why should I need to buy a new reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtis2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why should I need to buy a new reg?
I got hold of a conshelf SE2 (probably 15 years old) with one second stage still attached to it. I read with interest an old post about oldest working regs and since the conshelf is described as a bullet-proof antique I was wondering what (other than compulsive shopping) would drive me to buy anything else as I am a newly qualified OW diver! It would be interesting to know why, you, old veterans, are making those apeks and mares companies richer while buying new shinny (or nicely matted) piece of equipment.

thanks for your always appreciated feedback.

There's no good reason to get a new reg if your 15 year old conshelf is working well. I don't think I have any regs quite that new.

i dive with a poseidon cyclon that's at least 20 years old, and have absolutely no problems with. i've also made apeks richer though.

Walter:
There's no good reason to get a new reg.

That is exactly the answer pleasing my wife! I guess the money will go somewhere else!
thaks for those very quick replies!

If it's serviced annually and working well, your Conshelf is great for now.

When you have about 50-75 dives, take one of the new, medium range regs for a test dive, then decide. By then you'll have enough experience to make a good decision...I'm betting you'll want a new one.

All the best, James

If your reg works, is safe as determined by a qualified technician and breathes in a way you are satisfied with, I don't see why you'd upgrade them.

My regs are the oldest piece of equipment I have, but the last thing I'd want to replace. They keep on trucking, and I keep taking good care of them.

My newest regulator is around seven years old, and I have three different regs (sold two sets on ebay last year because five was to many to get serviced)...I bought my Son and Wife new regulators this year and last. I may have to sell another one of my older regs because they wanted newer ones.

You need a new reg
1. If parts are no longer available
2. Your current reg does not meet and cannot be upgraded for new requirements (DIR, cold water, deeper diving, Nitrox, etc)
3. To keep up with the Joneses
4. If your name is Jones, disregard reason 3

Don't see a need to buy a new reg if you get it serviced. My wife took the Conshelf my dad gave me (probably about 30 years old) and she loves it for her octo, breaths almost as good as her Scubapro. Now I have to look for another one so I can get that one back. :D

rmannix:
You need a new reg
1. If parts are no longer available
2. Your current reg does not meet and cannot be upgraded for new requirements (DIR, cold water, deeper diving, Nitrox, etc)
3. To keep up with the Joneses
4. If your name is Jones, disregard reason 3

That Nitrox aspect could be very important, but so could having an adjustable second stage or enough ports.

My first regulator was a Conshelf and as soon as I tried a poseidon cyclon, the Conshelf became a backup.

If you cannot tell the difference or the difference does not mean anything (as in money), then stay with what you have. I like shiny toys, so have tended to buy new stuff, just see how things have changed. If you can afford it, and have all the other things you want, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom