Novice diver, tried Backplate and wing and looking for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For @joalemma, your idea of getting in the pool first is a good one. Great way to suss out new gear. My understanding of the original use/purpose of an STA was so that people who dive doubles a lot, can more easily switch over to a single tank set up without needing to disassemble their rig. You can just pop on the STA with cam straps already threaded and are ready to go. Having used a variety of tank types with and without an STA, I find that running the cam straps directly through my backplate keeps the tank more stable as others have mentioned.

As far as disassembling the gear, as others have pointed out, it's not needed and my set up fits in my luggage without taking it all apart. I do that because I like how it all fits in my bag better when it's taken apart. The wing folds up smaller than a hoodie. It takes me less than 10 mins to assemble once at my destination.

Seems going w/o the STA is the way to go based on most people's experiences. Thanks for that.

On separate note, as I was reading up on wings came across videos and articles about disadvantages and possible dangers of bungee wings. I see how air entrapment and entanglement in tight spaces like wrecks can be a concern with bigger wings but wandering what people think about a 32 lb bungeed wing? I will be diving wrecks.

It’s hard to see the need for bungees on a wing that small.

It’s hard to see the need for bungees on a wing that small.
Some wings like those made (and NLA) for VDH have an internal bungee that goes around the perimeter inside and collapses the wing down to nothing. No taco at all. Or like OxyCheq the Mach V wings are sewn in such a pattern that they hold their streamlined shape, inflated or deflated, and do not taco.

I really prefer the Oxy wings to the VDH (because of trim differences underwater) but as I write this I am rigging up my VDH 18 to an Oxy soft plate and see how it does for me vs my Oxy 18 on Oxy soft plate. Instead of splitting my trim weight pockets to the top and bottom cam bands I may need to put both pockets on the top band if I can.

Seems most don't come with it but Im leaning toward getting the HOG system because all assembled it fits in my budget and seems to good quality and well made. The HOG 32 lb is bungeed although it's somewhat minimal and not like some of the backinflates or the old school bungeed wings. DGX assembly doesn't come with backpad and inflator hose and once you add those it goes beyond my current budget.
Some wings like those made (and NLA) for VDH have an internal bungee that goes around the perimeter inside and collapses the wing down to nothing. No taco at all. Or like OxyCheq the Mach V wings are sewn in such a pattern that they hold their streamlined shape, inflated or deflated, and do not taco.

I really prefer the Oxy wings to the VDH (because of trim differences underwater) but as I write this I am rigging up my VDH 18 to an Oxy soft plate and see how it does for me vs my Oxy 18 on Oxy soft plate. Instead of splitting my trim weight pockets to the top and bottom cam bands I may need to put both pockets on the top band if I can.
Seems most don't come bungeed. Im leaning toward getting the HOG system because all assembled its in my budget and seems to be good quality and well made. The HOG 32 lb is bungeed although it's somewhat minimal and not like some of the backinflates or the old school bungeed wings. Obviously, if the bungee is a likely safety issue then I'll have to reassess my budget.

Seems most don't come with it but Im leaning toward getting the HOG system because all assembled it fits in my budget and seems to good quality and well made. The HOG 32 lb is bungeed although it's somewhat minimal and not like some of the backinflates or the old school bungeed wings. DGX assembly doesn't come with backpad and inflator hose and once you add those it goes beyond my current budget.

Seems most don't come bungeed. Im leaning toward getting the HOG system because all assembled its in my budget and seems to be good quality and well made. The HOG 32 lb is bungeed although it's somewhat minimal and not like some of the backinflates or the old school bungeed wings. Obviously, if the bungee is a likely safety issue then I'll have to reassess my budget.
I do not like the external bungees either. There is the DGX 30 pounds lift wing which is a copy of the Oxy Mach V 30. No bungees and nicely priced.

I do not like the external bungees either. There is the DGX 30 pounds lift wing which is a copy of the Oxy Mach V 30. No bungees and nicely priced.
Actually pricing out the assembly as we speak. Looks like it's a winner.

I don't see the need for a backpad (or shoulder pads for that matter) l and I often dive in just a t-shirt or even no shirt.

But I've only used single tank plates (DSS and Freedom Plate) that are somewhat contoured to your back. Maybe it makes sense with a standard doubles plate?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom