Cost-Benefit Analysis of Fixing Up an Old Conshelf vs Just Buying a New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@James79 @ofg-1 Y'all're definitely selling me on the idea. My dive season's getting close to wrapping up for the year. I'll probably worry about this sometime over the winter, but I like the idea. My plan, currently, is try and use the conshelf as my "primary" reg, and use my new, store bought and service Tusa rig on the pony bottle so that I have the reliable reg on my failsafe.

Additional question: I got a Mares 12 with the same lot of gear. I was told it was too old to service, but I figured I'd get another opinion. Anyone know if you can self service the Mares 12 (with 1 Hp port) anymore?

Yes. The Mares MR 12 first stage can be self serviced, with design very similar to the Conshelf.

@Kupu Do you recommend a source for service kits?

@Kupu Thanks! Now I have two old regulators to learn how to fix lol.

Additional question: I got a Mares 12 with the same lot of gear. I was told it was too old to service, but I figured I'd get another opinion. Anyone know if you can self service the Mares 12 (with 1 Hp port) anymore?
It's not too old to service. All service parts are still available. However, on a very early MR12 like yours, the volcano orifice is not replaceable. That isn't normally a problem, but if it won't properly seal because of a scratch or nick in the orifice you may be out of luck.

I say "may" because @rsingler has demonstrated that with some patience, a magnifier, micromesh cloth and the eraser end of a pencil, it's possible to polish out some imperfections. The shop obviously wouldn't want to take this on at a flat rate service charge and it wouldn't make financial sense to have it done at their hourly rate.

Speaking of rsingler, he offers a very comprehensive online reg tech course a few times per year. If you are really interested in this and want a pro (remotely) looking over shoulder when you start, this is a great option.

It's the metal cone inside the reg where the HP seat sets on creating the seal between the IP and tank pressure. Unless the reg has been flooded with saltwater (and let set) or damaged by a careless tech, odds are it's in good shape. In other words, don't poke sharp or hard things into the body of the regulator and you should be fine. Minor scratches can be polished out but not causing them in the first place is the best practice.

@herman Good to know. Gonna try and get both the mares and the conshelf working over the winter months, take them out in the spring hopefully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom