replace the belt and lead at their expense. Just provide a written explanation of the event.
Dano is awesome to work with.

And forget about the small wing. Unless you are racing underwater, a 30-32 lb wing will have enough lift for any single cylinder set up, give you a little more lift should you have to assist another diver, and there won't be any increase in drag.
The small wing thing is a non-issue and I built over 100 backplate and wing setups for people during the 12 years I was selling gear. Only 3 of those used a 23lb wing and those were for specific needs.
And one of those ended up buying a 32 a couple months later and sold the small one.
A wing like the 32lb HOG bungee wing will have less drag than some smaller wings because when it's deflated the bungee snugs it up without increasing the effort to inflate it.
I tried smaller wings several times and never felt like they gave me the lift I wanted.

You can "make" a heavy plate out of an aluminum one. Add a pocket to each cam band. On opposing sides right next to the plate. You can then tailor the plate to your needs. A 5lb pocket will hold anything from a 2lb weight to a 5lb. The 2 lb weight of the plate with a two in each pocket now gives you a 6lb plate and will feel the same as the steel. If you are diving a 7 mil add 3s or 4s to the pockets. This will allow you to only have to put a few pounds on each side of your waist.
I recommend a MAKO rubber freediving belt with a 5lb pocket on each side. Mount the pocket upside down so that you could drop a weight quickly without having to ditch the entire belt.
In an emergency, if you do have to ditch the belt and lose it, MAKO will replace the belt and lead at their expense. Just provide a written explanation of the event.
Dano is awesome to work with.

And forget about the small wing. Unless you are racing underwater, a 30-32 lb wing will have enough lift for any single cylinder set up, give you a little more lift should you have to assist another diver, and there won't be any increase in drag.
The small wing thing is a non-issue and I built over 100 backplate and wing setups for people during the 12 years I was selling gear. Only 3 of those used a 23lb wing and those were for specific needs.
And one of those ended up buying a 32 a couple months later and sold the small one.
A wing like the 32lb HOG bungee wing will have less drag than some smaller wings because when it's deflated the bungee snugs it up without increasing the effort to inflate it.
I tried smaller wings several times and never felt like they gave me the lift I wanted.

Jim, this is super helpful and your comments, along with others, definitely helps me think outside the box.

BP/W and BC's last a long time. If the Hollis was comfortable to you, it's okay to use that. If there seems to be too much "branding" on the BP/W just remember the point is to get underwater as much as possible and then the badges/color/brand are of no importance, but the comfort and fit are paramount.

My local shop sells Hollis and to support that store I may buy one soon.
If the Hollis is too expensive, the I've been impressed by the cost/quality of the Diver's Gear Express BP/W

Congrats on deciding to get a BP&W! I travel for all of my diving and use an aluminum backplate and travel wing that has 25 lbs lift. I like how these components travel/pack in a suitcase. I added a pair of small weight pouches that allow me to ditch weights to the waistbelt for when I dive an AL80. I have used this configuration for a single HP100 and HP117 with zero issues. When I dive a dry suit (which I am just recently learning to do), I need more than the small weight pouches and trim pockets I can add to the cam bands are intended for.

There's lots of nice gear out there and some good BP&W packages, too. DRIS and DGX are two very good resources. For reference, I use:
HOG Aluminum backplate
Dive Rite EXP Travel Wing
HOG Quick Drop Weight Pouches (available in small or large depending on how much weight you want to be able to add)

Most backplates seem to have three holes at the top and a slot at the bottom to accommodate virtually any wing and allows for multiple placements of the wing. However, not all have this. I recommend a BP&W combo that allows the greatest amount of adjustment. It is nice to be able to make adjustments and dial in the configuration, which may change based on the tank you are diving. It's so easy to move things around, even between dives, that you can really get your rig just right with a BP&W.

Lots of good advice here and good luck with your purchase.

My 2 cents, prefer a SS plate. Adding/messing with weights on cam bands can be a pain, top heavy, doesn't fit in tank racks, etc. That said, I use them in certain types of dives. Get the dive rite with velcro, take them on/off easily as needed.

100% agree with DanG, the hog quick drop pockets on the waist, they live on my rig. I do dive steel, they make great accessory pockets in the summer! I just wouldn't want to use a weight belt when you can easily customize with trim pockets.

I have 30# wings, bought used here, plenty of lift. Would buy DGX if going new, hands down. Have fun!!

@joalemma I have a Hollis ST35 wing with an OMS SS plate, works great for cold water! Just a note, though, that the Hollis ST wings don't always fit other plates with the fixed cam band slots.

Case in point: I recently bought a lighter short plate from Dive Rite for warm water travel, and had to use an STA to attach to the Hollis wing. Something to consider when shopping for your bp/w setup, if you wanted flexibility in your configuration :)

(I'm petite 5' 4" and am loving the shorter plate setup as opposed to the regular length).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom